Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ModS takes over first position in Canada EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kenliles

Jun 7, 2012
“It is important to note that with such tremendous gains, Tesla did not necessarily conquest customers from other electric vehicle OEMs, but instead, brought new customers from outside the electric vehicle market to grow the current EV customer base,” wrote Ben Garden for IHS Automotive.

'The Canadian auto market is around one-tenth the size of the U.S. by volume, and Tesla is undoubtedly bolstered by backorders, but it keeps expanding its Canadian footprint, and its popularity has kept new orders coming as Tesla is also expanding to Europe and Asia.'

Model S Is Canadas Top-Selling EV - HybridCars.com

Very cool!

Now if we could just get some superchargers...

+1
I'm US but agree 100% I think Tesla needs to move Canada SC up the priority ladder from current status. It's not only an important market, it's very conducive to SC benefit. The good news looks like end of 2014 puts SC in a pretty good footing. Hang in there canada brothers!

I think JP White said it very well in his comment:

Tesla have read the market just right, hence their amazing success. For some reason the OEM's abandoned the typical model they use to introduce new technology leaving the market wide open for Tesla. Let me explain.

On Star was first introduced to Cadillacs only. Later the On Star system is now installed in all GM vehicles. The model made sense. Provide the new tech (which is initially expensive) to less price sensitive buyers this also limits the number of vehicles with the new technology and any unexpected warranty costs are kept to a minimum. Keyless entry, digital dashboards, LED Headlights. All these technologies started in the premium vehicles and tricked down to the economy models later once the tech was perfected.

For some reason both GM and Nissan have taken it upon themselves to introduce EV technology at the economy end of their model range, where buyers are price sensitive and wary of new tech with 'unknown' reliability and maintenance costs. GM and Nissan have been caught flat footed and have NO ANSWER to the Model S. The newly introduced Cadillac ELR, which is basically a posh Volt doesn't compare..Infiniti EV? Delayed at least 2 years.

By the time the traditional OEM's have a response to Tesla, Tesla will have the market to themselves. Well done Mr Musk!!

So true! But if we keep up this buying pace, we can't be ignored for long. On the bright side, our 3G will work down there (so I've been told - mine arrives in Feb) whereas their screens go blank coming up here (so I've read). I live on the west coast a few blocks from the border and we go down to the States a lot so thanks go to Tesla for that perk!

Last edited:
So true! But if we keep up this buying pace, we can't be ignored for long. On the bright side, our 3G will work down there (so I've been told - mine arrives in Feb) whereas their screens go blank coming up here (so I've read). I live on the west coast a few blocks from the border and we go down to the States a lot so thanks go to Tesla for that perk!

I live in South Surrey so hello neighbour. The 3G does work in both Canada and the US although you will find many pockets around SS/WR where the reception is very poor and gets dropped. Not a Tesla problem though - just poor local wifi infrastructure.

“It is important to note that with such tremendous gains, Tesla did not necessarily conquest customers from other electric vehicle OEMs, but instead, brought new customers from outside the electric vehicle market to grow the current EV customer base,” wrote Ben Garden for IHS Automotive.

'The Canadian auto market is around one-tenth the size of the U.S. by volume, and Tesla is undoubtedly bolstered by backorders, but it keeps expanding its Canadian footprint, and its popularity has kept new orders coming as Tesla is also expanding to Europe and Asia.'

Model S Is Canadas Top-Selling EV - HybridCars.com

" Since launching in 2012 it achieved 20-percent market share that same year compared to Nissan’s 40 percent and Mitsubishi’s 31 percent, and for 2013 it’s now at 43 percent, surpassing Nissan’s 35 percent and Mitsubishi’s 11 percent. "

43 % of what ? What is the total number of sold EV´s in Canada ?

Very cool!

Indeed! And Canada is easy. It's a one-highway country; just supercharge the TCH and we're all set to go. I note in the supercharger map not only is there no coverage in atlantic canada, but most of the region isn't really even included in the map...it's just cropped out! :D Maybe they assume nothing of any interest or consequence happens here - that we're basically the Wyoming of canada. It's a correct assumption, but still... :eek: