Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPG equivalent using Tesla supercharger is very low

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's a fair general statement that if you charge at home, your are getting close to that 100 mpg equivalent cost, but if you charge at a supercharger, you are paying about the same as a non-hybrid ICE car..

Details: if you average 250 wh/mile, and your electricity cost is around $0.10/Kwh, (as it is in Washington), you are paying about 2.5 cents/mile. (4m/Kwh).
The cost at Tesla superchargers that bill by KwH is $0.28/KwH, or about 7 c/mile. (Supercharging)

If you drive a BMW (or even a Subaru Outback) you are averaging roughly 25mpg, so if gas cost $2.50/gal, you are paying roughly 10c/mile (or 4 times as much as the Tesla). (Obviously mpg varies, as does $/gal - so this is just a very simple but fairly representative example that makes it easy to see the relative cent/mile).

Note that folks in Hawaii who are paying $0.40/Kwh are paying as much for electricity as they would pay for gas in an ICE car.
If you live in NYC and pay $0.23/Kwh, you are paying about 6c/mile, or about the same as you would pay if you drove a Prius and got 50mpg.

Last edited:
if you average 250 wh/mile, and your electricity cost is around $0.10/Kwh, (as it is in Washington), you are paying about 2.5 cents/mile. (4m/Kwh).

To be clear, you do need to include charging losses. The very best 2020 SR+ is rated at 24kWh/100mi, which you'll achieve if you get about 209Wh/mi driving efficiency. Most people should expect about 10% more than that EPA number (due to feature & vampire drain). If in a very cold climate with non-optimal charging, add 40% (due to heating costs).

So between 260Wh/mi (very best case - SR+ in Florida or Southern California) and 330Wh/mi for the SR+. Obviously if you do all freeway driving in a cold climate, with 120V charging it could easily be even higher.

If you averaged 250Wh/mi driving you propose, you should expect charging costs of about 1.25*250Wh/mi*$0.1/kWh = 3.1 cents/mi.

As discussed earlier, these numbers aren't the same if you rely primarily on Supercharging; you can reduce the consumption multipliers a little, due to lack of AC-DC losses. But the costs will likely still end up substantially higher.

For the $0.28/kWh Supercharger rate in Washington, the SR+ will cost $0.28/kWh*219Wh/rmi = 6.1 cents / rated mile used (not per mile traveled).

Last edited:
The very best 2020 SR+ is rated at 24kWh/100mi, which you'll achieve if you get about 209Wh/mi driving efficiency.

I'm curious where you get the 209 wh/m. My little Tesla battery meter on the display ticks down at a pretty reliable 1 'rated mile' for every 240 wh consumed (independent of actual miles driven, of course), which is consistent with what others report in these forums.. And it fills up at a pretty reliable 240-250 wh/m input (charging at 239v and 15a).

I agree that actual consumption is usually higher than 240 wh/m - in the Seattle area we have averaged 260 wh/m over the past 6 months.

My little Tesla battery meter on the display ticks down at a pretty reliable 1 'rated mile' for every 240 wh consumed (independent of actual miles driven, of course), which is consistent with what others report in these forums.. And it fills up at a pretty reliable 240-250 wh/m input (charging at 239v and 15a).

The 209Wh/rmi is for the SR+. If you have an AWD it's ticking down at a rate between ~228Wh/rmi and ~234Wh/rmi (you can measure this carefully yourself of course). Charging is a very solid 245Wh/rmi. But that charging number displayed on the car screen does not include any charging losses (it is measured after the AC-DC conversion).

Below is my best current understanding, based on current observations. I can only be really certain about the AWD, since that's what I have, but various sources indicate I'm at least close on the other vehicle types:

Lines & Constants

We have a long range model 3 and occasionally need to charge it via a Tesla supercharger. We primarily charge it at home. Now a Model 3 is purported to have an eMPG in the 100s. We have been noting on average a charge of $1.00 per a 10 miles of added range via a Tesla Supercharger. For example, our last charge added about 100 miles (of range) at a cost of $10.21. If you assume the cost of a gallon of gas of $3.20 ($/g), I could have purchased about 3.2 gallons of gas ($10.21/$3.20 $/g). Now that equals about 31.25 MPG (100 miles of range added / 3.2 gallons). That is three times less than the quoted 100 eMPG of a model 3! Could other please share their experience and costs - miles versus $. Thank you.

How much of that was idle fees from the car being fully charged?

Reactions: Rocky_H