Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the puck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me too... gone mine on Amazon. They deform like hell though. Gonna have to get the hard kind, like the red ones listed in this thread.
IMG-1431.jpg

IMG-1583.jpg
What the ? Why is the puck not sitting flat on the underbody?
Are the side clearances different on the Fremont and Austin cars and the structural pack/

On my Fremont car, the pucks sit flat.

Attachments

• PXL_20230319_180224037.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230319_180224037.MP.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 99
  • PXL_20230907_193432410.jpg
    PXL_20230907_193432410.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Reactions: father_of_6
Darn. I have one of these on order.

Will let everyone know when I try it on my Aug '23 Model Y.

But if the diameter is 22 mm, as you said in you later post, they won't fit. My four holes where the jack pads go are each only 20 mm. ... so will likely have to send it back via Amazon.

NOTE TO EVERYONE ELSE reading this thread: the smaller (20 mm) jack-point holes have only EVER BEEN SEEN/MEASURED/REPORTED on Model Y's by TMC ppl who bought the "279-mi range "Tesla Model Y AWD", which was only available from Tesla from Mar 2023 thru Sep 2023, was mfgd at Austin, Texas, and uses the new "structural battery pack" with the Gen 1 4860 battery cells. So most Model Y's don't require the smaller 20 mm extension, and the 25 mm extension on various lift pucks that can be bought will work fine for you.

(Also, Tesla is currently re-configuring the Kato Road 4860 batt line in California, ostensibly, to upgrade it for the Gen2 4860 cells that will be used in Cybertruck, and the Tesla Semi, after the first 80 or so production Semis delivered. This is likely one reason why the 279-mile AWD model is no longer being sold as of Oct 2023.)
Yes. I am confirming what @fholbert said earlier, upthread.

For those of you who have the 279 mile range, Model Y AWD, manufactured at Austin (with an "A" in the 7th-character-from-the-last in the VIN) during 2023 ...

The Potauto lift pucks, which claim to be 20 mm in diameter across the puck protrusion, WILL NOT FIT. They are not, in fact, 20 mm as received, and as I learned in modifying the aluminum puck, they need to be ~19.5 mm diameter in order to fit the (short-run) 2023 Model Y AWD (279 mile range) that was (to date) only manufactured at Tesla Austin from March 2023 through Sept. 2023, when Tesla removed it from the configurator.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/1696201048635-png.978835/

I will write a fuller thread in the next couple days to describe how I hand-filed them and what was required to make them fit.
as well as describe the problem with ONLY this particular model of the Model Y.

• Helpful
Reactions: zoomer0056
I have tried several pucks from Amazon and eBay, each purporting to be 20 mm, and neither came close to fitting. Feeling orphaned on this front adds to the disappointments I’ve experienced with my Austin 4680 AWD (the other being the abysmal DCFC charge curve).

Reactions: fholbert
For those of you who have the 279 mile range, Model Y AWD, manufactured at Austin (with an "A" in the 7th-character-from-the-last in the VIN) during 2023 ...

The Potauto lift pucks, which claim to be 20 mm in diameter across the puck protrusion, WILL NOT FIT. They are not, in fact, 20 mm as received, and as I learned in modifying the aluminum puck, they need to be ~19.5 mm diameter in order to fit the (short-run) 2023 Model Y AWD (279 mile range) that was (to date) only manufactured at Tesla Austin from March 2023 through Sept. 2023, when Tesla removed it from the configurator.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/1696201048635-png.978835/
I took the puck that came from Potauto and hand-filed the aluminum down to ~19.5 mm in order to fit my Model Y with a structural battery pack.

It came 21.8 mm outside diameter. When I got to a clean 20 mm as measured by the micrometer, it still wouldn't fit. So I took it down to 19.5 mm.

Attachments

• 20231019_TeslaPuckInitial.jpg
    20231019_TeslaPuckInitial.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 48
  • 20231019_TeslaPuckFiledDown.jpg
    20231019_TeslaPuckFiledDown.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: zoomer0056
I took the puck that came from Potauto and hand-filed the aluminum down to ~19.5 mm in order to fit my Model Y with a structural battery pack.

It came 21.8 mm outside diameter. When I got to a clean 20 mm as measured by the micrometer, it still wouldn't fit. So I took it down to 19.5 mm.
I’ve thought about doing the same, but have been looking for a way to spin the puck to reduce the size. I’d also like to have soft pucks.

Anyone has any ideas?

Hockey pucks and a 3D printer or knowing someone who can print it for you is the way to go. Can make the nipple part to the size you want. See here
I've not touched a puck in 30 years but I bet they would be excellent for this and be soft enough to protect the paint a bit without compressing. I've a 3d printer and want to go this route.

1) The holes in those pucks came from where? They look pre-drilled but I haven't seen pucks with holes

2) Is the plastic guide really strong enough for this? I know most forces are vertical but I assume there is a little bit of lateral once the jacking starts

3) I assume in all these cases the puck is going past the lip of the jack's receiver, right, so that it's basically stabbing them? Most of the jacks I've seen look like this, and I'm not sure these are all big enough to take a 3" puck...?

1698066339126.png

I've not touched a puck in 30 years but I bet they would be excellent for this and be soft enough to protect the paint a bit without compressing. I've a 3d printer and want to go this route.

1) The holes in those pucks came from where? They look pre-drilled but I haven't seen pucks with holes

2) Is the plastic guide really strong enough for this? I know most forces are vertical but I assume there is a little bit of lateral once the jacking starts

3) I assume in all these cases the puck is going past the lip of the jack's receiver, right, so that it's basically stabbing them? Most of the jacks I've seen look like this, and I'm not sure these are all big enough to take a 3" puck...?

View attachment 984610
The holes? I machined those out. Only did it so I could snap them together when stored, not required

Never had an issue with the plastic printed part, really only there to keep it in place

I have store bought ones for the Y, they are identical in size to a hockey puck. Not sure what floor jack you have but I have 2 and both are able to take the puck without getting stabbed.

Reactions: EatsShoots
The holes? I machined those out. Only did it so I could snap them together when stored, not required

Never had an issue with the plastic printed part, really only there to keep it in place

I have store bought ones for the Y, they are identical in size to a hockey puck. Not sure what floor jack you have but I have 2 and both are able to take the puck without getting stabbed.
I rotated the tires on my MYLR last week for the 1st time. It was my 1st time using the pucks too. My puck got a bit indented from the raised points on the jack's metal cup/support, though not bad. Just the same, the jack probably would have scratched the lift point a bit had I lined the jack up directly with the lift point, skipping the puck. I think the pucks are a cheap way of helping double check that I'm lifting at the proper point with nothing slipping.

I actually have 2 jacks and a set of 4 pucks so I lifted an entire side of the car up at once, simplifying rotation. Just lifting the back tire first managed to lift the whole side of the car, including the front tire, but it seemed a bit unstable so I continued to support the front part of the car with my 2nd jack before I actually removed the front tire, though perhaps I could have swapped both tires with just the jack lifting at the rear point. Is that what people are doing when they only use 1 jack during tire rotations?

Last edited: