TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Motor Trend names Model S Ultimate COTY

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Magellan55, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Magellan55

Magellan55 Member

• Like x 11
    • Informative x 1
  2. MrFC1000

MrFC1000 Member

Great article. I'm still confused by what a Ultimate Car of the Year honor is, in 2019 for a 2013, but the points in the article are spot on. The S and Tesla deserve a place in history for what they've done.

I sell Tesla's every day now to people who just didn't understand (you're welcome Tesla)

• Like x 3
  3. IchDochNicht

IchDochNicht Member

In my lifetime, there have been the Citroen CX, the Porsche 928, and the Tesla Model S that stand-out. There were lots of great others, but noting comes close to either of these three in terms of innovation and forward looking design.

4. Magellan55

Magellan55 Member

They took all 70 COTY's (actually more because they used to do domestic and import each year), selected the best of each decade, then the best of those best.

5. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Member

I think what he's saying is that the title is misleading. It should be "greatest car of all time" or something similar as "Ultimate Car of the Year" is a misleading headline since it's not a singular year as it indicates.

• Like x 1
  6. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Member

High-5, Motor Trend. I applaud your decision.

• Like x 1
  7. glide

glide Member

Congrats to Tesla on beating out the 1996 Dodge Caravan, I guess.

• Funny x 4
  8. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

The minivan might be a polarizing vehicle but it's hard to say it didn't change the auto landscape, if not parking lots.

• Like x 4
  9. thejamesS70D

thejamesS70D New Member

Love it. Our purchase of an Un-stickered 2015 S70D was perfect for this year; new 4yrs of HOV lane access, home charging station. Here in Silicon Valley, Tesla's are starting to look more common than Hondas.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  10. axon62

axon62 Member

How can any car compete? Any Tesla gets better and better from the day you bought it with the improvement updates you get online! It's almost stupid not to take advantage of this feature. Kudos to Motor Trend for risking ICE ads they get.

• Like x 3
  11. Dukecat

Dukecat Member

I've been thinking about swapping out my 2013 MS P85+ with a new MS for sometime now, but it's as enjoyable and low maintenance to drive now as it was when I purchased it six years ago. With all the back and forth about pending "refreshes," (however you want to define it) and various issues with some of the newer technological bells and whistles, build quality and customer experience, I'm thinking more and more about just being happy with the wonderful vehicle I already have.

• Like x 4
  12. RedOctober

RedOctober Member

Now that is one great article that people should pause and think twice about buying an ICE vehicle.

• Like x 1
  13. Zextraterrestrial

I keep thinking I'd just want another RWD S (P3 and roadster too)
    If you do consider selling...mmmm +. what color is that ;)

• Funny x 1
  14. petecrayton

petecrayton Member

I know the feeling. I have a 17 MS 75D. For some reason I keep thinking I would like to have the 100D, mostly for the extra range. Though I have only taken two road trips, they were "white knuckle". I had enough juice to get to my destination but not enough to drive around while there without anxiety. That said, most of the time I do less than 50 miles per day locally, so the trade up, for all the reasons you mentioned, and the extra money probably isn't a sound choice.

15. Dukecat

Dukecat Member

It's black, and very well taken care of. I'll post it on here if I do end up going the sell route in the future. The only reason I'd plan to trade it in is if they offer a deal like they did with Raven -- e.g., free ludicrous mode for existing owners.

16. Dukecat

Dukecat Member

I'm in the same boat, and I do love having the free supercharging when we do take road trips.

17. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Member

Good point. For me personally, I'm finally at the point where I realize buying an ICE vehicle is an exercise in "What the he!! were you thinking? What you're getting is dinosaur technology." Or at least tech going back to around 1890.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  18. Magellan55

Magellan55 Member

This is the last car I expect to own. By the time I would normally buy my next new car, robotaxis will be too common/cheap and no one will be buying cars except as toys. Heck human-driven cars may not even be legal in some places or certain times of day. This isn't just Musk talking; futurists have been predicting this to happen by the mid-2020's for years now.

• Like x 1
  19. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

I'm thinking this would be the last car I buy, for similar reasons. I suggested to my then-kindergartner son if he made it big, I'd like a Tesla Roadster.

• Funny x 1