Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is so good about the hairpin/4D1 motor?

same as my q earlier:

per @eivissa "These Drive Unit Cat 4 motors are still unknown, but when I switched from Drive Unit CAT 1 (Wire windings) to Drive Unit Cat 2/3 (Hairpin Windings) I could measure more power at higher speeds, more torque and better efficiency. The significantly higher 30 minute power of the Drive Unit Cat 4, must surely translate into real world power that people notice.

It might need the usage in a Performance model or buying the boost in a LR for that"

1/ Do you have any news about the v28 ?
Still nothing. This is a new one, as customers are already picking up their V28/VC28 cars. Maybe Tesla finally found a way to convince the authorities to hold back the documentation. Maybe some federal employee in Europe is just too lazy to upload it into the system.

As usual...as soon as I have it, I will post all relevant details here:
2/ With your Model Y from Berlin you have "Only 398kW", while i have 424kW with my Model 3, is 398 is really your max ? Is it a battery LG limitation ?
My (wives actually) Model Y from Berlin is "only" a long range, not a Performance, so power limited to 980A without Boost, peaking at 325kW.

Were did you get these numbers? 398kW and 424kW?

In any way, yes...the LG battery pack is the power limiting factor. I have made some direct performance comparisons between the M3P with Panasonic and 3D6 motor vs. the M3P with LG and 3D6 motor. The data is here in Post#1 and #164:

I am currently trying to learn python/mathplotlib to visualize all my data of the LG/3D6 and Panasonic 3D6 drivetrain, as I had both cars at the same time and I've gathered tons of data via 24/7 Scan My Tesla and Teslalogger logging. This is relevant to Model 3 and Model Y alike as their power settings/limits are completely identical.

Thanks for your answer and all the informations.

The 398kW are coming from one of your messages and it was with a Berlin MYP :

"This is data from when I measured one of the first MYP out of Giga Berlin (Nr.15 signed by E.M.) with the LG M50 Battery Pack and the (then) newest generation 3D6 Hairpin rear motor:"

The 424 kW is from my Model 3 Pana and Teslamate.

I'm opening to contributing data to the new motor if theres anyone around Atlanta with the OBDLink MX+ (or compatible) that wants to scan the a new 2023 MYP. i should receive a VIN this week with EDD currently scheduled for 3/22 to 3/31

Do you have any information about the V28 / VS04 homologation ? Or are we still on the V27 since october ?
Finally!

4aca8447186ec631f1cf6df48a113eaccb7bcdca.png

c501d73531738c8b9f8605556f12454dcc752202_2_690x457.png

Finally!

4aca8447186ec631f1cf6df48a113eaccb7bcdca.png

c501d73531738c8b9f8605556f12454dcc752202_2_690x457.png

Interesting...

Now I have a M3 LR 2021 with Panasonic 82 kWh with Acceleration Boost. But I always wished the M3P... So I'm selling my LR to get a P. I really love the P's acceleration! But now that I know that P with LG is a bit slower, I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade form my LR AB.

I live in Spain, not in Germany, so the drop in 100-200 km/h is not relevant for me. But I don't like the fact that it seems to be 0.1 slower in 0-100. Is it noticeable? Will the upgrade between my LR AB and P be worth it?

About LG advantages over Panasonic. It seems that LG pack suffer less degradation than Panasonic, right?

Yes. The MIC M3P with Panasonic 82kWh pack came to Europe from Q3/2021 to Q1/2022.

They have much higher degradation than usual, compared to US assembled Panasonic packs and also a very high rate of total failures.

Failure Survey:

Degradation Survey
(check Panasonic 3L MIC / NCA MIC)

Topic @ TFF with big mess ups by Tesla replacing the battery packs with the wrong type or with really old/bad packs on pretty new cars...