Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving to Cleveland with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently live in Atlanta with my Model 3, and it's very easy to have a Tesla here. They are everywhere, easy to find nearby charging, and weather is warm.
Life might move me, and my Model 3, to Cleveland. We were also planning on getting a Model X someday.
Here's what I'm worried about:
We would likely live downtown. There are only apartments downtown, which means parking garages blocks away from where you live. No guarantee these will have any outlets to even trickle charge (and would a jerk try to mess with the car?).
Superchargers seem to be sparse, and only way out in the suburbs.
With so few Teslas in the area, if I need a repair am I SOL?
The cold could kill the battery range.

"don't move to Cleveland" is not a helpful answer, but if anyone has some experience with owning a Tesla there I would really appreciate it.

There is a service center in north east Cleveland, don't know why you think you would be SOL on service due to the number of Teslas.. Atlanta is a much larger city than Cleveland. Winter, you lose generally 20-30% range, maybe more if it dips below zero. I'd look at investing in winter tires for that area. I'd also recommend looking at contacting one of the owners clubs in Ohio: located here Tesla Owners Club Directory they might be able to get you in contact with some folks.

PlugShare shows that there definitely are some garages with 120V plugs. There are also a few J-1772 locations downtown.
I see a service center in Lyndhurst.
There's a Supercharger coming downtown.
There are currently 3 Superchargers within about 20 miles.

Other words, lots of options

As a current downtown Cleveland apartment dweller and Model 3 owner, we charge in our apartment building's underground parking structure at one of their two Level 2 chargers they have installed. The cost is $90/month for the charger on top of the $160/month for parking. I know of another outdoor apartment parking structure that has just installed three EV chargers. Neither complex lists EV charging as an amenity on their website. Cleveland isn't exactly progressive when it comes to electric vehicles.

I would suggest calling all the apartment complexes asking if they have EV charging. Hopefully if enough people start requesting it, more will be inclined to install them.

Lastly, Tesla has had a downtown Cleveland supercharger "coming soon" on their website for the last 18 months. I've been periodically checking for permits for one, but haven't seen anything.

As a current downtown Cleveland apartment dweller and Model 3 owner, we charge in our apartment building's underground parking structure at one of their two Level 2 chargers they have installed. The cost is $90/month for the charger on top of the $160/month for parking. I know of another outdoor apartment parking structure that has just installed three EV chargers. Neither complex lists EV charging as an amenity on their website. Cleveland isn't exactly progressive when it comes to electric vehicles.

I would suggest calling all the apartment complexes asking if they have EV charging. Hopefully if enough people start requesting it, more will be inclined to install them.

Lastly, Tesla has had a downtown Cleveland supercharger "coming soon" on their website for the last 18 months. I've been periodically checking for permits for one, but haven't seen anything.

Good find, but ouch, $90/month!

They just put the pins on the location where Google Maps puts the pin for that town (which is often right in the middle, or in downtown). So don't assume the supercharger will be placed downtown. In fact, based on what little I know a out Cleveland, I would be surprised if the first supercharger within or near to the city limits would be placed right downtown. It's more likely to end up in a mall or something near I-90. Also, keep in mind that those pins often stay on the map for years before being built. The map is merely aspirational.

Good find, but ouch, $90/month!
Yeah, getting racked over the coals, but glad we found an indoor charging solution. We are moving out in September and hoping to actually enjoy some gas savings.

They just put the pins on the location where Google Maps puts the pin for that town (which is often right in the middle, or in downtown). So don't assume the supercharger will be placed downtown. In fact, based on what little I know a out Cleveland, I would be surprised if the first supercharger within or near to the city limits would be placed right downtown. It's more likely to end up in a mall or something near I-90. Also, keep in mind that those pins often stay on the map for years before being built. The map is merely aspirational.
Definitely, wishful thinking. Would love to see some urban superchargers added near the Rock Hall or the RM Fieldhouse. But you'll end up being correct. With Meijer coming to town, maybe they will start installing them in their parking lots as they do in Michigan.

Tesla supercharger in Cleveland says coming in Q4 of 2021. Anyone know where it may be getting built at?