Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clearly you have not owned many sets of aftermarket shocks! Yes of course kW in consultation with mountain pass picked a setting for rebound and compression that was a compromise across a lot of potential user scenarios. But that compromise setting for both compression and rebound might not suit everybody all the time in all scenarios.That's one issue. The other issue is that of course shock valving wears a little bit overtime. You in fact can compensate that by dialing up shock firmness. The fact that you don't know that says again you don't have a lot of experience with this

I would love to hear @MountainPass input on this. If this really were the case I don't think they would offer a non adjustable option they don't believe in. If it is ultimate comfort I am looking for then I believe in MPP's knowledge and experience to dial that in for me in their comfort coilovers... if it is flexibility that I'm after then yes the adjustable version makes sense. But to tell someone not to consider the fixed setting option is like suggesting that is an overall inferior product. Also, if you are dialing up the shock settings to compensate for a leaky or weakening shock you're not fixing the main problem, you're just delaying it. It's like putting a band-aid over an infected wound.

Finally, for you to assume that I don't have any experience with aftermarket shocks saids a lot about you. What lead you to this conclusion? Matter of fact I've experienced a wide range of aftermarket suspension since I was a kid in high school with just about every car I've owned. From springs, to eBay sleeve "coilovers" to high end adjustable coilovers to full air ride suspension, I pushed the limits of these cars in their own rights and have learned a great deal about suspensions.

Here are some of the cars I've owned and worked on in the past. Suspension and wheels/tires are usually the first things on the list.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.png
6.JPG
7.png

I started to get quotes for this installation and I am getting different numbers dependent on if I have Dual/Single motor. Can someone enlighten my why the quotes are different depending on Single or Dual motor? TIA

It's very close to the same effort to replace the shocks in RWD and AWD. At worst, it's like 8 extra bolts to remove. Check out the many install videos on youtube to see how it's basically the same effort. I just DIY installed the Comfort Coilovers on my AWD this week.

I am leaning toward installing the non-adjustable comfort coilovers. Just out of curiosity, what are the rebound/compression numbers for the non-adjustable if it was adjustable?

I just installed the non-adjustable comfort coilovers. I got what I wanted: A much more refined and sophisticated ride quality. The stock shocks are horrible and made the car uncomfortable on long freeway drives. The stock shocks were ok at slow speeds, and on really smooth freeways, but we don't have many smooth freeways around here. The Comfort Coilovers make the 3 ride like a premium vehicle.

I made my ride height a little higher than the specs on the MMP website because I wasn't after a drop, just better quality. Even the slight drop makes the car look better.

Tesla Sport.jpg

I just installed the non-adjustable comfort coilovers. I got what I wanted: A much more refined and sophisticated ride quality. The stock shocks are horrible and made the car uncomfortable on long freeway drives. The stock shocks were ok at slow speeds, and on really smooth freeways, but we don't have many smooth freeways around here. The Comfort Coilovers make the 3 ride like a premium vehicle.

I made my ride height a little higher than the specs on the MMP website because I wasn't after a drop, just better quality. Even the slight drop makes the car look better.

View attachment 608158

I went for a mild drop as well, around .75" drop (roughly three finger gap). What did you set yours at?

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I've got about 1000 miles on the comforts for my AWD. I've changed the ride height 3 times within these 1000 miles.

This is ride height at 74mm front and 24mm rear. The ride quality is better than OEM. Great on turns, comfy, really no worry about scraping the bottom. Honestly if you are a set it and forget it type of person, this will probably suffice the masses which is why MPP recommends this setting.
9JtSCOL.jpg

I decided I wanted it lower though. This is now at 53mm front and 12mm rear. It looks great, but man do these coilovers not feel the same when it's at this setting. The car felt less comfort, more jarring. Also, you gain a lot of more road noise on highway driving. Going this low required me to get the MPP Front Upper Control Arms because the camber on my front driver side went to -2.0. Another issue with this low of a setting is scraping. Over bumps, if you don't take it slow like a snail, you will scrap the side skirt plastic. Potential to hit the battery pack. IMO it isn't good for daily driving.
43W0bVt.jpg

So this is what I settled with. It's minimal of a lift compared to the above, but the car feels much better and I don't have to worry so much about going over bumps. 64mm front and 18mm rear. You can tell the front went up a bit more, and the rear very subtle. I love it, and would recommend it. I decided to have my front camber at -1.5 and rear at -1.7. No issues with getting toe aligned within spec. Road noise is less prominent, but it's still there and I can deal with it, or eventually tone it out with music.
Cg2FRkc.jpg

To sum it up, great coilovers & front upper control arms, good company to work with, many thanks to Jesse who helped answer all my questions when I was trying to figure things out. I hope this info helps for all the fellow AWD owners. #'s will not be the same for RWD

Last edited:
Which coilovers are these? You have the look im going for. Your car looks incredible!
Finally got my MPP coils in. Went in pretty smooth. Only have about 100miles of seat time but I love them. Firm yet no sacrifice in ride quality.
Started with MPP’s recommended “sport” settings for the performance. (70mm front, 18mm rear)
Didn’t quite get the stance I wanted so ended up @ 60mm front, 12mm rear.

