Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the puck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 LRMY (built in Freemont) I was going by the measurement of the Reverse Logic puck I own that fits my Model Y. My caliper is unfortunately not metric, I used a ruler to measure the Reverse Logic puck.
I would be curious of your hole diameter. Borrow or buy an inexpensive caliper. That's the only was to get an accurage measurement.

So far it seems that ONLY the MY AWD (base version) built in Austin has the 20 mm hole.

I would find it hard to believe that the giga factories are mixing and matching hole sizes for all trim models of the Model Y.

I would be curious of your hole diameter. Borrow or buy an inexpensive caliper. That's the only was to get an accurage measurement.

So far it seems that ONLY the MY AWD (base version) built in Austin has the 20 mm hole.

I would find it hard to believe that the giga factories are mixing and matching hole sizes for all trim models of the Model Y.
No need to take measurements as my 2020 LRMY is one of hundreds of thousands of such vehicles, built at the Tesla Freemont assembly plant, that have a 25 mm hole at each of the 4 lift points. The only unknown, is the diameter of the hole at the lift point of vehicles built in Austin, perhaps Freemont in 2023.

The Dual Motor Tesla Model Y (279 mile range), built in Austin and using the 4680 battery design is no longer available on the Tesla ordering page. Perhaps never to return as Tesla pivots to some other Tesla Model Y vehicle and battery configuration. (My vote is for a new RWD Model Y that uses the LFP battery.)

Reactions: tradosaurus
That would be incorrect.

My MYLR was built in Austin, as verified by my VIN#, delivered early September 2023, and has 25 mm holes.
I'm starting to believe ONLY the MY AWD (or standard model) has the 20 mm hole. Why I don't know.
Why only start to believe it.

That is, indeed, exactly the case.

Only the Texas Model Y's with the structural battery pack using the 4860 cells have the 20mm holes. And today, this is only the configuration Tesla calls the "Model Y AWD", which while not on the configurator website any longer (after a change Tesla made last week), it remains available for purchase.
How?
For the next few days or so, there are still "Model Y AWD" models with the 279 mile range available for purchase; just go to Tesla.com and look at "Inventory" vehicles.

The other Model Y's, with the initial legacy design to utilize the 2170 cells, does have 25 mm holes at the lift plates in the chassis.
That is true, whether the LR MY or the Performance LR MY is assembled in Austin, or in Fremont.

Last edited:
"I would find it hard to believe that the giga factories are mixing and matching hole sizes for all trim models of the Model Y."
Well, believe it.

The structural battery pack Model Y (4680 cells) is manufactured on a different line section than the legacy way to build Model Y's. This line has many many different process flows, and is much more efficient for Tesla: reduced part count, reduced labor, many fewer mfg operations to be done by humans working inside the door frames with ppl in awkward working positions, etc. It is the future, but few will be made this next quarter or so since Tesla has tight limits on 4680 cell availability.

BOTH lines have existed at the Austin factory for over 6 months now.

There is a lot of speculation for why Tesla took the 279-mile "Model Y AWD" configuration off of the Configurator last week; but the best theory in my view is that 4680 cell production remains quite constrained as Tesla is working up the S-curve of new production, and Tesla is simply choosing to be able to build more Cybertrucks in the near term, as both Cybertruck and the structural battery pack Model Y can only use the 4680 cells. @jcanoe expressed a different theory, above.

Last edited:
By the way, those vehicles of this configuration that were already built and are not yet sold, won't be available long.

Just checked the available INVENTORY in several cities on this next-to-the-last weekend in the 3rd quarter.

"Model Y AWD" w 279 mile range:
Denver still had several available yesterday, but is now sold out. Chicago has three of these vehicles, Atlanta two, Los Angeles just one.
You can no doubt locate many others in inventory around the US; but they are rapidly being sold.
And you cannot order one off of the Configurator now.

Last edited:
Well, believe it.

