Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most efficient wheel and tire combination for MYP pup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I am looking to get a second set of wheels and tires for lite winter driving and road trips. The Uber turbines are doing ok here but temps are swinging down into the 30’s and although we don’t get much snow, we do get some ice on occasion. When I opted for the performance pup I didn’t realize I’d only be about to get around 200-210 miles unless I drive 10 under, my fault, love the performance but I’d like to attempt to get some better range.

I ordered a set of Martian wheels 19x8.5 that haven’t shipped yet, I was planing on using 245/45/19s, but I’m reading that they won’t be much more efficient then the stock 21”s. So I am considering other options.

I see that Tsportline makes replica 19x9.5” Uber turbines. As far as wheels go wouldn’t these be as aerodynamically efficient as the 21s while allowing me to run a 255/45/19 LRR tire?

Another possibility is just picking up a set of stock 19” Gemini wheels, cheaper, maybe more efficient, but don’t look as good.

Also does anyone know if the 18” Aeros from the M3 would fit? I like the look of these the least but might consider them it the efficiency is amazing... like 240wh/mi at 80mph, flat, 75f.

I’m leaving towards the tsportline wheels, especially if they can do 8.5” wide instead of 9.5”.

Opinions, or other options I haven’t considered?

Thanks everyone.

Reactions: Tedkidd
The most efficient setup I'd run is the Model 3 Aero wheels with Aero caps and a low rolling resistance 235/55R18 XL tire like the Primacy MXM4 (tirerack.com link). That tire will certainly provide less traction and grip than the OE combinations, but is probably the best wheel and tire combo for outright range on the Model Y. This is primarily due to the narrower tire and the wheel caps being more aerodynamic as well as the lower rolling resistance of the tire.

Also, importantly, it does compromise the towing and weight carrying capacity of the vehicle. I wouldn't use it if you are routinely towing "heavy" trailers or carrying a lot of cargo. More in this tread: 18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

If the load rating is a concern, I'd be surprised if you can find any combination that is more efficient than the OE 19" wheels and tires.

• Informative
Reactions: Tedkidd and iamnid
Thanks Zoomit, judging by the thread you linked to, the 18” Aeros will fit a standard MY but not the PUP with the larger brake calipers in the rear, or am I mistaken?

I spoke to “the boss” this evening, and she informed me the Gemini’s are a no go.. that makes things easy...

So it’s between the 19x8.5” Martians or the 19x9.5” Tsportline Uber turbine look-a-likes.

It’s too bad Martian doesn’t make an aero cover for their wheels. If it made >5% difference I would use them when needed on long trips.

Thanks Zoomit, judging by the thread you linked to, the 18” Aeros will fit a standard MY but not the PUP with the larger brake calipers in the rear, or am I mistaken?

I spoke to “the boss” this evening, and she informed me the Gemini’s are a no go.. that makes things easy...

So it’s between the 19x8.5” Martians or the 19x9.5” Tsportline Uber turbine look-a-likes.

It’s too bad Martian doesn’t make an aero cover for their wheels. If it made >5% difference I would use them when needed on long trips.
Yes, sorry, that is correct. Aero’s won’t fit the rear calipers on Performance cars (either 3 or Y).

Why not get the TSportline 19x8.5 Uberturbine wheels? They have the same load rating and offset as the 19x9.5. Those with a 235 tire would be more efficient than the 9.5”-wide wheels using 255 tires. They’re shown under the Model 3 tab only but would work on the Y. My only caution for using a narrow 235 tire is the reduction in grip.

highly-recommend reading Upgrading Your Model 3 | Mountain Pass Performance under Wheels & Tires.. those same ideas carry to Model Y. The OEM tires on the Model 3 at least have incomparable low rolling resistance but are also scary in the rain as a consequence (have changed them for Michelin PS AS3 on my Model 3 for safety reasons here in rainy Seattle area); and changing wheel in itself will not help you much at freeway efficiency (yes for stop-and-go).

changing wheel in itself will not help you much at freeway efficiency (yes for stop-and-go).
This is only true when considering wheel weight.

“The truth is that the weight of the wheels is far less important than the rolling resistance of the tire, and the aerodynamics of the wheel. The wheel weight makes a small difference in stop and go driving, but it is relatively minor when compared to aerodynamics or rolling resistance. Wheel weight has almost zero effect on efficiency at sustained highway speeds.” Ref: MPP page

When considering wheel aerodynamics, the opposite is true. Wheel aerodynamics are much more important at highway speeds, hence the wheel cap and relatively flat faced wheel designs from Tesla.

Yes, sorry, that is correct. Aero’s won’t fit the rear calipers on Performance cars (either 3 or Y).

Why not get the TSportline 19x8.5 Uberturbine wheels? They have the same load rating and offset as the 19x9.5. Those with a 235 tire would be more efficient than the 9.5”-wide wheels using 255 tires. They’re shown under the Model 3 tab only but would work on the Y. My only caution for using a narrow 235 tire is the reduction in grip.

That would be ideal...
I called Tsportline and asked about the 19x8.5” and they said they wouldn’t fit the MY, but didn’t explain why. I figured they were the experts and didn’t want to get the 8.5 if they didn’t fit. Has anyone put the 8.5s on a MY from TSL?

highly-recommend reading Upgrading Your Model 3 | Mountain Pass Performance under Wheels & Tires.. those same ideas carry to Model Y. The OEM tires on the Model 3 at least have incomparable low rolling resistance but are also scary in the rain as a consequence (have changed them for Michelin PS AS3 on my Model 3 for safety reasons here in rainy Seattle area); and changing wheel in itself will not help you much at freeway efficiency (yes for stop-and-go).

I was thinking about a Continental True contact or a Perrelli P7. It hasn’t rained here in almost a year.. we are due for about 3-4” in 15 mins.

OP I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with your range increase dropping to 19s, for reference: I run 19 x9 wheels with 255/45 sottozero 3s on my PUP. My energy usage over last 1k miles is 310Wh/ mi, 90% highway miles driving 12 mph over limit usually. This gives me 240mi-250 mi range. High 30-high 40* temps
0B3F9E39-0BCF-41B1-96BC-F831FA1B789A.jpeg

here’s a 350mi highway trip, cruise set at 80-82mph with two SC stops - 309Wh/mi
965D29EB-499D-4427-86F1-344776597616.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BigKRIT
Quick(ish) update on this thread.

I purchased a set of TSL TSV 19x8.5 and I asked my local discount tire vendor if I could run a set of Continental Procontact LS in 245/75-19s.

The salesman informed me that since my 21s came with a load rating of 103 on the rear, that the load rating of 102 on the Procontacts wouldn’t be sufficient. I asked him for an alternative tire with similar characteristics and he suggested the new Continental DWS06 plus in 255/45-19.

I was fine with the different tire because well, I wanted to be safe and have the correct load rating (even though the 20” inductions come with a 101 LR tire?), and because I was hoping that just the change to the 19” wheels that have similar aerodynamics to the Uber turbines would net me a significant boost in efficiency.

We are currently taking a trip from TX to FL and....things are not going as planned.

The weather is crap. We left Ozona TX at 8am on I10 and the temperature dropped to 25 DegF, there were sheets of ice on the road until we we’re almost to San Antonio. After the ice came the rain. From San Antonio to Lake Charles LA it rained almost constantly. The temperature increased to a mild 40DegF.

My overall consumption for the trip is 396wh/mi, consumption for the last 30 miles is 426wh/mi going 75mph on dry pavement at 38DegF. Climate was set higher to deal with ice at first but for the most part was set to auto and 70DegF. Currently have about 900 miles on the new setup.

Do these numbers seam high to anyone? I understand that the cold effects range and consumption but I was getting 370wh/mi going 80mph at 45-50DegF with the 21’s.

It’s still to early for me to tell if it’s the tires or the rims or something else, but does anyone have any experience with Continental DWS series tires and if they’re a possible candidate for the low efficiency numbers in seeing?

Thanks Everyone.

Wait until the new tires have 1K or so miles on them (you're getting there, might take a bit longer perhaps). Also I think it's really difficult to make
comparisons in such extreme conditions.

Very true.

It seams that at 25Deg, it’s like I’m getting the efficiency of dragging a boat anchor. My idea of cold and my cars is very different. I used to routinely work in sub zero conditions, but the car puts on a jacket when the temperature drops below 65. That’s Tee shirt and shorts for me.

We just crossed into 1200miles on the new tires, and much better weather. Currently around 45-55 DegF but rain for days on this leg of the trip. Haven’t seen the sun since Tuesday... (is it still there?). The car is settling down into 330-350wh/mi at 70-80 mph, which was about the same as the 21”s

We should have plenty of time in FL with Tesla friendly weather to test further.

meaningless data:
ABRP reference consumption went from
320wh/mi with the 21”s
378wh/mi with the new TSVs and DWS (while hell was freezing over)
Now at 298wh/mi *improvement!*?

OP I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with your range increase dropping to 19s, for reference: I run 19 x9 wheels with 255/45 sottozero 3s on my PUP. My energy usage over last 1k miles is 310Wh/ mi, 90% highway miles driving 12 mph over limit usually. This gives me 240mi-250 mi range. High 30-high 40* tempsView attachment 616833

here’s a 350mi highway trip, cruise set at 80-82mph with two SC stops - 309Wh/miView attachment 616834

Wow those rims are so nice, wondering which ones? Don't look like any of the tsportlines

Very true.

It seams that at 25Deg, it’s like I’m getting the efficiency of dragging a boat anchor. My idea of cold and my cars is very different. I used to routinely work in sub zero conditions, but the car puts on a jacket when the temperature drops below 65. That’s Tee shirt and shorts for me.

We just crossed into 1200miles on the new tires, and much better weather. Currently around 45-55 DegF but rain for days on this leg of the trip. Haven’t seen the sun since Tuesday... (is it still there?). The car is settling down into 330-350wh/mi at 70-80 mph, which was about the same as the 21”s

We should have plenty of time in FL with Tesla friendly weather to test further.

meaningless data:
ABRP reference consumption went from
320wh/mi with the 21”s
378wh/mi with the new TSVs and DWS (while hell was freezing over)
Now at 298wh/mi *improvement!*?
You’re good. I’ve had 20s in summer and 19s on for the winter with almost 6k mi on clock on my PUP. My lifetime avg is 325Wh/mi.
CEF444E6-F21F-4834-9C35-01EC24D50820.jpeg

Update:

We got back from FL a week ago. Fortunately, except for the first couple days, we missed the ice storms and rolling blackouts in TX. We have battery backup at the house and only noticed a few power outages. No frozen or broken pipes and all was well when we got back.

We now have almost 4,000 miles on the new 19” DWS 06+ setup up and, well....the ride is better, and we can bounce the car through potholes now without issue. As for an efficiency increase, its not really enough to measure either way. I wished I had signed up for tezlab or some other monitoring service to get a better picture of speed/temp/wind wh/mi numbers. At this point I feel that difference is so small that if I can’t measure it in range traveled vs range consumed, the switch to 19” wheels was not worth it from an efficiency standpoint. Pothole and curb invulnerability is nice though...

To compound my feelings of disappointment, we are driving a loaner 2020 Model 3 LR dual motor and the wh/mi is 285 at 85mph no wind, flat road, 75DegF. Compared to our MYP at 350wh/mi with the same conditions. The high speed/energy usage increase relationship on our MYP is much worse then the Model 3. Which is to be expected since it’s a larger vehicle, but still..That much?

So unless there’s something else I can do, I’m left with two options. Suck it up and live with the numbers, or sell the car. Well, we love our MYP and will probably never sell it unless the wheels fall off... so there ya go.

When the Continentals wear out I’ll try a different brand, and see if that makes any difference.

BTW:
The real solution is for Tesla to build more superchargers... 😂

Update:

We got back from FL a week ago. Fortunately, except for the first couple days, we missed the ice storms and rolling blackouts in TX. We have battery backup at the house and only noticed a few power outages. No frozen or broken pipes and all was well when we got back.

We now have almost 4,000 miles on the new 19” DWS 06+ setup up and, well....the ride is better, and we can bounce the car through potholes now without issue. As for an efficiency increase, its not really enough to measure either way. I wished I had signed up for tezlab or some other monitoring service to get a better picture of speed/temp/wind wh/mi numbers. At this point I feel that difference is so small that if I can’t measure it in range traveled vs range consumed, the switch to 19” wheels was not worth it from an efficiency standpoint. Pothole and curb invulnerability is nice though...

To compound my feelings of disappointment, we are driving a loaner 2020 Model 3 LR dual motor and the wh/mi is 285 at 85mph no wind, flat road, 75DegF. Compared to our MYP at 350wh/mi with the same conditions. The high speed/energy usage increase relationship on our MYP is much worse then the Model 3. Which is to be expected since it’s a larger vehicle, but still..That much?

So unless there’s something else I can do, I’m left with two options. Suck it up and live with the numbers, or sell the car. Well, we love our MYP and will probably never sell it unless the wheels fall off... so there ya go.

When the Continentals wear out I’ll try a different brand, and see if that makes any difference.

BTW:
The real solution is for Tesla to build more superchargers... 😂
Any further updates? Would you do it all over again? Not too many potholes out where I am but efficiency on highway travel would be nice. Deciding what to do with an incoming MYP.

Any further updates? Would you do it all over again? Not too many potholes out where I am but efficiency on highway travel would be nice. Deciding what to do with an incoming MYP.
Yes, I put the 19” TSVs back on with the DWS06 Continentals.

I was able to do a direct comparison to the 21” uber turbines and there doesn’t appear to be any efficiency gains. In fact it looks like there is roughly a 10% decrease in efficiency.

I am going to try a set of Bridgestone GT tires to see if that makes any difference. They have a 30 day satisfaction return policy, so it’s worth a shot.

Here is another thread with more details.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/myp-pup-uber-turbines-to-19”-tsv-with-dws06.238484/#post-5870697