Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving Wireless Phone Charger USB Port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DerbyDave

Jul 2, 2020
Kentucky
I have a Model S with the factory wireless phone charger in the console that uses one of only two USB ports in the car that support data. The two rear USB ports only provide power. Since the phone charger only needs power, it is a waste of a data USB port as configured from the factory. I added two "fast charging" 2.4 Amp USB power ports by plugging an flush adapter into the 12V power plug in the center console.
61mcOqMIgXL._AC_UL115_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charge...ve&sprefix=usb+adabpter,automotive,166&sr=1-7

Unplug the existing USB cable for the factory wireless phone charger, pull up the rubber pad covering the USB wiring, carefully remove the cable from its path that holds it, and gently pull up an inch or so of slack. Reinstall the USB plug into the new USB adapter and carefully replace the USB cable in its holding path.

Now you have one USB data port for the DashCam Sentry recordings, and another open data port for media, videos, or other data uses. You also have added a spare USB power port to help power front passenger devices. This is an easy way to add two USB ports to the front seat area.

Curious whether or not you can say it charges any faster this way, or if the “fast-charging” ports are basically same as the data port?
It is fast charging, but I don't know if one is faster. I am fairly sure the new USB port from the 12 volt socket adapter I added is 2.4A. I think the factory data capable USB port that the wireless charger is normally plugged into is at least 2.0A, mainly because I don't think my Samsung S10 phone would report fast charging with any less power. My experience is they are both fast. My main point was to free up both factory data USB ports for data use, instead of wasting one data capable port just to power the wireless charger.

I have a SanDisk MAX Endurance microSD Card - 256GB designed for DashCams for the TeslaCam put into a tiny SanDisk Mobilemate USB 3.0 Reader. I have another media USB Device for music and videos. No clutter.
mobilemate-uhs-i-usb-3-0-microsd-reader-writer-top-left.png.thumb.319.319.png

Last edited: