Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was Playstation and PC but my at the time girlfriend now wife was a Halo girl, so she wanted me to switch to Xbox so we could play Destiny together. She bought me an Xbox and that's why I left the PS/PC gaming.

His and hers. Note, the laptop cooler was for the PS4 Pro, which runs hot. The Series X runs fairly cool so it isn't there anymore.
upload_2021-2-3_10-57-48.png

I began the install today of the MPP comfort coilovers tag teamed with MPP rear camber and toe arms. All of the parts or works of art and it’s a shame they have to go under the car unnoticed.

For those of you doing your own install, the Model Y access holes for the top nuts on the front damper must be larger than the M3 because you don’t need a ground down 13mm socket. My standard craftsman and a few other no name brands fit just fine.

One the driver’s side, one of the access holes is covered by the washer fluid reservoir but I removed one 10mm bolt and shimmed it out of the way.

That’s as much as I’ve accomplished tonight.

3C7D68DC-A9C0-461A-8FF7-1F55C65353AB.jpeg
3153CE81-2B74-414D-B844-6BED61A30D47.jpeg
889D68B4-7779-451A-AFDB-50D1C20F0DDB.jpeg

The MPP provided instructions are great. There is also an Electric Garage YouTube video on the MPP coilover install on an M3 that I’ve been following.

If you can change “oil” you could install this suspension with the right tools. I’m by no means mechanically inclined and have only installed lowering springs in CTSV on a single occasion.

Spent about an hour removing the front suspension today. Coilovers go in tomorrow.
3AE4208F-0D4D-40C4-8280-9345FAD0CE88.jpeg
A1D7C0DD-555D-4231-A92D-E95C76DE519A.jpeg

^ head on over to Model 3 forums to see owner’s feedback, many, many threads; it’s worth noting the observations are subjective and there’s initial break-in period for the new coilovers, finding right settings, and proper post break-in alignment MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

with that said, the RWD Model 3 (I have one with the 19” sport wheels), doesn’t ride bad on roads at all.. don’t think I would consider coilovers for it just for additional comfort; it’s more than fine for local and long distance trips, unlike the Model Y which desperately needs it. I’m excited to find out tomorrow how the Y feels, though I’m expecting the 3 will still edge out as having a better ride (than Y with 21” wheels), but the MPP coilovers will definitely improve/fix the MY’s rough horse carriage tendencies and loss of confident control on bumpy roads.

I dropped off my Y at shop today, they’ll keep it for a day after installation, allowing components to settle and do initial alignment so the numbers are not too far off; I was told to come back after 1000 miles for refining the alignment

I suspect we’ll hear from @Barrygold today on initial impressions :)

Last edited:
^ head on over to Model 3 forums to see owner’s feedback, many, many threads; it’s worth noting the observations are subjective and there’s initial break-in period for the new coilovers, finding right settings, and proper post break-in alignment MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

with that said, the RWD Model 3 (I have one with the 19” sport wheels), doesn’t ride bad on roads at all.. don’t think I would consider coilovers for it just for additional comfort; it’s more than fine for local and long distance trips, unlike the Model Y which desperately needs it. I’m excited to find out tomorrow how the Y feels, though I’m expecting the 3 will still edge out as having a better ride (than Y with 21” wheels), but the MPP coilovers will definitely improve/fix the MY’s rough horse carriage tendencies and loss of confident control on bumpy roads.

I dropped off my Y at shop today, they’ll keep it for a day after installation, allowing components to settle and do initial alignment so the numbers are not too far off; I was told to come back after 1000 miles for refining the alignment

I suspect we’ll hear from @Barrygold today on initial impressions :)

Yup, my decision was mostly based on Model 3 owners' experiences. But just wondering if someone can give us first hand what the MPP is like on the MY.

I don't think I know anyone else who's had them installed?

with that said, the RWD Model 3 (I have one with the 19” sport wheels), doesn’t ride bad on roads at all.. don’t think I would consider coilovers for it just for additional comfort; it’s more than fine for local and long distance trips.

I have the exact setup and wheels for my M3. I wanted to close the wheel gap so I’m lowered 1 inch. I installed them myself so the $1488 I paid during the MPP Black Friday Sale was worth it to lower it, feel more planted with less body roll. I never cared for the stock suspension. Reminded me more of a Civic than a sports sedan.

Reactions: gundarx
Yup, my decision was mostly based on Model 3 owners' experiences. But just wondering if someone can give us first hand what the MPP is like on the MY.

I don't think I know anyone else who's had them installed?
I have the front MPP coilovers installed on my Y performance. I’m riding on 19in winter tires too, so going for a nice improvement over the 21 ride quality. Hopefully I’ll finish the rears soon. Unfortunately work is getting in the way of my progress. I probably won’t finish installation until Thursday.
4523F295-4CD9-4EE8-AF3F-5C18733A50D4.jpeg

Last edited:
Got car back today from shop; using these settings (numbers based on MPP Coilover Installation Instructions | Mountain Pass Performance , using exactly middle height values for initial setup (1 inch drop) and maximum heights (slightly under stock); so roughly 0.5 inches drop):

Front spring perch offset:
67mm (approx. 2.638 inches)

Rear spring perch offset:
28mm (approx. 1.102 inches)

Ride height (Hub to Fender)
410.5mm (approx. 16.161 inches)

approx. height change from OEM:
-0.5 inches

Thanks to local weather, car came back dirty so I'll do a rinse-less wash before posting more photos.

I'm very happy with the height, especially that the round fenders / tires still flow well together as it did with stock height (dropping too much ruins the symmetry IMO). Also I would not want to change the height as it would throw off many settings performed by the shop including corner balancing accounting for individual weights of my family. Shop did its best to align it (see attached alignment sheet; the "before" numbers are very bad as all the suspension bits were swapped) but I'll need to come back after 1000 miles for them to fine-tune it after the new suspension settles (they'll do this for free).

BTW @MountainPass and @Barrygold the shop said the rear height adjustment seemed impossible when installed and the weight of the car was on it; something that surprised him likely due to mass of rear springs and weight, and was notably different than installing many MPP coilovers on the Model 3. He had to take it off from the car to make adjustments to the rear heights.

Just the drive back from the shop (15 miles away, mostly highway) gave a good feel for the new coilovers vs. stock.

Tire pressure was increased (to 43, from 41) so it's a bit more firm; with that said, the ride at low speeds is noticeably better than stock, by about 15%. Driving slowly through rutted parking lot did not feel like the "oh no why is this car so bumpy?" feel I got when driving the MY P on delivery day from the Tesla lot. It finally feels right. As Model 3 owners have mentioned, it feels like some roads ruts and imperfections just blend out and disappear. At higher speeds, the improvement in ride is very notable, dare I say 40% better at speeds.. ahem above the speed limit? Using MPP's initial settings, I would not call the ride luxurious; I'd describe it premium sporty. With the damper settings turned nearer to full-soft, I'm sure it will feel very comfortable, but I really like the way it feels right now.

I'll do a good grocery run later today to get a better feel. I'll also try to post a comparison video (I recorded rides with stock suspension last week) which would be a better study than my words. Off to clean the car..

receipt notes.jpg
initial alignment.jpg
IMG_4240.jpeg

Last edited: