Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, the height doesn't affect the damper characteristics at all - the forces produced are the same no matter what the shaft position. So the only time you'll see a change in ride quality would be:

1. The car was so high that over potholes as the suspension "drooped" to absorb the depression, the damper ran out of travel. We designed our dampers to have a ton of droop, so you can run very high without this kind of thing occurring, however, it gets to a point where it's just uncomfortable to adjust the spring perches because there's so much tension to get that high! That's where it makes sense to use the lift kit.
  2. The car is so low that it starts engaging the bump rubber during normal driving.

Because the dampers have so much travel, the working range is quite large. Sometimes dampers have very limited travel, in which case a fixed (non-body length adjustable damper) can have some large trade-offs when you set it too far outside of that narrow travel window.

Thanks for the support as always guys!

To clarify, I set it to stock Performance height. It's my wife's car, so that's where it will stay. But I agree, and presumably the improvement would be even more noticeable if lowered a bit.
Stock MYP ride height is mildly lowered, so you should be in the sweet spot for the MPP coilovers.
So if they've a little harsh low speed, that's what they are with your current settings.
Just keep playing with adjustments to the compression/rebound settings.

Reactions: Pianewman
Agreed with everything @Pianewman says. I have the same experience where low speed harshness didn't improve much going over construction plates, manholes, and rail road tracks. Highspeed highway improvement is a lot more noticeable, though. Even though I'm on 19's the higher PSI requirement for Teslas also doesn't help. In the summer time the heat causes my PSI to go upwards of 48 is terrible for ride comfort. I've seen a difference (better comfort) now that temperatures are dropping and my PSI are finally hovering at 42.
Who told you you should be running the tires at 48 lb? We run ours at 38 in the summer and put up with a little bit more electron consumption in exchange for a lot better ride.

Sudsington: I don't think that any "XL" (extra load) tire on the market can be called a "squishy tire." Even with an aspect ratio of 45, the sidewalls are very stiff.

I still contend that the XL tires are the number one cause of road harshness.
That's an absolutely bizarre contention given that many great riding tires are XL. You're saying that the XL designation is more important than the sidewall distance, unsprung weight, tread characteristics, degree of bushing isolation, tire pressures and suspension characteristics especially compression setting on shocks? What is your evidence for such a wild and unusual assertion? I'll tell you what let's do a test. You get a car and replace all the Street suspension bushings with racing bushings made out of polyethylene or polyurethane and I'll put on some XL tires on the same edition of the same car and we'll see who's car rides more harshly. Who's car do you think is going to win that competition for Harsh ride?

Sudsington: I don't think that any "XL" (extra load) tire on the market can be called a "squishy tire." Even with an aspect ratio of 45, the sidewalls are very stiff.

I still contend that the XL tires are the number one cause of road harshness.
Not sure I agree with the tires being the main issue. My uncle's Audi Etron Sportback (~5,700 lbs) has XL tires rated for higher loads than the Model Y (~4,400 lbs) and I don't feel the road harshness at any speed. More likely, it's related to suspension components and lack of NVH isolation for cost/weight savings.

Stock MYP ride height is mildly lowered, so you should be in the sweet spot for the MPP coilovers.
So if they've a little harsh low speed, that's what they are with your current settings.
Just keep playing with adjustments to the compression/rebound settings.
I'm very happy with them and the settings. As I think you can clearly see in the video I posted, there is much less body movement with the MPP Comfort's vs the Stock suspension even at low speeds on really poor roads.

Reactions: dfwatt
I'm very happy with them and the settings. As I think you can clearly see in the video I posted, there is much less body movement with the MPP Comfort's vs the Stock suspension even at low speeds on really poor roads.
How many miles do you have on the MPP suspension? Did you notice any "softening" over time that necessitated further adjustment? Thanks for sharing the video.

Just over 3,000 at this point. I haven't touched them since the initial minor adjustments for the alignment.
We've got easily 45,000 miles combined on two different sets one Comfort adjustable in one sport coilover, with that 45,000 Mi roughly split equally between mine and my wife's car. I can't tell any difference at all although my car might be slightly more supple than when I first installed the sport kit. I'm tempted to dial up some more shock firmness as I've got them set at 10 / 8 but the car feels just so good I'm not sure I can really improve on it. At least in terms of a street setting. What's the firmest you were able to tolerate them on the street? And where do you set the sport kit on an average technical track?

Whats the consesus on how much they settle? I have a MYLR that I was planning on dropping about 1" This should be put me right about performance height right? Saw .5" and 1" but I couldn't really find a true measurement comparison when it comes to ride height differences.

@MountainPass

I am testing out the different compression and rebound settings on the coilovers. I was wondering roughly how many clicks from full stiff are available for rebound and compression. Compression (front and back) seems to max out at 14 clicks from full stiff, but I'm not sure I'm able to determine the number of clicks that are available from full stiff for rear rebound. Front rebound seems to be 20-21 clicks max from full stiff. Thanks for any information you can provide!

How many clicks are there supposed to be? My front compression has 14 clicks from full soft to full firm. Front rebound is 20 clicks. On the rear compression, from full stiff it turns 12 clicks and then stops clicking and doesn't feel like its hitting the detents but seems to turn 3 more positions before it gets hard to turn for a total of 15 positions? Rear rebound is 20 clicks.

Is this normal? It seems some of you have more clicks? If so, are the settings being discussed comparable? Some suggested 14 all around but that maxes out my front compression and almost maxes out the rear.
Sorry for pulling referencing such an old post, but did you get any confirmation from MPP that the max # of rebound clicks from full stiff is supposed to be 20? Can we go past 14 clicks from full stiff for rebound, even though MPP's max comfort recommendation is 14 clicks from full stiff all around? Thanks for any insight.

Sorry for pulling referencing such an old post, but did you get any confirmation from MPP that the max # of rebound clicks from full stiff is supposed to be 20? Can we go past 14 clicks from full stiff for rebound, even though MPP's max comfort recommendation is 14 clicks from full stiff all around? Thanks for any insight.
The number of adjustment clicks would be 14 from full stiff. Beyond 14 there is not going to be any additional softening as the valve is already very open and the limiting factor would be the size of the orifice itself!