Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motion Sickness (3rd Row)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an order for a Model X, but the salesperson persuaded me to try a Model S P85+ for a spin and I rather liked it.

However, I'd only be interested in getting the ModelS if I could put the kids in the 3rd row, and I'm not sure they'd work for us. My concerns are that the kids will get motion sick from riding backwards, and that the occupants in the rear seats will get hot or cold because of the lack of shade in the back along with the weak airflow. Now, I live in Toronto, not Texas, so I don't expect heat to be an issue for me too many days in the year, but I also don't want to get a car where my kids don't want to ride in because they get sick in it.

Can someone with kids who uses the 3rd row comment on the day-to-day usability of those seats? Thanks in advance.

I have two kids ages 6 and 8 and they both ride in the jump seats on a daily basis. We live in seattle,wa so I think maybe our weather is somewhat similar to yours? We took delivery of our car on nov 15th so I've yet to actually go through the warm or hot months with my kids back there as right now it's ranged anywhere from the teens (17) to lower 50's. My kids absolutely love the jump seats. We came from a honda pilot that had a 3rd row so they were used to have their own space but this is different for them because they feel like they have their own apartment back their to quote my son. Maybe you can ask the sales team where you are to make an exception and allow your kids to go on a test drive in the jump seats. We put a down payment (which you've done on the x) and they allowed us to with them and our kids both in town and on the highway.

No motion sickness but the back does get warm in the summer when the sun is shining directly in. I bought a small battery powered fan for the back and that solved most of the problem. Tinting the window a bit would also be an option. Tesla does need to add a vent back there in the future, but... not a show stopper for us for now.

One of my kids was initially getting motion sickness in the second row. We figured out it was the regen deceleration that was getting to her. So I dialed the regen down to low for a few trips with her. Now she seems to be OK on standard regen. I would think the same would apply to the jump seats. Of course, some people are more susceptible to motion sickness. Some kids are more tolerant than others though. If you kids ride roller coasters and do the spinning tops at carnivals with no problem, I'd say you are safe.

Personally, if you're already strapped for space and plan on using this car 7-10 years, you might want to wait for the X. At some point your kids will grow out of the rear facing child seats in the S and then will need to sit in the regular back seats...

You did not mention how old / tall your kids are, and how many you have (i.e. are you forced to use the 3rd row). If you think the S can be of use for several years for your family, I would go for it. You can always upgrade to an X later.

I have 4 kids (ages 3, 5, 7, 9), and always have 2 in the trunk. Sunlight / glare and heat were a big problem initially, but dark window tinting did the trick for me, and does not impair visibility significantly.

The kids mostly like sitting there, but two of them sometimes do get motion sickness (not consistently). We always alternate who sits there on longer round trips.

Good luck with your decision!

We've had our S for 11 months now and over 11000 miles. My daughter (age 7) always sits in the jump seats. She (and all her friends who have ridden in the car) love them. Initially it was warm in the rear (we are in rural California) but a good 70% rear half tinting did the trick for that. She has not complained of motion sickness and routinely plays hand held video games or reads back there in our 20 minute drive to and from school.

Thanks for the feedback everyone: this board if fantastic! I think you've sold me on how easy it is to live with the jump seats and how quickly the kids will adapt to them. Tint + window shade + rear fans (if need be) will solve the heat problem. I don't think the kids will get motion sick, but if they do then I'll put them in the 2nd row and I'll be no worse than where I am today. Now, I'll have to figure out which model, but that's another thread!

To comment on some of the points raised:
* We've had a test drive with the kids in their boosters and that was great. However, they didn't have any jump seats available to try out, otherwise we would have.
* My kids are 4 & 6, so they'd be perfect size for the jump seats. Cdn regs mandate a 7-year life for car seats, so I'd actually save money by not having to buy a new booster for my daughter next year (at least that's what I'll tell my wife)
* My wife is prone to motion sickness which is she put the question to me as my daughter is also a thrower-upper. However, she likes roller coasters so I guessing she would be fine most days. Good point on the regen deceleration, I will keep that in mind as a tweak if need be. My commuter is a 6spd manual car, and standard regen feels to me like somewhere between 1st and 2nd gear.
* This car would be for my daily commute (~25 km both ways). My current car is a great driver's car, but it drinks gas in the city: <250km per tank, and gas is just under $100 per fill-up. Ouch. Back-seat space is somewhat tight for the kids in their car seats & winter gear. The jump seats would solve this nicely.
* To be honest, I wasn't entirely sold on the gull-wing doors on the Model X. They look cool, but I wasn't sure if it'd prevent me from opening those doors in my garage!
* We also have a minivan for long-trips and situations where we need 7 person seating (w/grandparents) or need to haul stuff. It's big, it's new, and I don't see us getting rid of it, even if the ModelX were available today.

I think there is a little bit of risk to judge how your children might react, based on how a few other children have reacted. Not everyone has the same tolerance to motion sickness. If you drive very conservatively passengers are less likely to develop motion sickness. If passengers become stressed and you drive like a maniac, passengers are more likely to develop motion sickness. It's best to try to put your passengers at ease and make the experience pleasant, they will be less likely to develop motion sickness. Most motion sickness is rooted in anxiety.

If possible, try to arrange a test ride with your children in the jump seats.

If you go-ahead with the purchase and a child does develop motion sickness, there are medications that are fairly effective.

The other recommendation that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread is to always change the climate control settings to fresh air, not recycled air. This opens up some vents in the rear hatch and lets air flow through the car better. Something worth trying before installing additional fans back there. (And really Tesla, some sort of ventilation for us third rower buyers should really be on your free retro-fit list...)

I have 3 kids and at least one preferentially rides in the rear seats every time we go somewhere. We also have a daily carpool, and the kids that have used the seats range from 5 years old to 12 years old (who is my own son, well over the weight limit, and just about 5 feet tall).
I'm excited to see the Tesla sunshade and will definitely order that when it becomes available, as my kids' only complaint is that it gets hot back there. Currently, I just open the pano roof when they're hot and it works for them (we live in SoCal).
I am extremely prone to motion sickness, but I haven't had any kids become nauseated back there (knock on wood).

The other recommendation that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread is to always change the climate control settings to fresh air, not recycled air. This opens up some vents in the rear hatch and lets air flow through the car better. Something worth trying before installing additional fans back there. (And really Tesla, some sort of ventilation for us third rower buyers should really be on your free retro-fit list...)

This is a good recommendation but unfortunately there are no extra vents in rear hatch; it just helps push fresh cool air from the front to the rear. Here are Tesla's official recommendations for jump seat comfort that they emailed to all 3rd-row owners (Tip 1 is precondition; Tip 3 is install IR film on liftgate or soon have option to buy sunscreen):

Tip 2: Disable Auto Climate Control and Enable Fresh Air Mode
Enable Fresh Air mode when carrying passengers in the rear facing seats. This mode continually moves cool air from the front to the rear of the vehicle. Setting the temperature to low and selecting both dashboard and floor vents will further increase chilled airflow to the second row and rear facing seats without overcooling the first row. Selecting multiple vents also reduces airflow noise. Fan speed can be adjusted to comfort.

Auto climate control maximizes energy efficiency by recirculating a portion of cabin air to manage cabin temperature, but this setting also reduces airflow to the third row seat area in extreme heat.

Recommended settings when carrying rear facing seat passengers:

unnamed.png

Just out of curiosity - when did Tesla email these recommendations? I got my car in July of 2013 and had never heard that there were recommended settings for this case.

I checked the email and it was sent to me on July 3, 2013 (I received my car in May 2013). The letter came from Tesla Motors but with address [email protected] (as opposed to other emails I receive from [email protected] announcing events and accolades, etc.). The letter was addressed to me by name and I guess to anyone who had the rear-facing seats in their config, and starts "We hope you and your family are enjoying your Model S. Given recent record high temperatures, we want to share a few tips to ensure passengers in the rear facing seats are transported comfortably." Maybe you just missed it from your delivery date. Please PM me if you would like me to forward it to you.

I have an order for a Model X, but the salesperson persuaded me to try a Model S P85+ for a spin and I rather liked it.

However, I'd only be interested in getting the ModelS if I could put the kids in the 3rd row, and I'm not sure they'd work for us. My concerns are that the kids will get motion sick from riding backwards, and that the occupants in the rear seats will get hot or cold because of the lack of shade in the back along with the weak airflow. Now, I live in Toronto, not Texas, so I don't expect heat to be an issue for me too many days in the year, but I also don't want to get a car where my kids don't want to ride in because they get sick in it.

Can someone with kids who uses the 3rd row comment on the day-to-day usability of those seats? Thanks in advance.

Had our MS for 11 months 28,000 miles. My kids are 3 yr and 6 yrs old, and they are happy in the jump seats. I did put up 70% Wincos tint, and a 10" portable fan (http://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-NEW-Battery-Operated-Adapter/dp/B00ATSHMIQ/ref=pd_sim_hg_19 ) to help with the heat issue during the summer, which worked well, and this particular fan fits in the cubby hole on the sides of the trunk where the universal mobile charger/charge cord is stored. https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?tab=wq#photos?pid=5895481967647980514&oid=108507965236789668368

My 6 yr old is more prone to motion sickness, but he is fine when I drive smoothly, lifting off the accelerator slowly so the regen is much less head jolting, and take corners slower rather than whipping through them. Like Rainbow said, if you drive crazy, anyone in the car can get sick regardless where they sat, but it's kind of hard not to drive this car to it's full potential :)

By the way, since you are coming from a sports car, I think you will be happier in a Model S rather than the X.