Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ModernSpare.com jack for MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The link is a Youtube video of a review of the Modern Spare kit being used on a Model 3. The Modern Spare scissor jack has a rubber pad that will protect the lift point of the Tesla vehicle. The demonstrator uses a jack pad but I think the Modern Spare kit jack is designed to be used without a lift pad (the Modern Spare jack could slip off the jack pad.) The scissor jack is shown at 13:00.

So without a lift pad/puck, the ModernSpare jack's rubber pads should align to the dimples on the chassis?
Yes. I have used it with and without additional pucks. I think I actually like it better without the pucks because the ones I have seem to collapse more than they should. The Modern spare kit is very nice. I bought the complete kit w/ carrying case. The only thing I added was a plastic pry tool to remove the center hub. Don't know why they don't include it as its definitely needed and cost is minimal.

So without a lift pad/puck, the ModernSpare jack's rubber pads should align to the dimples on the chassis?
You have to align the Modern Spare jack with the Tesla lift point but the rectangular shape of the top of the Modern Spare jack will fit the width of the rail of the Tesla although there is nothing on the top of the jack to fit the hole at the Tesla's lift point. The jack pad is best used with a low profile floor jack that has a cup shaped plate at the lift point of the jack.

Thanks for the comments, very informative.

To be able to rotate the tires on MY, I'm thinking of buying a used spare tire maybe from junk yard or craigslist. I see them occasionally sell for $75-100. I will NOT be driving on this spare tire and the ModernSpare is bit pricey to be used as a tire rotation placeholder. How do I look for a suitable fitting spare tire, is matching the bolt pattern sufficient? Again, I won't be driving on the spare so the ride height shouldn't matter.

I thought of buying 2 ModernSpare jacks to be able to do tire rotation but I'm not comfortable with having MY raised on 2 of these jacks (i.e. intended use is one jack at a time).

I have two low cost floor jacks to lift properly. They have a clearance of 5.125" minimum to just fit under without the centering pucks. Real tight fit with pucks if I raise the M S with air suspension.

I have the Modern Spare full kit for my road trips as well as the Tesla pump system. Last thing I want is the delay and high cost of a flat tire on a trip. The floor jacks are much easier and faster than those emergency jacks. The two jacks cost less than Tesla charges for one tire rotation service.