Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motley Fool story - Tesla Replacement Part Delays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great. Any idea on his replacement?

Thanks
At the time, it was Elon but I don't know if that's changed.

Actually, one thing we forgot to mention is John McNeill, who is heading up our sales and service group is departing the company. We wish him well in his future career. And going forward, I will be having the sales and service report directly to me. There are no plans to search for a replacement.

Has anyone found a way to speak directly to someone - LIVE - in parts? I have been passed on to 4 different people only to have them tell me for 2-3 weeks that "I'll get back to you as soon as I have updated information".

How do you reach a live person in customer service?

Has anyone found a way to speak directly to someone - LIVE - in parts? I have been passed on to 4 different people only to have them tell me for 2-3 weeks that "I'll get back to you as soon as I have updated information".

How do you reach a live person in customer service?
Apparently, they don't even have phones according to my repeatedly asking why Tesla (the body shop advocates) couldn't call them (not sure I believe that one)...

Good luck, I doubt you'll get anywhere near the parts department phone. I was pretty persistent.

Tesla needs to be really careful from here on, they now have some real competition that will continue to get better as the years go by.
Whilst some on this forum are very early adaptors to the Tesla vision and will stick with them they cannot afford the treat customers like this, when they had a monopoly people just accepted it because there was no other similar choice.
Between their inconsistent quality of software updates, promised features not delivered, total lack of care about spare parts inventory, questionable reliability and obscene repair costs out of warranty they are going to start to hurt. I don't want to see this happen, I love my Model S but all those items I mentioned have to be taken in to serious consideration when shopping around for another car or even recommending a car to people.

People talk about cost savings of an EV, but if as an example your MCU dies out of warranty that $3,000 bill just threw though all that out the window, a part like that should have been engineered to last at least 8 years. And because the car is as good as useless without it functioning you have no choice but to get it replaced.

Last edited:
UPDATE

As of February 11, 2019 I have confirmed that all parts needed for my repairs have now arrived at the body shop in Concord, NC. While we are glad to have this done, it was extremely frustrating due to the lack of communication coming out of Tesla corporate. This process has us rethinking any future purchase with Tesla simply due to the fact that waiting over 4.5 months for parts to repair our car, and very poor customer communication from them, simply is unacceptable in a competitive environment such as luxury vehicles. Parts availability issue may take time to address. Poor customer service communication should be addressed immediately.

Reactions: ikjadoon
UPDATE

As of February 11, 2019 I have confirmed that all parts needed for my repairs have now arrived at the body shop in Concord, NC. While we are glad to have this done, it was extremely frustrating due to the lack of communication coming out of Tesla corporate. This process has us rethinking any future purchase with Tesla simply due to the fact that waiting over 4.5 months for parts to repair our car, and very poor customer communication from them, simply is unacceptable in a competitive environment such as luxury vehicles. Parts availability issue may take time to address. Poor customer service communication should be addressed immediately.

I hear your frustration. On the plus side Elon Musk admitted how dead headed Tesla's approach to parts has been in the earnings call. As a result he said Tesla is switching from storing all their parts in a central distribution center to having all service centers have the most commonly needed parts in the service centers, and they will start doing more of the common bodyshop repairs like replacing front and rear fascias. On the unknown side, I do not know if this will solve less common parts needed for less common bodyshop repairs. On the negative side, how could Tesla see this as not being a huge problem becoming exponentially worse with volume production of the Model 3 coming? This should have been handled long ago. This crisis style of personal resource management of putting everyone on production, then everyone on delivery, and now service needs to even out as the company matures if for no other reason to stop talented people from burning out in the company. If the S curve of growth ever starts to flatten out, I believe we will see this. Hopefully this will happen in time to maintain the high general levels of owner satisfaction Tesla currently has.

Reactions: P100D_Me
We've been waiting on the second round of parts for our Model 3 since early January... For the past 2-3 weeks have been waiting on the final pieces: rivets and structural bolts... Nuts! (no pun intended)

Can't get anyone at Tesla to help either. Getting pushed to sell the car once it's back due to lack of reliability.

Reactions: am_dmd