Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More S delay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered my Tesla S at the end of February, got an delivery update yesterday between June 1 and June 30th. Then just got another update today showing August. Why can't Tesla tell the buyers what is going on and what are the problems they are having?

Tesla have 10,000+ built vehicles in a containment hold because of a missing part(s) that suppliers can't provide (likely due to the electronic components shortage every manufacturer is feeling). In addition, this is a "new" model, and there may be unknown certification and production delays. I am sure Tesla wants them built and shipped as soon as possible. If they had their way, they would ship tomorrow. They are as anxious as you are. They do not know when THE date is, and just provide an estimate.

I'm disagreeing with your "unknown certification delays". Parts are parts, obviously they're running short on something for the 3/Y but the MS sitting on the lot now those are new. Compared to a shot of Fremont on May 13, to Gabeincal's on May 15 we went from no cars to 100s of MS. Finally the line looks like it's in production. The 3/Y issue is doubtful that it has any impact on the MS delays. The biggest delay thus far had nothing to do with parts but with the drastic retooling that was required of the main M/X production line that started up two days ago.

I'm also disagreeing with your thinking that Tesla is trying as hard as they can. If they were, they'd be communicating just a little bit of information to the 1000s of MS buyers and even worse the MX buyers that are left in the dark with random updates coming now on a site with still no VIN assignment.

They should have shut down the site for loans etc just like the Cybertruck reservation page. Or even the same as they did for the nose cone refresh. But instead this one has been a waiting game of people given dates, taken away, moved around, blah blah all without any update from Tesla. Best we got is that it's very hard to do production.

I'm disagreeing with your "unknown certification delays". Parts are parts, obviously they're running short on something for the 3/Y but the MS sitting on the lot now those are new. Compared to a shot of Fremont on May 13, to Gabeincal's on May 15 we went from no cars to 100s of MS. Finally the line looks like it's in production. The 3/Y issue is doubtful that it has any impact on the MS delays. The biggest delay thus far had nothing to do with parts but with the drastic retooling that was required of the main M/X production line that started up two days ago.

I'm also disagreeing with your thinking that Tesla is trying as hard as they can. If they were, they'd be communicating just a little bit of information to the 1000s of MS buyers and even worse the MX buyers that are left in the dark with random updates coming now on a site with still no VIN assignment.

They should have shut down the site for loans etc just like the Cybertruck reservation page. Or even the same as they did for the nose cone refresh. But instead this one has been a waiting game of people given dates, taken away, moved around, blah blah all without any update from Tesla. Best we got is that it's very hard to do production.
Took the words right out of my mouth!

Reactions: doubleshot
Tesla have 10,000+ built vehicles in a containment hold because of a missing part(s) that suppliers can't provide (likely due to the electronic components shortage every manufacturer is feeling). In addition, this is a "new" model, and there may be unknown certification and production delays. I am sure Tesla wants them built and shipped as soon as possible. If they had their way, they would ship tomorrow. They are as anxious as you are. They do not know when THE date is, and just provide an estimate.
Can you provide proof Tesla has built 10,000+ model S’s that are awaiting some parts before being delivered?

Can you provide proof Tesla has built 10,000+ model S’s that are awaiting some parts before being delivered?
Not model S, but parts are parts, and these vehicles are built with many similar parts. The shortage sure isn't helping get the new Model S into production.

See update To the post I just edited.
I agree that Tesla not having the parts it needs could delay the model s but that’s clearly not what’s happening. If it were then they’d have a batch of model S’s built awaiting parts like the 3 and the y.
There’s definitely another reason, could be the yoke steering wheel. Could be the 3 motor design, maybe some software tweaks that need to be made for the new 3 motor powertrain. Only a handful of people truly know and they ain’t talking.

On the bright side at least we now have a date for a delivery event so there’s progress being made. I’ve been waiting to upgrade my car since December, I’m 75% set on another brand but waiting to see what the plaid model s brings to the table before making the final decision.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I agree that Tesla not having the parts it needs could delay the model s but that’s clearly not what’s happening. If it were then they’d have a batch of model S’s built awaiting parts like the 3 and the y.
There’s definitely another reason, could be the yoke steering wheel. Could be the 3 motor design, maybe some software tweaks that need to be made for the new 3 motor powertrain. Only a handful of people truly know and they ain’t talking.

It cannot be for the trimotor only - most of those stacked on the grounds are LR models.

Reactions: doubleshot