Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very happy with my new Comfort Coilovers from Mountain Pass Performance and KW. VERY happy. The car is definitely more comfortable and better handling than stock.

They were installed yesterday at West End Alignment in Gardena, CA, which I also highly recommend. Chris is fanatical, meticulous, prompt, and communicative.

The vibrations coming into the cabin are reduced. “Muted” is the word that immediately came to mind. “Muffled“ may apply. I was aiming at road defects and smiling.

It is quieter. Sound is vibration, so less vibration means less noise in the cabin. I never heard anyone say that. It was a surprise to me.

It clearly corners much better, with less body roll. Clearly. More smiles. The flatter cornering adds to the comfort as well as the excitement. I don’t know why MPP doesn’t claim this. There must be ways to measure it so they can. If there’s no app for that, how about a bowl of water on the floor, and measure the spill?

Of course it looks better. It looks right. My installer agreed with the MPP height recommendation. Mine are set a few mm above the MPP recommendation to allow for slight settling.

The stock setup was annoying. Now my M3P rides like the German cars I am used to. The only downside besides the time and money is that I will probably wear out my tires faster now that it corners better.

Has anyone else noticed a reduction in noise / vibration with the comfort coil overs (or perhaps an increase)? In my experience, suspension tuning can definitely impact (no pun intended) this one way or the other. Given all the thread traffic on noise levels with the Model 3, I figure it is worth polling a few more folks.

@MountainPass

I received my hybrid coilovers (sport dampers w/ comfort springs) and these things ooze quality! Very impressed.

I'm not finding much around initial settings on this setup. The rears seemed to match the initial comfort settings for the spring perch distance but on the fronts I have ~60mm perch distance to give my a 1-2 finger wheel gap. It looks like the latest version of the dampers no longer use the rubber isolator from the stock dampers? Also no Teflon shims included or mentioned in mpp's latest instructions.

My next question would be the initial compression/rebound settings? I started 12C/10R all around and seemed pretty good. I went one step softer 13/11 and the car did not feel in control at highway speed. Assuming the starting point will be different with the soft springs vs sport but would like to know what mpp thinks.

@MountainPass

I received my hybrid coilovers (sport dampers w/ comfort springs) and these things ooze quality! Very impressed.

I'm not finding much around initial settings on this setup. The rears seemed to match the initial comfort settings for the spring perch distance but on the fronts I have ~60mm perch distance to give my a 1-2 finger wheel gap. It looks like the latest version of the dampers no longer use the rubber isolator from the stock dampers? Also no Teflon shims included or mentioned in mpp's latest instructions.

My next question would be the initial compression/rebound settings? I started 12C/10R all around and seemed pretty good. I went one step softer 13/11 and the car did not feel in control at highway speed. Assuming the starting point will be different with the soft springs vs sport but would like to know what mpp thinks.

Pros and cons for the hybrid? Curious what's your reason for going with them instead of the Sports cause I've heard the sports are almost as comfortable as the Comforts?

@MountainPass

In my experience the OEM rubber isolator is way more effective than the super hard thin rubber donut that comes with the kit. I tried both, and the OEM was way smoother and much better at absorbing sharp impacts without losing anything in terms of handling transients. 12 C / 10R is a great starting point for sure, and I found that pretty comfortable even with the Sports Springs so with a comfort Springs it should be even better. From there it's tune to taste.

And yes the kit does just ooze quality!

In my experience the OEM rubber isolator is way more effective than the super hard thin rubber donut that comes with the kit. I tried both, and the OEM was way smoother and much better at absorbing sharp impacts without losing anything in terms of handling transients. 12 C / 10R is a great starting point for sure, and I found that pretty comfortable even with the Sports Springs so with a comfort Springs it should be even better. From there it's tune to taste.

And yes the kit does just ooze quality!

This is the current front coil setup. Are you referring to the spring spacer? I aligned mine exactly as the pic, but do see some installs where people have used the rubber isolator with the spring spacer and without.
I no suspension expert, so didnt know if a different spring rate would be better accompanied by a different C/R than the sports.

Capture.PNG

Pros and cons for the hybrid? Curious what's your reason for going with them instead of the Sports cause I've heard the sports are almost as comfortable as the Comforts?

My main thing I wanted was comfort without sacrificing OEM handling. Living in the salt belt, stainless will age a little better. I also wanted to have the opportunity to adjust the suspension (not that I will do it that often). Lastly, if I ever do decide to track the car, hopefully I can just purchase the sport springs as a standalone item.

This is the current front coil setup. Are you referring to the spring spacer? I aligned mine exactly as the pic, but do see some installs where people have used the rubber isolator with the spring spacer and without.
I no suspension expert, so didnt know if a different spring rate would be better accompanied by a different C/R than the sports.

View attachment 479236

I haven't read the mountain pass installation instructions since they may have gotten somewhat revised. But the instructions for my install was to use the original OEM which goes between that aluminum column and the top hat. My installer unfortunately missed that somehow. After experiencing the ride with the hard rubber donut between that aluminum collar and the top hat, I had them swap it out for the OEM isolator piece. The difference was really noticeable.

Hoping @MountainPass can chime in on the best way to install the newest versions.

Also seems that the new versions fork are universal for AWD and RWD?

While we waited for KW to make us the spring spacers that you now see in the kits (and the photo) we were making our own aluminum spacers. They were quite expensive to make and we had to ship them separately from Canada, so it was all a pretty big pain! We also had to wait to test with the KW spacers against our own and were happy with their quality and performance. Overall, the installation experience is simpler with less room for error, and on our end, things are much more streamlined now that the entire kit can be made and assembled in Germany.

As for damper settings, if you feel like high-speed control is lacking at the softer setting, try firming up the rebound a few clicks but leaving the compression setting where it is.

You can certainly order the Sports springs from us and install them later if you get bitten with the track bug! I personally try to screen anyone who wants a hybrid kit thoroughly to make sure they don't have any sort of regret and want the Sports springs later.

How do the KW spacers compare to the ones you made and shipped out (which is what I have) ? Any reason to replace with the newer KW ones? My installer could never get the ride height to match front and back and I am curious if the kw ones are a difference specification, even if just slightly?

How do the KW spacers compare to the ones you made and shipped out (which is what I have) ? Any reason to replace with the newer KW ones? My installer could never get the ride height to match front and back and I am curious if the kw ones are a difference specification, even if just slightly?

They are shorter, so lower ride heights in the front are possible. We have extras here if you'd like to try them out! Just shoot us an email so I know who you are:D

What about using the OEM rubber isolator. Is it better to use only the spring spacer, spacer and isolator, or just isolator?

Original design - spring directly on tophat - noisy (this is how our competitor's kits are designed, they also don't use rubber isolation in the rear!)

Second design
- rubber isolator and aluminum spacer - quiet

Current design
- plastic KW spacer - quiet

The aluminum spacer would transmit NVH quite a bit without the isolator, while the plastic spacer is suitably isolating without the rubber.

Reactions: lanek and SD_Engnr