TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Moving from NJ to NY - sales tax @ registration?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Stasla, Mar 30, 2016.

?

I moved a ZEV from NJ to NY and...

1. Didn't have to pay any NY sales tax :)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NYS DMV made me pay sales tax :(

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stasla

Stasla Member

Wondering if any members moved from NJ to NY with their Tesla, and whether NY DMV made them pay the sales tax at registration?

As many of you may know, NJ MVC does not charge/collect a sales/use tax on ZEVs, including Teslas.

NY DMV, however, does. Question is: when a ZEV owner moves to NY, does the NYS DMV make them pay the sales tax on a vehicle that's been purchased previously in a state which is exempting ZEVs from sales/use tax?

Anyone with personal experience?

Any help would be much appreciated.

1st post - so apologies if this is the wrong section to post this in.

2. KensingtonPark

I suppose it depends on how long ago you lived in NJ and whether you are leasing. If you were a bona fide NJ resident and purchased it outright, NY has no basis for imposing a sales tax on you. The only basis for the state to do so would be to contend that you temporarily "moved" somehow to NJ for the purpose of avoiding the sales tax.

If you are leasing, however, you will be forced to pay the sales tax for the remainder of your entire lease upon registration. I had to do that when I moved from out of state with a leased vehicle.

3. Stasla

Stasla Member

Thanks for your reply, interesting point about purchase vs. Lease. NYS has a single sales tax exemption form for both purchased and leased vehicles.

For NYS leases, I know that they tax remaining payments for lease assumptions, even if the original lessee prepaid all taxes at inception. My sister learned that lesson the hard (and expensive) way after taking over a someone else's lease. She had to fork over a few grand at registration.

For new registration without a change of ownership, however, since there's no financial transaction involved - one would think no additional taxes would be due, regardless of the financing instrument: loan or lease.

Just trying to see if any members in NY dealt with this for their Tesla or another ZEV specifically for NYS DMV registrations.

4. KensingtonPark

When I moved to New York last year (from CA), I was not asked whether I paid sales tax on my Volt (which was purchased). I was not required to pay any kind of tax. I did, like your sister, have to pay sales tax on my Audi (which was leased).

5. Stasla

Stasla Member

Wow that is good to know! They taxed you even though the leasee didn't change?

6. KensingtonPark