Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 Performance trade up to 2023 Model S Plaid - handling differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you gain:
  • A little more interior space
How "open" does the S feel to you compared to the 3?

One of my problems with the S is my head feels surprisingly cramped, almost like the headliner is too big and my head is too close to it. I'm not sure if it's because I haven't found the right seat position (since I've only driven loaners/test drives) compared to my 3.

Reactions: El joe
How "open" does the S feel to you compared to the 3?

One of my problems with the S is my head feels surprisingly cramped, almost like the headliner is too big and my head is too close to it. I'm not sure if it's because I haven't found the right seat position (since I've only driven loaners/test drives) compared to my 3.

Didn’t really notice in head space. It feels wider. Left left arm is further from the door and I can’t reach the passenger door pocket. I did notice that I wanted to lower the seat more and couldn’t so maybe it is closer to the ceiling. But I’m not that tall so hasn’t been an issue.

Reactions: firebat
That is a pretty good synopsis and pretty inline with what I think. Wait until you try the Plaid in track mode.

Still hate the lack of stalks...

Yes, track mode really tightens up the MSP! I’m surprised that track mode has not come up much, especially in a thread about handling and comments mentioning floaty and boaty. It comes very close to that BMW ultimate driving machine feeling. In fact the Ring time of the MSP is about the same as the M5.

Please report back after giving track mode a try.

I had a 2018 M3P and then a 2021 Model S PLAID.
I LOVE THEM BOTH,
The Plaid definitely has advantages in creature comfort, plus my affection for the Yoke.
The M3P was certainly more nimble in feeling, but the Plaid is easier to pace exactly where I want it,
including very precise parking space placement, and that actually makes them pretty much equal for urban use.
The Plaid is quieter and has a much better sound system, plus, if one has children, that wonderful rear screen. Model 3 Performance

I say nothing at all about power, acceleration etc, since all that has been said in more elaborate ways than would I.
In daily use I make them a tossup, but in really hot weather the S has the advantage in large part due to ventilated seats and more powerful AC.
A Highland Model 3 Performance, were that to happen, would probably be my choice again.
FWIW, My Plaid was one fo the first ones with factory 19" wheels, the practical choice if not sexy.
My M3P had aftermarket 18" that looked like factory 19".

Were I budget conscious I'd try to find an excellent used Model S Plaid. There are very good buys to find but, it's important to try to find one that has not be heavily used, i.e. lots of launches and/or track mode. That seems oxymoronic for a Plaid but it happens. Mine, for example, has never done even a single launch, since I bought it for the new motor technology etc. I have no idea how many such cars could be found. Those, though, will not have the suspension and tire problems that are part and parcel to using all that torque and horsepower.

I had a 2018 M3P and then a 2021 Model S PLAID.
I LOVE THEM BOTH,
The Plaid definitely has advantages in creature comfort, plus my affection for the Yoke.
The M3P was certainly more nimble in feeling, but the Plaid is easier to pace exactly where I want it,
including very precise parking space placement, and that actually makes them pretty much equal for urban use.
The Plaid is quieter and has a much better sound system, plus, if one has children, that wonderful rear screen. Model 3 Performance

I say nothing at all about power, acceleration etc, since all that has been said in more elaborate ways than would I.
In daily use I make them a tossup, but in really hot weather the S has the advantage in large part due to ventilated seats and more powerful AC.
A Highland Model 3 Performance, were that to happen, would probably be my choice again.
FWIW, My Plaid was one fo the first ones with factory 19" wheels, the practical choice if not sexy.
My M3P had aftermarket 18" that looked like factory 19".

Were I budget conscious I'd try to find an excellent used Model S Plaid. There are very good buys to find but, it's important to try to find one that has not be heavily used, i.e. lots of launches and/or track mode. That seems oxymoronic for a Plaid but it happens. Mine, for example, has never done even a single launch, since I bought it for the new motor technology etc. I have no idea how many such cars could be found. Those, though, will not have the suspension and tire problems that are part and parcel to using all that torque and horsepower.
Thank you for the input. One clarification requested. If you use the car's power by flooring it from a stop, you ruin the suspension?? I can see wearing tires out, but suspension? What exactly happens?

Reactions: unk45
Thank you for the input. One clarification requested. If you use the car's power by flooring it from a stop, you ruin the suspension?? I can see wearing tires out, but suspension? What exactly happens?
It might accelerate wear on the halfshafts which speculation says is the cause of some vibration. I had a 2022 MS LR that I put hundreds of full throttle passes in and never had the vibration issues. The car 99% of the time was almost never in drag strip mode.

With my Plaid I haven't done nearly as many runs and again rarely in the lower drag strip mode and almost no vibration issues. I had some almost imperceptible vibes before the track pack brakes. I think a bigger issue would be accelerating hard while turning would likely wear the half shafts even quicker.

Reactions: windings and unk45
For clarification I have had no such problems, in fact zero problems of any kind, with my 2021 Plaid and none of any consequence with either my 2014 P85DL nor 2018 P3D. Of course I have rarely stressed them much.

Thanks for all these comments. I was really torn between a used P90D Lud. MS years ago, then pulled the trigger on a M3P. Really, really love it. Go kart go! A bit small, a bit noisy, and a bit bumpy, but feels like a sports car. Now if you compare a new MS Plaid to a new M3P (when they come out), first I look at the price: Maybe $44k for a M3P after rebates vs. $90k (no rebates) for the MS Plaid. Next. We'll there is not next for me, since the MS Plaid is 2X the price. Yes, that's a nicer car in many respects, but gotta have more coins in the pocket. I just drove the Cyber around town the other day. Pretty cool, but obviously "big." The nice thing is all the other cars seems to try to get out of your way.

Just wait for the upcoming ludicrous Model 3 P. Best of both worlds. Own a M3P with coil overs. Rented a Plaid S for a week. There’s a lot I like about the S but I decided the 3 is for me that week. Also, I’ve owned a lot of fast cars. You always eventually get used to the speed or the acceleration. You never stop enjoying ripping around a corner. Hopefully this new 3P comes out soon so I can stop looking at GT3s. 😂

Must be in the minority but the acceleration of the plaid feels very ordinary to me, has for a while. Part of the issue is the lack of any noise. My passengers always have an exaggerated response to the acceleration though.

I can’t imagine there’d be many people cross shopping a 3p or MSP. MS is and will be the big dog.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Must be in the minority but the acceleration of the plaid feels very ordinary to me, has for a while.
I have a hobby car since 30 years.

Very highly modified Mazda Rx3 with turbo tuned engine and ~ 500hp and 2100lbs weight.
The M3P felt about the same 0-50 mph, but then the fun stopped.
The Rx3 started to shine above 60-70mph as the wheels spin mostly was not an issue above that speed.
The Rx3-performance 60-130mph is not too different from the Plaid.

For both cars, the issue of getting used to the power was there, as it is to the Plaid.

Classic thing with the Rx3 has been a overhelming feeling when starting to use it in the summer and also a feeling after a couple of months of lack of power.
The performance computer has shown the same values so the “lack of power” feeling is just me getting too used to the power.
The same is valid for the snow mobile (165hp), feels strong the first drive but in the end of season it need a turbo.

The Plaid is not different, but knowing there isn’t that much faster things to buy helps a little.

Part of the issue is the lack of any noise. My passengers always have an exaggerated response to the acceleration though.
About 30-50% of the passangers that got a power demo with me have developed motion sicknes, thats kind a a good that a “buy over desk” car can cause a tilt of the passengers gyro’s :)

• Love
Reactions: phantasms