Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most efficient charging level

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the TL;DR

Over the last few months, I've been curious about charging efficiency for my Model 3P and so I decided to do a small test:

My wife has a very consistent driving schedule with it and so if you tracked from day to day and week to week, the charge level of the car (as well as the at-home charging cycles are very similar over time; i.e. She leaves at a certain time, comes back at a certain time, plugs in at a certain time and the car will charge to the same set level of 65%.

It's to the point where the car basically uses 15-16% charge every weekday, and replenishes that charge starting at the same time of the late afternoon Mon-Fr. Of course there are still the odd trips to other places and longer drives, but in general the car lives at between 50%-65% charge.

Over the past few months, I've varied basically only the AC home charging power level (8-48 amps) on a level II Tesla Wall charger unit. I use the iPhone app "Tessie" to track what it calls "Charging Efficiency" where it see how much power came thru the charger total, and compares that against what the car battery reported it got from that charge session; the closer those two numbers are, the closer to 100% charge efficiency.

I know I can't control things like ambient temperature, or how hot or cold the pack was when the charge actually started, but I tried to hold as many variables as steady as I could, realistically.

Results:

After varying between 4 charge levels several times from dozens of charging sessions at 8, 24, 36, and 48 amps the results are a little surprising to me.

At 8 amps it recovers the 15% charge in 6 hours +/- 10 minutes with an efficiency of 73-81%
At 24 amps it recovers the 15% charge in 2 hours +/- 10 minutes with an efficiency of 76-88%
At 36 amps it recovers the 15% charge in 1 hour 20 minutes +/- 5 minutes with an efficiency of 97-99%
At 48 amps it recovers the 15% charge in 1 hour 5 minutes +/- 5 minutes with an efficiency of 70-77%

I know that the Tessie app as well as the Tesla itself is not really measuring, with closed-loop accuracy, the state of charge of the pack, and much of the data is actually "interpolated" (like range in miles), but I still found the results very compelling with 36 amps seemingly being a sweet spot, and 8 amps being too little to not have large losses during a longer charging session (or perhaps just too low a current to get very accurate readings?) and 48 amps for some reason suffering large losses during shorter charging sessions even though 48 amps AC is FAR below the charging capacity of the pack. (Could it be resistance building in the charger and the charge wire itself? Since it only gets "Warm" at charge levels approaching its' max of 48 amps)

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else tracks these kinds of numbers and has seen anything even remotely similar. I'll try another test run starting in the middle of summer, and I want to see if the efficiency numbers just all skew upwards at the same rate given temperature. Until then, I've left the wall charger set at 36 amps and consistent with prior test, it constantly reports a charging efficiency always in the 90's and the several times I needed a quicker boost at 48 amps, the efficiency is always much lower.

48972905067_a09a2b2fc6_b.jpg

"Tesla Model 3 Supercharging board computer in the car during the charging phase" by verchmarco is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Someone on TMC did a test with an older Model S and a gen1 charge cord, highest speed was 40 amps.
They found the highest efficiencies were at 25 amps and 40 amps.
I figure 25 amps incurred less voltage loss/heat/resistance in the cord, and I figure that 40 amps maximized car sleep time by completing the quickest.
The Model S consumes approximately 300 watts of power while awake (another TMC test, they also reported what each accessory drew.)

Sorry for the TL;DR

Over the last few months, I've been curious about charging efficiency for my Model 3P and so I decided to do a small test:

My wife has a very consistent driving schedule with it and so if you tracked from day to day and week to week, the charge level of the car (as well as the at-home charging cycles are very similar over time; i.e. She leaves at a certain time, comes back at a certain time, plugs in at a certain time and the car will charge to the same set level of 65%.

It's to the point where the car basically uses 15-16% charge every weekday, and replenishes that charge starting at the same time of the late afternoon Mon-Fr. Of course there are still the odd trips to other places and longer drives, but in general the car lives at between 50%-65% charge.

Over the past few months, I've varied basically only the AC home charging power level (8-48 amps) on a level II Tesla Wall charger unit. I use the iPhone app "Tessie" to track what it calls "Charging Efficiency" where it see how much power came thru the charger total, and compares that against what the car battery reported it got from that charge session; the closer those two numbers are, the closer to 100% charge efficiency.

I know I can't control things like ambient temperature, or how hot or cold the pack was when the charge actually started, but I tried to hold as many variables as steady as I could, realistically.

Results:

After varying between 4 charge levels several times from dozens of charging sessions at 8, 24, 36, and 48 amps the results are a little surprising to me.

At 8 amps it recovers the 15% charge in 6 hours +/- 10 minutes with an efficiency of 73-81%
At 24 amps it recovers the 15% charge in 2 hours +/- 10 minutes with an efficiency of 76-88%
At 36 amps it recovers the 15% charge in 1 hour 20 minutes +/- 5 minutes with an efficiency of 97-99%
At 48 amps it recovers the 15% charge in 1 hour 5 minutes +/- 5 minutes with an efficiency of 70-77%

I know that the Tessie app as well as the Tesla itself is not really measuring, with closed-loop accuracy, the state of charge of the pack, and much of the data is actually "interpolated" (like range in miles), but I still found the results very compelling with 36 amps seemingly being a sweet spot, and 8 amps being too little to not have large losses during a longer charging session (or perhaps just too low a current to get very accurate readings?) and 48 amps for some reason suffering large losses during shorter charging sessions even though 48 amps AC is FAR below the charging capacity of the pack. (Could it be resistance building in the charger and the charge wire itself? Since it only gets "Warm" at charge levels approaching its' max of 48 amps)

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else tracks these kinds of numbers and has seen anything even remotely similar. I'll try another test run starting in the middle of summer, and I want to see if the efficiency numbers just all skew upwards at the same rate given temperature. Until then, I've left the wall charger set at 36 amps and consistent with prior test, it constantly reports a charging efficiency always in the 90's and the several times I needed a quicker boost at 48 amps, the efficiency is always much lower.

View attachment 907565
"Tesla Model 3 Supercharging board computer in the car during the charging phase" by verchmarco is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Thanks for sharing, great data. Could U and/or some Pros here elaborate the definition of " Charging Efficiency" here? I think I understood but I need clarification from Pros in the forum

Reactions: dho112
resistance/energy loss is a static percentage in a cord.
No sir. Resistance rates as static, but heat loss is not, is a function of current. Meanwhile resistance increases with heat, ergo a circular relationship as current increases.

Sorry for the TL;DR

Results:

View attachment 907565
Thanks for taking the time to put together this GREAT data! You’ve really helped me understand charging efficiency and how I can optimize to my personal circumstances.

Rather than start a new thread on the same topic I'm resurrecting this one and adding some data to it:

Background:
US based, MYLR was target, EVSE is WC commissioned at 240V/60A over #6 THHN. Car charged in garage after at least 8 hours of non-use. Power to the OBC and to the battery are KW delivered as per "Tessie". Breaker power to OBC is measured by CT (Emporia). Actual charging current set by "Tessie" automations to OBC.

Summary:
Charging at 48A of my 60A circuit was slightly the least efficient. Data shows the biggest loss to be between the breaker and the cars OBC, but current delivered to the battery was slightly less efficient as well. In both cases I suspect mild increase in resistance due to heat.

40 amps was the most efficient. 36 amps showed almost identical loss from breaker to car, but slightly worse efficiency to the battery.

None of the differences amount to enough to be concerned with. EG: I project 6MW annual current demand from breaker. A 1% increase in efficiency would save me 60KWH annually. Power is "free" for me, but if I was at an annual net negative this would amount to something like $6 per year.

I suppose I might dial the current back to 44 amps just to see if I can find a sweet spot, but charging effiency at the upper amperages appears a a non-issue.

YMMV.

