Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it's a bit like comparing Rodger Federer to some guy who won a local tennis tournament. It's a total solution versus a shortcut. Changing Springs without changing shocks and having shocks that can be adjusted, while clearly offering some aesthetic benefits and reduced roll, is not going to get you to the best car behavior and Dynamics. The MPP sports coilovers which I've had in my car for a year-and-a-half are really brilliant. They have an enormous range of adjustment both in in terms of ride height and in terms of firmness. Plus you will get MPP's great customer service and support, and it's virtually guaranteed that the Sports coilover kit will not introduce any extraneous suspension noises, and if you surf the Forums here and look at what people are reporting with a boatload of different aftermarket Springs, that's not guaranteed for the other option.

If you can afford them, there's simply no comparison with just Springs or even Springs + bars.

Well, I don't know if I can afford them, but I went ahead and bought the mpp sport coils and rear camber arms . any advice on where to get installed in the bay area?

I don't have any personal experience with them, but i've heard nothing but good things about them in terms of workmanship and reasonable pricing: Sonic Motorsport

I've also read good things about Griffin Motorwerks in Albany/Berkeley area.

I just installed the non-adjustable comfort coilovers. I got what I wanted: A much more refined and sophisticated ride quality. The stock shocks are horrible and made the car uncomfortable on long freeway drives. The stock shocks were ok at slow speeds, and on really smooth freeways, but we don't have many smooth freeways around here. The Comfort Coilovers make the 3 ride like a premium vehicle.

I made my ride height a little higher than the specs on the MMP website because I wasn't after a drop, just better quality. Even the slight drop makes the car look better.

View attachment 608158
I'm pretty sure the shocks weren't your problem; it is the very limited range before hitting bump stops.

Reactions: MODEL+
I dunno. I can understand that for lowered cars, but my 3 was jacked up like an SUV on the factory suspension, so it should have had enough travel. It was just an uncomfortable ride with the stock suspension.

Nah, the shock travel is really short in relation to the bump stop. When I was putting on springs I was legit shocked (no pun intended) so I took a pic...

AhhAku9.jpeg

This is for the factory ride height, think about how much travel you're left with on lowering springs.

I'm on MPP comforts now, night and day difference even when I'm sitting slammed on 20"!!

X9hjyfm.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: DennyL and Apone
Nah, the shock travel is really short in relation to the bump stop. When I was putting on springs I was legit shocked (no pun intended) so I took a pic...
You have to keep in mind just how soft and progressive "bump stops" are in your typical OEM setup. They are very typically designed to be on the edge of engagement or very slightly engaged at stock ride heights. Think of them more as secondary, progressive springs than hard bump stops. Most of the harshness in the stock setup is likely due to shock valving and not necessarily due to the bump-stop setup.

The Bump Stops Here - Tech Talk - Modified Magazine
Insights into bump-stop tuning | Vehicle Dynamics International

You have to keep in mind just how soft and progressive "bump stops" are in your typical OEM setup. They are very typically designed to be on the edge of engagement or very slightly engaged at stock ride heights. Think of them more as secondary, progressive springs than hard bump stops. Most of the harshness in the stock setup is likely due to shock valving and not necessarily due to the bump-stop setup.

The Bump Stops Here - Tech Talk - Modified Magazine
Insights into bump-stop tuning | Vehicle Dynamics International

We calculated the spring rates of the bump stops and springs independently, then combined so you can visualize the difference!

Suspension Tech - Firmer But More Comfortable? How Can That Be? | Mountain Pass Performance

2018 Model 3 RWD here with 18s and Pilot Sport 4S tires. I want a much less bumpy ride, willing to sacrifice handling. Can anyone tell me what to get for the best ride quality?
- Looking at MPP Comfort Adjustable coilovers
- Would MPP toe arms or camber arms be needed too?
- What summer tires will be the most comfortable? I'm in Los Angeles.
I'd like to stay as close to stock ride height as possible. Any info is appreciated, Thanks.

2018 Model 3 RWD here with 18s and Pilot Sport 4S tires. I want a much less bumpy ride, willing to sacrifice handling. Can anyone tell me what to get for the best ride quality?
I'd like to stay as close to stock ride height as possible. Any info is appreciated, Thanks.

The Comfort Adjustable Coilovers are great! I just took delivery of a 2021 Performance and forgot how much nicer my 2018 rides on the MPP Comfort's - it's a night and day difference. You would not need the toe arms or camber arms unless you are looking to track the car. You can definitely have them adjusted to the stock ride height. The PS4S is a pretty great summer tire, I would probably stick with that.

The Comfort Adjustable Coilovers are great! I just took delivery of a 2021 Performance and forgot how much nicer my 2018 rides on the MPP Comfort's - it's a night and day difference. You would not need the toe arms or camber arms unless you are looking to track the car. You can definitely have them adjusted to the stock ride height. The PS4S is a pretty great summer tire, I would probably stick with that.
I guess the question is whether or not the adjustable comforts can let you dial in more comfort with lower damping settings...

It does look like with the adjustable comforts, the highest ride height is 10mm lower than stock, while the non-adjustable comfort can maintain stock height. In SoCal, does the extra corrosion resistance of the adjustable coilovers help much?

The Camber arms are highly recommended. Jesse from MPP, however, stated they are not essential if you are lowering your model 3 about 0.5 inches or less. Your alignment may just be very slightly off if that matters to you. After I had the comfort adjustables installed I immediately noticed greater stability feel and those very harsh bump impacts seemed to disappear. My 2018 LR Dual motor Model 3 with boost now feels like a tight sports sedan without any harsh impacts that make me wonder if a rim just bent. Before the MPP dampers I would occasionally hit a pothole that felt like the car was damaged. In fact I wondered if I should keep the car no matter how amazing the pickup was. Make no mistake, the car is not Camry soft now; it's simply a more refined sports sedan ride.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
New to Tesla and have a LR-AWD on order. How much do people typically pay to install the Comfort Adjustable Coilover kit? I'm in SoCal.
Note that if you're in SoCal and you want to have coilovers installed on your 3 and you're not sure which 3rd-party installer to go with, note that Unplugged Performance is based in Hawthorne, CA since 2013 and sells coilovers. I have switched my attention to Unplugged because I'm in LA and I like the idea of installation, adjustments, and support done by the company directly. Another factor was the Black Friday political post by Canada-based Mountain Pass Performance on both their website and this forum. Brief excerpt: "to celebrate this brighter future, if you’re in Georgia, Arizona, Michigan, Wisconsin, or Pennsylvania you’ll receive an additional 4.6% discount on your Black Friday order, just use discount code “byeorange". We don’t mean to be excessively political" .
Just reporting the facts, this may sway you one way or the other, but good for people to know. Good luck!

Note that if you're in SoCal and you want to have coilovers installed on your 3 and you're not sure which 3rd-party installer to go with, note that Unplugged Performance is based in Hawthorne, CA since 2013 and sells coilovers. I have switched my attention to Unplugged because I'm in LA and I like the idea of installation, adjustments, and support done by the company directly. Another factor was the Black Friday political post by Canada-based Mountain Pass Performance on both their website and this forum. Brief excerpt: "to celebrate this brighter future, if you’re in Georgia, Arizona, Michigan, Wisconsin, or Pennsylvania you’ll receive an additional 4.6% discount on your Black Friday order, just use discount code “byeorange". We don’t mean to be excessively political" .
Just reporting the facts, this may sway you one way or the other, but good for people to know. Good luck!

If you don’t like politics, no need to inject it back into a conversation where no one was discussing it. I liked their post - shocking I know - people have very different and opposing views. And if we are reporting facts, maybe we should look at all the owners very happy with the performance of the product from mpp since we like like facts now....