I've got about 1000 miles on the comforts for my AWD. I've changed the ride height 3 times within these 1000 miles.

This is ride height at 74mm front and 24mm rear. The ride quality is better than OEM. Great on turns, comfy, really no worry about scraping the bottom. Honestly if you are a set it and forget it type of person, this will probably suffice the masses which is why MPP recommends this setting.
9JtSCOL.jpg

I decided I wanted it lower though. This is now at 53mm front and 12mm rear. It looks great, but man do these coilovers not feel the same when it's at this setting. The car felt less comfort, more jarring. Also, you gain a lot of more road noise on highway driving. Going this low required me to get the MPP Front Upper Control Arms because the camber on my front driver side went to -2.0. Another issue with this low of a setting is scraping. Over bumps, if you don't take it slow like a snail, you will scrap the side skirt plastic. Potential to hit the battery pack. IMO it isn't good for daily driving.
43W0bVt.jpg

So this is what I settled with. It's minimal of a lift compared to the above, but the car feels much better and I don't have to worry so much about going over bumps. 64mm front and 18mm rear. You can tell the front went up a bit more, and the rear very subtle. I love it, and would recommend it. I decided to have my front camber at -1.5 and rear at -1.7. No issues with getting toe aligned within spec. Road noise is less prominent, but it's still there and I can deal with it, or eventually tone it out with music.
Cg2FRkc.jpg

To sum it up, great coilovers & front upper control arms, good company to work with, many thanks to Jesse who helped answer all my questions when I was trying to figure things out. I hope this info helps for all the fellow AWD owners. #'s will not be the same for RWD

Thank you so much for taking the time to write the review and take the great comparison photos! We tried our best to zero in on the initial height settings that the largest demographic will be happy with, which seems to have been pretty close.

View attachment 608158

Thanks!!!! That is the direction I am going. Purchased them today while they were on sale. Adjustables would have been fun until I found the setting I liked and stood with it. I don't track at all but do drive on the aggressive side. Looking forward to comparing stock to MPP.

Finished installing MPP Comfort coil overs View attachment 530873 View attachment 530874 a few days ago and man what a difference !
I had been driving with Eibach 1” drop springs with cut Back bump stops. The stock shocks were defiantly over dampened and even with cut back bump stops it often hit them.
The freeway ride is so much smoother and obsorbs sharp bumps with ease. Also when you pull into driveways it no longer kicks back harshly from hitting the stops.
Great job MPP !
Finished installing MPP Comfort coil overs View attachment 530873 View attachment 530874 a few days ago and man what a difference !
I had been driving with Eibach 1” drop springs with cut Back bump stops. The stock shocks were defiantly over dampened and even with cut back bump stops it often hit them.
The freeway ride is so much smoother and obsorbs sharp bumps with ease. Also when you pull into driveways it no longer kicks back harshly from hitting the stops.
Great job MPP !
------
Can you tell me more. im currently debating between the eibach pro (springs and bars) for $500 vs the $2,400 sport coils. mostly spirited Bay area driving and maybe 2 track days a year is my goal.

------
Can you tell me more. im currently debating between the eibach pro (springs and bars) for $500 vs the $2,400 sport coils. mostly spirited Bay area driving and maybe 2 track days a year is my goal.

Well it's a bit like comparing Rodger Federer to some guy who won a local tennis tournament. It's a total solution versus a shortcut. Changing Springs without changing shocks and having shocks that can be adjusted, while clearly offering some aesthetic benefits and reduced roll, is not going to get you to the best car behavior and Dynamics. The MPP sports coilovers which I've had in my car for a year-and-a-half are really brilliant. They have an enormous range of adjustment both in in terms of ride height and in terms of firmness. Plus you will get MPP's great customer service and support, and it's virtually guaranteed that the Sports coilover kit will not introduce any extraneous suspension noises, and if you surf the Forums here and look at what people are reporting with a boatload of different aftermarket Springs, that's not guaranteed for the other option.

If you can afford them, there's simply no comparison with just Springs or even Springs + bars.