Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be the customer who emailed us at 2:25 AM on Sunday saying they were struggling to torque the nut on top of the damper, which we did in fact answer on a Sunday. They were probably just frustrated working in the garage late at night, I can certainly see how that can happen!
The passenger side piston could literally be spun with my fingers. Installation in car and re-torqueing as suggested in your email made no difference, piston spins before my digital torque wrench even registers one ft. pound of pressure. The only way this could be torqued would be with a pass-through torque wrench (don't even think that exists) so that an 8 mm socket could stop the piston from spinning. I was forced to use my regular pass through wrench and torque it to my best guess. Not ideal.

Driver side strut had no such issue, torqued perfectly on my workbench. I believe the passenger strut was defective. I've been working on cars for 20 plus years.

They changed the spring design. It no longer uses a spacer. This is from their own website and it's what I was referring to:
Mountain Pass are literally the most conscientious outfit any of us have ever dealt with. Please reach out to them to get clarification for any questions. If there's something confusing on their website please point it out and they will fix it and clarify the message. The kit has undergone numerous iterations including changes away from helper springs to spacers and now away from spacers also. But that's part of their continuous Improvement.

One of our dealers made a great DIY video for anyone who isn't sure how to install our parts!

1674571838096.png

Nice tools too.

One of our dealers made a great DIY video for anyone who isn't sure how to install our parts!

View attachment 899196

Nice tools too.
These guys don't even torque the locking nuts on the dampers (all 4 corners) to 15 ft lbs! They tighten the nuts with a pass-through wrench and don't even mention the torque requirement; something your instructions explicitly state will VOID THE WARRANTY.

Did you guys even watch this??

Just can't see this, have had my suspension I'm and out a few times never had an issue, sounds like operator error.
You're entitled to that opinion but I can tell you it was only one of the four struts. Also, MPP just endorsed an installation video above were the shop installers don't even torque the exact bolts I'm talking about, something MPP states will avoid the warranty lol.

Using an impact gun or over-torquing them voids the warranty. Of all the shops in the world for me to have concerns about their workmanship, Zevcentric is the last one. They have consistently done great work and fixed installations from other reputable shops in their area. The damper shaft spinning has nothing to do with how the damper will operate or how it was assembled. The dampers are tested in Germany after assembly and it doesn't get packed if it doesn't meet specifications. There are literally hundreds of members on this forum who have managed to do this work themselves, whether it be with lowering springs or coilovers, and we all have to contend with the occasional spinning shaft or tough nut to torque. The passthrough socket makes this much easier, and I recommend buying one for your toolbox so you can clear that obstacle easily next time you're working on the car. Don't forget to have fun when you work on your car, or otherwise, what's the point of having this great hobby?

I am also tagging @P3D-R (the owner of Zevcentric) who I am sure will tell us that they torqued the hardware off-camera. Maybe he has some tips for getting those nuts torqued without much trouble!

Last edited:
We've all faced some challenge with something on our cars that could have been solved with some tool we don't have (pass through torque wrench). We make do because that's the type of person that loves to wrench on their car. I assume at this point you have your coilovers installed? Let's talk about that. I haven't touched mine in over a year and still love them. I'm running them soft - 14/13 & 12/11. When I swap my winter tires for my summer tires, I'm going to lower my rear ride height another couple of mm because its close to what I want but not perfect lol. My family thinks I'm nuts lol. I've also got to find a good set of flexible mud flaps as I scrape mine on speed bumps.

Reactions: tienngo1012
As I recall, some people used lubrication on the sprint perches on the front. When turning, it would allow the spring to slip and make a ping sound. Last I heard the remedy was just to thoroughly clean them and then the spring doesn't move. Is this the noise being referred to?

There is a sharp lip that drops from my drive as I exit when I drive out after car has been standing for some days the offside front spring creeks as I trun left out of the drive. It's a one off think , then never makes a noise again so in my book it's not an issue for me.

noise issue?

Noise issue? I've got 30k + miles on my MPP coilovers, no noises at all.

Occasionally if car has been left standing for over a week, otherwise no noises.

Curious. What kind of noises? I've left my car, no HVAC garage, 105f ambient, for 2-3 weeks, no noises.

There is a sharp lip that drops from my drive as I exit when I drive out after car has been standing for some days the offside front spring creeks as I trun left out of the drive. It's a one off think , then never makes a noise again so in my book it's not an issue for me.

As I recall, some people used lubrication on the sprint perches on the front. When turning, it would allow the spring to slip and make a ping sound. Last I heard the remedy was just to thoroughly clean them and then the spring doesn't move. Is this the noise being referred to?

Yes. My understanding is late last year they updated the design to remedy this. I was just hoping for some reviews of the newer coilovers.

This is from the installation page:

Front Spring Stackup

New for late 2022, all AWD variants have moved to an OEM diameter spring which greatly reduces the chances of any spring noises, which seem to only occur with AWD vehicles, most specifically with our Comfort Adjustable kits. We’re happy to have worked with KW on a fix for this across all of our spring rates for these applications, including the AWD Sport, AWD Comfort, AWD Comfort Adjustable, and Model Y. The result is reduced NVH, and no chance of spring pinging.

• Informative
Reactions: Pianewman