Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motorway range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 2019 SR+ that was purchased May of this year. How do I work out what mileage I should be averaging? Following behaviours:

Battery is charged from 20% to 90%
I commute into the office three times a week; total 20miles each way; of which 13miles is motorway.

Teslamate shows current rated efficiency at 219Wh/mile. Is this correct for the car having done around 49k miles.

Have a 2019 SR+ that was purchased May of this year. How do I work out what mileage I should be averaging? Following behaviours:

I commute into the office three times a week; total 20miles each way; of which 13miles is motorway.

Teslamate shows current rated efficiency at 219Wh/mile. Is this correct for the car having done around 49k miles.
That is quite reasonable. I struggle to get my 2018 M3P below 250Wh/mile

What you are seeing is typical at this time of the year. It will be a lot higher Wh/mile come the winter. Expect around 300 Wh/mile when it is close to freezing...

To determine your best efficiency turn off your HVAC on your next drive to work...

It's reasonable. Always so many variables though. On many routes you can't even do the speed limit so your energy use is commensurately lower. Same distance on a clear motorway you will use more energy because you spend the whole time at or slightly above the limit. At the other end of the scale you will easily get well under 200Wh/mile just bumbling around the countryside. The cars don't lose efficiency over time and mileage. The total battery capacity may be slightly less but the car will be as efficient as it's ever been unless there's an issue like a binding brake.

Why 90%? Unless otherwise that is convenient for you. But Tesla recommends atleast once a week to charge upto 100% - for better battery management including the calibration. There will be some amount of deterioration over a period of time with any composition of battery and charging full kind of accelerate the process is one of the plausible theories. But there are other confounding factors that plays some role in it. The only advantage I can think of SR+ is you can charge to the brim (and of course the price compared to LR and other EVs and PHEVs)

I know this is not the question you have asked. But was curious to know why 90%?

Why 90%? Unless otherwise that is convenient for you. But Tesla recommends atleast once a week to charge upto 100% - for better battery management including the calibration. There will be some amount of deterioration over a period of time with any composition of battery and charging full kind of accelerate the process is one of the plausible theories. But there are other confounding factors that plays some role in it. The only advantage I can think of SR+ is you can charge to the brim (and of course the price compared to LR and other EVs and PHEVs)

I know this is not the question you have asked. But was curious to know why 90%?
I think a 2019 SR+ did not yet have the LFP batteries.

Only LFP batteries can be charged to 100% regularly, and not all SR+ have LFP batteries.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: spdpsba
Only LFP batteries can be charged to 100%, and not all SR+ have LFP batteries.
Any car can be charged to 100%, it's just not wise to leave it at 100% for any length of time, for the long-term health of the batteries. I often charge my M3LR to 100% when I'm about to leave for a regular longer journey to prevent the need to charge away from home. It doesn't do any harm to the battery to fully charge them sometimes.

Reactions: father_of_6

He's not charging to 100% because he has a 2019 SR+ which like the LR does not have an LFP chemistry battery ... in fact OP should ideally consider charging to 80% rather than 90% to best look after the longevity of his battery pack.

• Informative
Reactions: init6 and spdpsba
Any car can be charged to 100%, it's just not wise to leave it at 100% for any length of time, for the long-term health of the batteries. I often charge my M3LR to 100% when I'm about to leave for a regular longer journey to prevent the need to charge away from home. It doesn't do any harm to the battery to fully charge them sometimes.
Yes sorry I should have added the necessary context to my post. Tesla recommend not charging to 100% unless you are planning on using it very shortly after doing so for non-LFP batteries.

Next thing is to see how many times i'm charging the car and whether tracker is still cheaper than IO! Thanks everybody.
If it's convenient enough for you it can be a good idea to routinely plug in every evening. Don't treat it like an ICE where you "fill up" and then run it low (unless circumstances require it). Obviously with an SR+ you are working with a lower overall range than the other cars and keeping your battery within the optimum middle percentages means regular small top ups (except when doing one off long trips).

You will realise that @spdpsba had a brief brain fart thinking you had an LFP battery ... you don't, so your car will put up a warning message if/when you charge over 80% if you are on the new software update that recently reduced from 90% ... don't panic about it though, it's just a confirmation of what we all knew already.

Yes, I thought the LFP came in once they updated from SR to SR+ :)
We actually never had the SR in the UK (I think it was only available in the US). The Model 3 SR+ arrived in UK in 2019 with the same chemistry as the LR and Performance Model 3s but with a smaller capacity pack (about 50kWh useable when new). None of the cars had heat pumps in 2019 so when you include that and the bigger packs that eventually came to the SR+ (and now the base RWD) there has been a useful jump in range. (But never mind early SR+ owners ... you got adjustable passenger lumbar support in the seat, data enabled USB sockets in the centre console, USS parking sensors and are faster to 60mph than new RWD models.)

Edit: The confusion arises because the cars have been updated in several different ways since 2019 and many/most of those changes occurred whilst still having the SR+ name... so later SR+ did get the LFP pack and the heat pump octovalve, heated steering wheel hardware etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: spdpsba
btw, i’ve got all these (i think mine is data enabled USB socket) with LFP batteries that can be charged to 100% - some kind of our own Unicorn variety then :)

Indeed, the unicorn transition models held onto some of the stuff that was subsequently lost. I think the early LFP even held onto the quicker 0-60mph that has been reduced in RWD. Some held onto data USB in the centre console (so could have a plug-in games controller and/or an SSD for dashcam and also easy location to add an induction phone charger before they started being added by Tesla.) Some had the sockets but without data .. and some had none at all in the console area.

Apologies ... nothing to do with motorway range! So I'll add: if I get 219Wh/mile on the motorway at 70mph as per OP I'm delighted ... that's 4.6 miles per kWh ... go tell that to an Audi driver!

Last edited: