Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend Model 3 Performance Article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps they are waiting for track mode to be released before allowing instrumented tests. It is at least plausible.
It's pretty obvious that's they're deliberately limiting the amount of detailed information that gets released for the P3D. It's like they want to sell the car but they don't really want to sell the car at the same time. Pretty confusing strategy.

Why won't tesla let reviewers have the car for more than 45 minutes in LA rush hour? I mean all the test drive write-ups I've seen so far are positive, so why not let reviewers have the car for a day and get a proper review out?

"Our testing to come will explore..."

Tesla has limited numbers of vehicles and there is going to be dozens that want a piece of it this early. Time is short, passing around small bits of access to lots of people.

It's pretty obvious that's they're deliberately limiting the amount of detailed information that gets released for the P3D. It's like they want to sell the car but they don't really want to sell the car at the same time. Pretty confusing strategy.
Yes. I also say it’s the firmware not being quite fully cooked yet too. If they release it too hot, running low 3s, or even a 2.9, and then detune it to spec, everyone will freak out (rightfully). If they give it to the press at spec., they’ll throw five guys in the car and say It’s slow.

My guess anyway.

I just want an AWD test. Actually a 3 way, uh, you know, LR, AWD, and PAWD. Stock tires, then sticky tires.

Error: "Then there's $5,000 prepaid for Enhanced Autopilot (when it ever arrives),"

When it ever arrives? Enhanced Autopilot is available now. They apparently confused the Full Self Driving which is an additional $3,000 prepaid with Enhanced Autopilot.

I noticed this interesting little tidbit

“A track mode, which is still in development, dials up regenerative braking to lessen heat load on the friction brakes.”

Nice!

Actually this kind of annoyed me. If they can increase the regenerative breaking strength, why limit it to track mode? Why not make it a standalone option so those of us that want stronger regenerative can have it without losing traction control etc.

"Our testing to come will explore..."

Tesla has limited numbers of vehicles and there is going to be dozens that want a piece of it this early. Time is short, passing around small bits of access to lots of people.

True. But they let MKBHD take one out for longer (and they let him play with track mode). I'm a fan of MKBHD but if I had to choose, I'd rather MotorTrend get the extended experience.

Yes. I also say it’s the firmware not being quite fully cooked yet too. If they release it too hot, running low 3s, or even a 2.9, and then detune it to spec, everyone will freak out (rightfully). If they give it to the press at spec., they’ll throw five guys in the car and say It’s slow.

My guess anyway.

I just want an AWD test. Actually a 3 way, uh, you know, LR, AWD, and PAWD. Stock tires, then sticky tires.

agreed... if the software isn't fully baked and the car is given over for road / comparison tests and doesn't handily beat everyone else by a wide margin... it won't bode well. I'm assuming (or maybe just hoping) they needed to start delivering these units immediately to show sales and profitability, but the tune on the car is still in development and will be even better than these initial impressions. Next they have to figure out how to lower the suspension and add wider tires OTA.

I for one am not complaining about that all too brief MT review. The relevant part for me was this, quote:

“In maybe 120 wheel revolutions, a high-performance hierarchy has been rattled. The European marques perennially atop the sport sedan podium are about to have trapdoors release beneath them. Although nothing has fundamentally changed with the car's steering or suspension (besides an imperceptible but CG-lowering 5-10mm drop in ride height), the dual motor and all-wheel drive give the compact Tesla a tensed, hair-trigger potency for leaping ahead or around whatever's in the way. It's pure jungle cat. ”