Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mountain bikers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

N54TT

Aug 14, 2018
NY
Any other mountain bikers out there? Recently got back into mountain biking this past fall after almost 20yrs. Bought my first decent spec’d budget full suspension bike, got bit hard by the bug and did a few upgrades lol. Just bought my daughter a new bike after outgrowing and performing the Trek precaliber24 I got her in August. Here‘s a few pics to start off the thread :) .

Post up you pics or anything MTB related!

6548B084-0E29-4C9E-9456-6A756622AEA8.jpeg

2B2EA2AE-57A0-4681-B4AC-B3D8D50AF32D.jpeg

5F31F129-BC60-4BCD-998B-51648AE128A8.jpeg

471FE7C1-83D3-44E3-8931-35758CC65B36.jpeg

What range are you getting with the roof rack? With my hitch rack I use around 40% more at highway speeds. I ended up just putting the bike inside on the last trip to avoid a charging stop.

Here's a pic of my setup. I traded my black M3P for one that matched the bike better.
PXL_20221008_121756435.jpg

PXL_20220206_203020675_exported_560527.jpg

Reactions: N54TT
What range are you getting with the roof rack? With my hitch rack I use around 40% more at highway speeds. I ended up just putting the bike inside on the last trip to avoid a charging stop.

Here's a pic of my setup. I traded my black M3P for one that matched the bike better.View attachment 873076
View attachment 873077

Just did a 120 mile round trip with two bikes on the roof. According to the new Energy app screw, I had 23.2 percent more than est. consumption. Full disclosure there was a bit of traffic so it wasn’t all typical highway speeds. BUT even without traffic I don’t think it’s a 40% hit.

Just did a 120 mile round trip with two bikes on the roof. According to the new Energy app screw, I had 23.2 percent more than est. consumption. Full disclosure there was a bit of traffic so it wasn’t all typical highway speeds. BUT even without traffic I don’t think it’s a 40% hit.
Yeah I figured it was less drag than my hitch rack. That's the one downside of an EV but luckily I ride local trails almost all the time.

Big MTB rider here, and own a company that produces custom cycling apparel!

My main trail bike is an Ibis Ripley, but also spend a lot of time on an Ibis Hakka (gravel rig), a Turbo Levo Pro (e-bike), Salsa Beargrease Carbon XX1 (fatbike) and S-Works Tarmac (road bike). Lots of bikes in the fleet here, but those are primarily where I log my miles.

I noticed there was discussion here about racks. I noticed a larger hit with the Sea Sucker roof rack than with my hitch mounted 1UP USA on my Model S. I haven't had a chance to give the rack a try on the X yet as most my rides start and end at home (live right by the trail).

Any other mountain bikers out there? Recently got back into mountain biking this past fall after almost 20yrs. Bought my first decent spec’d budget full suspension bike, got bit hard by the bug and did a few upgrades lol. Just bought my daughter a new bike after outgrowing and performing the Trek precaliber24 I got her in August. Here‘s a few pics to start off the thread :) .

Post up you pics or anything MTB related!

View attachment 799224

View attachment 799229
View attachment 799225

View attachment 799226
What roof rack are you using for these two bikes? and do you like it? I'm considering the Kuat Trio to carry my Specialized Chisel on top of my M3.

What roof rack are you using for these two bikes? and do you like it? I'm considering the Kuat Trio to carry my Specialized Chisel on top of my M3.

I’m using the Yakima Highroad. Easy to load and unload. I like that it has a low profile when I’m not carrying my bikes. But I also tend to take off when I‘m not using it lol.….because it’s also really easy to install and remove.

^ wow. Had no idea they rock carbon rims like that nowadays. I am on Santa Cruz 5010 from 5 years ago...

Nice I like the 5010! I was choosing between that and the Mojo4, wasn’t a fan of last years colors and not ready to go mullet. I’m not sure what other carbon rims show the carbon. I think Reserve carbon wheels that come with SC bikes are more matte black, just Like the carbon wheels what came with my Mojo.

Anyone else use a 1UP hitch rack? It wasn't a problem on any of my previous cars but with the Model 3 there's a significant and constant wobble at highway speeds (towards the front/rear of the car).

I think it's caused by the rear end aerodynamics and is worse at very specific speeds when the resonant frequency of the rack aligns with whatever turbulence is going on. I don't think there's any actual risk of failure but it's still fairly concerning seeing my bike moving that much in the mirror.

Has anyone experienced something similar with a hitch rack? Did you figure out a solution? Maybe an aftermarket spoiler would change the rear aero enough to reduce the wobble?

Anyone else use a 1UP hitch rack? It wasn't a problem on any of my previous cars but with the Model 3 there's a significant and constant wobble at highway speeds (towards the front/rear of the car).

I think it's caused by the rear end aerodynamics and is worse at very specific speeds when the resonant frequency of the rack aligns with whatever turbulence is going on. I don't think there's any actual risk of failure but it's still fairly concerning seeing my bike moving that much in the mirror.

Has anyone experienced something similar with a hitch rack? Did you figure out a solution? Maybe an aftermarket spoiler would change the rear aero enough to reduce the wobble?
Whats wobbling…..the car or the bikes? If it’s the car does it only happen when the rack is installed? Rack alone? Rack and bikes? Only at a certain speed? I haven’t come across anyone mentioning that issue before, but more details might help you narrow down what the issue is.

Whats wobbling…..the car or the bikes? If it’s the car does it only happen when the rack is installed? Rack alone? Rack and bikes? Only at a certain speed? I haven’t come across anyone mentioning that issue before, but more details might help you narrow down what the issue is.
Sorry, not the best explanation. The rack itself is flexing and the bike is wobbling back and forth. Highway speeds only, significantly worse around 60-62mph and 72-75mph

Basically this but turned 90° on a hitch rack:

I haven't done any serious MTBing in twenty years, although I still have that bike and I even used it today to ride to the grocery store. I did take up road cycling big time this summer and I'm cycling almost every day--now moved onto a trainer, and trying out the various software (Zwift, rouvy, indievelo). I do want a new mountain bike again, as I have a lot of local trails and I always liked it. Was contemplating basically the cheapest trek with a dropper seat--would definitely be hard tail.