Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model YLR Paint Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Carbonmedic

MYLR, Blue, 19”, black interior, 5 seats, OD 5/26
Aug 9, 2021
El Cajon, CA
I have a Blue 2021 Model Y LR. I've discovered that the paint seems to be extremely thin because it scratches easy, e.g., dog jumping into the back seat and nails make scratch marks on the door jab. The primer paint is white and wherever there is an accidental scratch, the white shows through. These are not significant scratches. The paint seems to be very thin and susceptible to minor scratches. Is there a remedy for this?

Same with my new MYP - little white primer marks where some rock strikes / scratches happen. My only solution was to lease the vehicle and treat it as a cell phone and update every so often. They are notoriusly bad at paint.

Some guys do full PPF wraps on the cars. You could buy a touch-up paint kit.

Upvote 0
What seems like white primer is sometimes just an artifact. We had a small scratch on the door panel that practically disappeared by cleaning and polishing with Nu-Finish. But, no paint is impervious. Careful touch-up where necessary is a decent remedy. Maybe apply film to the area most prone to dog scratches. Or if it's the sill there are probably many decorative sill plate protectors available to either prevent or cover up this kind of wear.

Upvote 0
Bros, I'm not sure why everyone is rushing to apologize for tesla here. I mean I have eyes and I see white speckles on a 2 month old vehicle with 1400 miles lol, I'm not taking the car on rally's and I dont live on a dirt road.

I know everyone wants to defend their purchase but really.. come on lol

By the way. Paint thickness is not the end all on paint quality, not at all.

Reactions: Redekw
Upvote 0
Bros, I'm not sure why everyone is rushing to apologize for tesla here. I mean I have eyes and I see white speckles on a 2 month old vehicle with 1400 miles lol, I'm not taking the car on rally's and I dont live on a dirt road.

I know everyone wants to defend their purchase but really.. come on lol

By the way. Paint thickness is not the end all on paint quality, not at all.
its not defending when its every manufacture having the same issues. lets take a look at obsessed garages new GT3 and how it took him hours to polish and fix one fender on his brand new 200k car.
was he mad? no cause he knows every car out of the factory no matter the price is trash paint.

Upvote 0
its not defending when its every manufacture having the same issues. lets take a look at obsessed garages new GT3 and how it took him hours to polish and fix one fender on his brand new 200k car.
was he mad? no cause he knows every car out of the factory no matter the price is trash paint.
There's trash paint, and then there is Sabaru paint. Then there is Tesla paint :D

Upvote 0
I agree, the paint could be better, especially on the front bumper.
On other areas I don't have issues, but the front bumper is so fragile...
I never had this kind of problem on my other cars.

After 2000km (1250miles) I already had so many stone chips.
I regret that I didn't do a front ppf.
I tried to hide it with touch up paint, but so difficult.
My front has now ppf, just wished I did it sooner. 😄

Attachments

• IMG_5391.jpg
    IMG_5391.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5393.jpg
    IMG_5393.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0