The structural battery pack Model Y (4680 cells) is manufactured on a different line section than the legacy way to build Model Y's. This line has many many different process flows, and is much more efficient for Tesla: reduced part count, reduced labor, many fewer mfg operations to be done by humans working inside the door frames with ppl in awkward working positions, etc. It is the future, but few will be made this next quarter or so since Tesla has tight limits on 4680 cell availability.

BOTH lines have existed at the Austin factory for over 6 months now.

There is a lot of speculation for why Tesla took the 279-mile "Model Y AWD" configuration off of the Configurator last week; but the best theory in my view is that 4680 cell production remains quite constrained as Tesla is working up the S-curve of new production, and Tesla is simply choosing to be able to build more Cybertrucks in the near term, as both Cybertruck and the structural battery pack Model Y can only use the 4680 cells. @jcanoe expressed a different theory, above.

So far it seems only the MY AWD (base model) has the 20mm hole for the pucks. Do you have any facts, besides assuming, that would clarify this?

I ended up finding the following item on eBay that’s listed with the .79“/20mm diameter. A similar item wasn’t available to ship until November, whereas this is available now. Crossing my fingers this works out.

• Informative
Reactions: MY1stEV
I ended up finding the following item on eBay that’s listed with the .79“/20mm diameter. A similar item wasn’t available to ship until November, whereas this is available now. Crossing my fingers this works out.

Those are exactly what I bought for my Feb 2022 MSLR. Not quit 25mm which is 0.98". Zoom into pic, it measures 0.95". They fit perfectly.
20230930_092008.jpg

I had purchased four of these, tried them today. Does not fit on a Austin / April 2023 MY.

View attachment 978835
Darn. I have one of these on order.

Will let everyone know when I try it on my Aug '23 Model Y.

But if the diameter is 22 mm, as you said in you later post, they won't fit. My four holes where the jack pads go are each only 20 mm. ... so will likely have to send it back via Amazon.

NOTE TO EVERYONE ELSE reading this thread: the smaller (20 mm) jack-point holes have only EVER BEEN SEEN/MEASURED/REPORTED on Model Y's by TMC ppl who bought the "279-mi range "Tesla Model Y AWD", which was only available from Tesla from Mar 2023 thru Sep 2023, was mfgd at Austin, Texas, and uses the new "structural battery pack" with the Gen 1 4860 battery cells. So most Model Y's don't require the smaller 20 mm extension, and the 25 mm extension on various lift pucks that can be bought will work fine for you.

(Also, Tesla is currently re-configuring the Kato Road 4860 batt line in California, ostensibly, to upgrade it for the Gen2 4860 cells that will be used in Cybertruck, and the Tesla Semi, after the first 80 or so production Semis delivered. This is likely one reason why the 279-mile AWD model is no longer being sold as of Oct 2023.)

NOTE TO EVERYONE ELSE reading this thread: the smaller (20 mm) jack-point holes have only EVER BEEN SEEN/MEASURED/REPORTED on Model Y's by TMC ppl who bought the "279-mi range "Tesla Model Y AWD", which was only available from Tesla from Mar 2023 thru Sep 2023, was mfgd at Austin, Texas
I had no idea the 279 mile range MY had such a short production run. No wonder we can’t get pucks. Anyone know how many were made?

Sounds like we have a classic.

There is now a new US Austin Built Tesla "Model Y" (RWD with a new battery (probably LFP)), with a stated range of 260 miles. The latest variation "Model Y" is only available in a 5 seat configuration so it is likely built on the same design as the recent discontinued Tesla Model Y (AWD) with the 1st generation of the 4680 battery cell and 279 mile range.

The Long Range Model Y, dual motor, 330 mile range continues to be available in a 5 seat and 7 seat configuration. The Performance Model Y continues to be available from Tesla.

I am looking to get a set of pucks for my '23 Fremont built MY, but there are just too many on Amazon.
Which ones did you guys get? A link would be great!
Have you used them? Looks like there are a few reports of the things breaking.
Thanks for any suggestions!