Method ->Telsa AppEmporia VueTessie ReportingEfficienciesCar State
DateCharging CurrentEnergy Delivered At BreakerEnergy Delivered to CarEnergy Delivered to BatteryTotalFrom Circuit to CarFrom Car to BatteryIn GarageCar Cold (unused for at least 4 hours)AmbientTotal Loss - AverageBreaker to OBC Loss - AverageOBC To Battery Loss - Average
Aug 4th3614.113.613.293.62%96.45%97.06%YesYes70-80
Aug 10th3619.919.218.693.47%96.48%96.88%YesYes70-80
Aug 11th3616.215.615.293.83%96.30%97.44%YesYes70-8093.64%96.41%97.12%
Aug 2nd401211.611.394.17%96.67%97.41%YesNo70-80
Aug 12th4010.910.510.293.58%96.33%97.14%YesYes70-80
Ag 13th4021.320.519.993.43%96.24%97.07%YesYes70-80
Aug 14th4021.921.120.694.06%96.35%97.63%YesYes70-8093.81%96.40%97.32%
July 30th4815.815.114.793.04%95.57%97.35%YesNoHeatwave
July 31st4812.812.41293.75%96.88%96.77%YesNo70-80
Aug 16th4833.33230.892.49%96.10%96.25%YesYes70-8093.09%96.18%96.79%
Aug 15th488.788.4891.12%95.67%95.24%YesYes70-8092.60%96.05%96.40%

:)

So I monitored a few days at 44 amps. About what you'd expect. More efficient than 48 amps, not as efficient as 40. I also dug a bit deeper into "Tessie" and got another digit of precision on that data. Didn't change anything, but more accurate is always good. I suppose I'm done now.

* I've found 40 amps to be generally 1% more efficient than 48 overall.
* The difference from breaker to car turned out to be relatively small. It's certainly there, just not a lot of variance. OBC efficiency losses trumped it.. Still, 40 amp was the most efficient there too.
* 40 was pretty consistently overall the most efficient.
* 36 amps is a whisker away. In fact, when I sort the data by most efficient days they trade back and forth a few times.
* It was interesting to see the OBC be the least efficient at 48a. Folks tend to talk about all the losses charging slowly (and they are correct), but few suggested we'd lose efficiency to the battery at 48A. Yet it was consistently the worst.
* I suppose I'd see 32a finally begin to be less efficient, but I'd not drop that far down in the charge speed area.

I could, and if time permitted would, gather more data. The sample set as is it pretty small. However it's pretty darn consistet too. Meanwhile it's a PITA to not let the thing charge every time we come home a I prefer to do. I've been charging at 4:30 am so the car and garage would pretty much always be cool.

Conclusion: I'll set the charge rate to 42 amps in the car and call it done knowing I can dial it up to 48 should I need more juice faster. I don't know that I care about the 60KWH per year I'll save, but I do like the idea of not pushing the OBC to an inefficient state purely from a longevity perspective.

YMMV.

Folks tend to talk about all the losses charging slowly (and they are correct), but few suggested we'd lose efficiency to the battery at 48A.

Those would be I*I*R losses. They hide in plain sight ;)

For the lazy: Any L2 charging between 24 and 48 Amps is pretty darn good efficiency compared to L1
For nerds: I presume Tesla (and other EV manufactures) will transition to better OBC power electronics (GaN ?) down the road; and if we are lucky the 4680 cell will reduce internal resistance. I'm optimistic that overall charging losses will halve in the next five years.

Last edited:
Bold prediction! I’ll keep my fingers crossed. I can see 4680 and LGP both helping, but longer term I wonder if the inevitability of sodium doesnt push us back a step.

perhaps we’ll get to see a solid state based on sodium.

The charged SOC level should have a very low impact on the efficiency.

If the charge triggers a cell balancing there should be lost enerrgy from this (mainly in the end of the charge or after).

Lithium batteries in general have a higher self discharge above about 80%, which in the end should cause a little more phantom drain during one year.

One large post in losses is that the car is awake during charging. This causes a drain of 200-300W, a faster charging is taking shorter time, causing the car to loose less energy due to that during the charge. (But if sentry is on, it still will not sleep afterwards).

One large post in losses is that the car is awake during charging. This causes a drain of 200-300W, a faster charging is taking shorter time, causing the car to loose less energy due to that during the charge. (But if sentry is on, it still will not sleep afterwards).

Always good to see a post from AAKEE.

As an FYI to add to your considerable knowledge. my testing has shown, the OBC, when under AC, loses efficiency at upper charging amps. More so than the cost of keeping the car awake some extra minutes. My testing was not extensive, but very consistent and reasonably well controlled. I found optimum charge rate to be in the 40A/240V range. That's on a MY. I expect the M3 to be using the same OBC. In the US. No idea how things might look on 3P.