Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Montreal delivery experience: not so great

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

So I ordered my Tesla Model 3 SR+ about 4 weeks ago.

I got an appointment today in the afternoon, so I took off at my job to go get it. Had to have someone pick me up and everything.

I get there and they tell me two minutes after I arrive: we are very sorry, we are having issues with your car there are error messages, we will try to update to get the errors gone. It’s very rare this happens and we are not sure why, but we think with a firmware upgrade it should fix things.

At that point, I have a bit if anxiety: are they selling me a lemon?

One hour and a half later, they tell me good news your car is ready. We will sign your paperwork and give you the car. The guy tells me I have to sign that I have received the car BEFORE i even see it. I tell him thats not how it works. (I was happy to purchase from Tesla as I thought those usual dealership shady practices would not happen there). He did not want to let go and tried to argue with me that it everybody signs the document before seeing the car. I tell him I wont sign it and go get his manager.

Finally the manager says NO PROBLEM at all, go see it. I notice some paint defects that cannot be fixed, so I tell him I want to add it to the document. He tells me they absolutely CANNOT add it... at that point im like wtf, thats what the document is for.

Finally again, the manager comes and says yes no problem we will add the details of things that have to get fixed and I sign. Now thats done. I don’t feel too good and I’m a bit overwhelmed.

I drive out the parking, 4 km away, several error messages appear: regenerative breaking disabled, traction control disabled, etc.

So they tell me to just do a hard reset and it should fix things.

Everything is fixed. For now. Im scared those errors come back and that they appeared for a reason. I don’t know.

Overall delivery experience: tiring and sadly not fully different from other dealers. And dont sign the document before you see the car as you won’t have much power to get defects fixed after that.

Hey everyone,

So I ordered my Tesla Model 3 SR+ about 4 weeks ago.

I got an appointment today in the afternoon, so I took off at my job to go get it. Had to have someone pick me up and everything.

I get there and they tell me two minutes after I arrive: we are very sorry, we are having issues with your car there are error messages, we will try to update to get the errors gone. It’s very rare this happens and we are not sure why, but we think with a firmware upgrade it should fix things.

At that point, I have a bit if anxiety: are they selling me a lemon?

One hour and a half later, they tell me good news your car is ready. We will sign your paperwork and give you the car. The guy tells me I have to sign that I have received the car BEFORE i even see it. I tell him thats not how it works. (I was happy to purchase from Tesla as I thought those usual dealership shady practices would not happen there). He did not want to let go and tried to argue with me that it everybody signs the document before seeing the car. I tell him I wont sign it and go get his manager.

Finally the manager says NO PROBLEM at all, go see it. I notice some paint defects that cannot be fixed, so I tell him I want to add it to the document. He tells me they absolutely CANNOT add it... at that point im like wtf, thats what the document is for.

Finally again, the manager comes and says yes no problem we will add the details of things that have to get fixed and I sign. Now thats done. I don’t feel too good and I’m a bit overwhelmed.

I drive out the parking, 4 km away, several error messages appear: regenerative breaking disabled, traction control disabled, etc.

Everything is fixed. For now. Im scared those errors come back and that they appeared for a reason. I don’t know.

Overall delivery experience: tiring and sadly not fully different from other dealers. And dont sign the document before you see the car as you won’t have much power to get defects fixed after that.
I took delivery of mine in Montreal in Dec 18. I inspected the car before signing. You did the right thing. However I got to say that the guy who handed me the car was rude and not helpful.

I wouldn't worry too much. I had these errors once in the first few days of ownership. Did a reset and they went away. Had it over a year now and no repeat, no issues.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
After an update there’s a chance for ‘false positive’ errors like that to show up. After every update I do one or two hard resets to be sure those don’t happen.

*sigh* This just shows what happens when you go from 65 staff to 25 and double the workload. Something has to give.

I wouldn't worry about the errors: the car is calibrating a lot of sensors and disabling functionality after an update.

The attempts at the delivery person to make you sign prematurely and to refuse to log day one defects to be fixed later, on the other hand, are extremely unprofessional. Glad at least the manager had more sense.

Reactions: SmartElectric
We got our car in Montreal on Monday. Experience was much quieter. We had to wait for about 30 minutes. I spotted the car and checked the VIN, it was ours. We walked through and the experience was good. We checked the paint and they polished to ensure it was all clear and clean. Checked it all. Only thing they forgot to do was pair my phone as key, but I did that myself. We were warned that the calibration for the cameras would take a bit of time.

I would have appreciated had they topped up the car battery, but I trickle charged it. All is good.

The attempts at the delivery person to make you sign prematurely and to refuse to log day one defects to be fixed later, on the other hand, are extremely unprofessional. Glad at least the manager had more sense.

I have a hunch I know why that happens, though: auditing rules mean that if something is jotted down on the documents as still needing to be fixed, then the revenue may not be recognised unless every item has been checked off. Since it's close to the end of the quarter and some of these people get boni (bonusses) for deliveries recognised in Q2, they may be tempted to try to cut corners (but as I said, it is very unprofessional; what they need to do is not cut corners but instead work their arses off to get it fixed in June).

Which is why I'm usually not going to fuss about minuscule panel alignment issues if I'm treated with a modicum of civility: I'm not going to affect the delivery guy's salary if I can avoid it.

Unless I smell that they are trying to cut corners, pressing me to sign off before I see the car or trying to sweep stuff under the rug, because then I'll make sure absolutely everything is jotted down.

I have in the past refused delivery of an Audi for similar reasons -- and changed dealership, so no cookie for the guy that tried to pull one on me.

hummm I haven't taken the delivery yet but based on my experience so far with the Montreal office, I'm not too happy. The sales guy don't reply to your email/text.

What's more the overall tesla customer service is not so impressive... I tried to reach their delivery office today and on the phone it keeps saying the office is closed and opens Sat & Sun from 8am to 5pm PST yet I tried all day to get in, only to hear the same thing every time... Also does anyone feels that their phone system quality is terrible at least in Canada? When you speak with them it's like they are speaking under water with incredible lags... IS THEIR OFFICE ON MARS OR SOMETHING????