Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving from NJ to NY - sales tax @ registration?

I moved a ZEV from NJ to NY and...

• Didn't have to pay any NY sales tax :)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • NYS DMV made me pay sales tax :(

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if any members moved from NJ to NY with their Tesla, and whether NY DMV made them pay the sales tax at registration?

As many of you may know, NJ MVC does not charge/collect a sales/use tax on ZEVs, including Teslas.

NY DMV, however, does. Question is: when a ZEV owner moves to NY, does the NYS DMV make them pay the sales tax on a vehicle that's been purchased previously in a state which is exempting ZEVs from sales/use tax?

Anyone with personal experience?

Any help would be much appreciated.

1st post - so apologies if this is the wrong section to post this in.

I suppose it depends on how long ago you lived in NJ and whether you are leasing. If you were a bona fide NJ resident and purchased it outright, NY has no basis for imposing a sales tax on you. The only basis for the state to do so would be to contend that you temporarily "moved" somehow to NJ for the purpose of avoiding the sales tax.

If you are leasing, however, you will be forced to pay the sales tax for the remainder of your entire lease upon registration. I had to do that when I moved from out of state with a leased vehicle.

Thanks for your reply, interesting point about purchase vs. Lease. NYS has a single sales tax exemption form for both purchased and leased vehicles.

For NYS leases, I know that they tax remaining payments for lease assumptions, even if the original lessee prepaid all taxes at inception. My sister learned that lesson the hard (and expensive) way after taking over a someone else's lease. She had to fork over a few grand at registration.

For new registration without a change of ownership, however, since there's no financial transaction involved - one would think no additional taxes would be due, regardless of the financing instrument: loan or lease.

Just trying to see if any members in NY dealt with this for their Tesla or another ZEV specifically for NYS DMV registrations.

The state you are moving to should not charge any sales tax on the car since it's already been registered and "taxed" (I know NJ doesn't have sales tax on electric cars).

I am purchasing soon (loan or cash). I would like to purchase and take delivery in NJ to avoid sales tax and then move the car to Buffalo a short term later.
Does anyone have experience with this?

Where is your license from and where is the car going to be registered?

If you live in Buffalo, NY, then you can not buy in NJ with no sales tax. Tesla will collect sales tax for the state that the car is being registered in (or you will owe those taxes to the state).

What you are proposing is not possible unless you live in NJ now, register the car, then move out of state.

I looked into this option and ended up not going through with it. A few things to consider:
  1. The car will have to be registered in NJ
  2. That means it will have to be insured in NJ, which usually means a whole new policy as the NY policies are not portable across state lines.
  3. Most importantly, if you are a NY resident, it could open you up to being accused of not only tax evasion, but also insurance fraud, if you do not live/park primarily at the NJ address.
I have only heard of people that registered in NJ and never moved it to NY. The requirements for a NJ registration are listed on the NJ MVC site if you want to see what it takes.