Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More options for Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my 2022 MYLR a few weeks ago and am loving it. One item for possible improvement is the Homelink option, which is an extra and needs to be scheduled for post-delivery installation by Tesla. The normal Homelink that I am accustomed to has three channels. I live in a gated community and have a garage door; I also visit another nearby gated community often. My previous ride (Volvo XC60) had the three hard Homelink buttons set as follows: 1= Gates in my community, 2=garage door, 3= other gated community gates. Each of the two gated communities has multiple gates; the assigned button would open any of the gates within that community, as the same frequency/rolling code is the used for all gates within that community.

Fast forward to my new Tesla: I finally got channel 1 (my gated community's main gate) and channel2: (garage door opener) up and running (haven't yet tried to do the other gated community for the third channel). Now to my problem. Setting the channel 1 link for my main gate required me to park in front of the gate in order to program the channel. Unlike my old Homelink, Tesla's version marries a channel to a GPS location in order to give it the "no touch" functionality, i.e. the gate opens automatically upon approach. I'm guessing that the software that performs this positional function is Tesla's, not Homelink's. This is OK, but now I can't open any of the other gates in my community easily, as they are not included in the programmed GPS coordinates. I can do it manually, the Homelink icon (pre V11 upgrade) stayed on the home screen in the status bar, so it required a manual tap (actually 2 - one to get to the channel selection option and then a second to choose "gate" rather than "garage"). Now, post V11, the Homelink icon is totally missing from the status bar until you approach one of the preset GPS locations, so in order to open another of my gates I need to first hit the car icon at bottom left to get a page with the Homelink icon on it, and then two more taps as above to get another gate to open.

While this is doable, it is aggravating and entails quite a bit of distraction to accomplish. I know that Homelink has an intrinsic limitation of three channels, so adding channels is not a solution. I would like to suggest that Tesla programmers allow multiple GPS locations for a given channel assignment- it seems like this could be done fairly easily. This way a given channel's frequency can be used at multiple locations. Has anyone else been annoyed by this limitation? Any suggestions as to how I can contact Tesla to see if they can include a future work-around?

Reactions: LionXng
Yes, unfortunately, it seems like you have discovered the only way to make this work with the new software -- hit car, hit the icon at the top that used to always be at the top of the screen.

I really hope they bring that icon back (along with the signal, sentry and dashcam icons)

Reactions: Kevinaldo
The only workaround I see is to use standard static code for most of your doors, which Is quite stupid in terms of security.
I can't understand how come they store only 3 codes.
I mean simplest remotes now a days have 4 codes stored, and our Tesla is not simple remotes!

Can’t you program the GPS location right at the gate or are you using a different gate for entry/exit? I’d park in front of it and then program it. Whenever you’re within 50’ of GPS location, it’ll recognize and begin to send signal. You can adjust how soon it triggers signal as well. Not understanding why this doesn’t work?