Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to confirm these fit the Model 3 Mid-Range? Specs only say "Fits these vehicles: Model 3 Standard RWD, Long Range RWD"

Yes as long as you don't have a dual motor car those will fit.

Just want to confirm these fit the Model 3 Mid-Range? Specs only say "Fits these vehicles: Model 3 Standard RWD, Long Range RWD"

I will update the page now, thanks for pointing that out!

I’m liking the non adjustable coilovers so far. Feels like stock but a bit more under control at higher speeds. Wife said she’s scraped it twice, so I may raise it up some more. Two track days booked for March. Feels funny not having separate spring tension and ride height adjustment, but for more than 1k more I am content so far.

Attachments

• A96958E0-7804-4F5E-AAE4-0DC03A951AAE.jpeg
    A96958E0-7804-4F5E-AAE4-0DC03A951AAE.jpeg
    675.3 KB · Views: 326
  • BC3B1A34-5EF4-4E68-B1DC-44C160669905.jpeg
    BC3B1A34-5EF4-4E68-B1DC-44C160669905.jpeg
    670.8 KB · Views: 278
Any of you guys have experience with both comfort coilovers and sport coilovers? From reading it seems like Comfort coilovers would be best for me as I'm not planning on tracking or anything.

However a set of sports just came up for a good price local for me and I'm wondering if the sports set to a more "comfortable" setting would be worth the savings over buying comforts new.

Anyone have any experience with the sports on a more comfortable street setting?

Any of you guys have experience with both comfort coilovers and sport coilovers? From reading it seems like Comfort coilovers would be best for me as I'm not planning on tracking or anything.

However a set of sports just came up for a good price local for me and I'm wondering if the sports set to a more "comfortable" setting would be worth the savings over buying comforts new.

Anyone have any experience with the sports on a more comfortable street setting?
How do you feel about the ride with the stock suspension?

We've got both. My wife's performance Model 3 has Adjustable Comforts set at 12 / 10 and my car has the Sports, set at a somewhat firmer 10 / 8. Additionally the Sports shock valving is a bit firmer throughout the range, so the difference between those is greater than if both kits were Sports or Comforts. Can't go wrong with either kit. The sports are hardly harsh riding and you can dial up quite a bit of firmness with the Comforts. Set to their default 12/10 I think you'll find the ride with the sport kit very comfortable and handling very much improved. Overall the ride with the sport kit set to 12 / 10 I think is more comfortable than the stock suspension due to the fact that you are no longer banging into the bump stops. Plus there's no more float, particularly at high speed and more pronounced in the rear suspension, which I found disconcerting. If you're coming from a sport sedan background I think you'll love the Sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: ckalinec
How do you feel about the ride with the stock suspension?

Only had the car for about 3 weeks now. And I’m not driving a ton since I’m still stuck working from home (although I’m finding as many excuses as possible lol) so I may not have the best opinion of it at the moment.

I’ve also never changed the suspension of my cars so this is my first time really starting to pay attention to it.

I think “wobbly” may be the right way to describe it? Lol. Regular driving on the street and I certainly wouldn’t call it harsh but I wouldn’t call it super comfortable either. I feel like it absorbs imperfections/etc fine and isn’t harsh but I do feel like it’s a touch “floaty” when on imperfections.

Spirited driving and handling is definitely where I could see some improvement. Sharp turns and there’s a good bit of body roll and don’t feel very planted to the ground. Overtaking someone on the highway and I do notice it feels like it takes a second to “plant” and then “settle” back when I’m back in the lane.

Reactions: tm1v2 and dfwatt
We've got both. My wife's performance Model 3 has Adjustable Comforts set at 12 / 10 and my car has the Sports, set at a somewhat firmer 10 / 8. Additionally the Sports shock valving is a bit firmer throughout the range, so the difference between those is greater than if both kits were Sports or Comforts. Can't go wrong with either kit. The sports are hardly harsh riding and you can dial up quite a bit of firmness with the Comforts. Set to their default 12/10 I think you'll find the ride with the sport kit very comfortable and handling very much improved. Overall the ride with the sport kit set to 12 / 10 I think is more comfortable than the stock suspension due to the fact that you are no longer banging into the bump stops. Plus there's no more float, particularly at high speed and more pronounced in the rear suspension, which I found disconcerting. If you're coming from a sport sedan background I think you'll love the Sports.

Good to hear. I was initially planning on just lowering with some Eibach springs but now I’m thinking it may be better to spend a little extra cash with the ability to tweak the ride a little as well as not needing to spend the money on dampers/etc later that may wear more due to springs.

Reactions: dfwatt
Good to hear. I was initially planning on just lowering with some Eibach springs but now I’m thinking it may be better to spend a little extra cash with the ability to tweak the ride a little as well as not needing to spend the money on dampers/etc later that may wear more due to springs.
Springs actually can create more problems than they solve. Although they solve the aesthetic issue, without altering the bump stops, lowering springs can mean that you're getting on to the bump stops almost all the time. Which is part of what's wrong with the car to begin with. Then there's the issue of people with lowering springs spending hours and hours trying to figure out where the new suspension noise is coming from. We have no suspension noises on either of our installs. It's the way to go for sure.

Thanks for the input! I have been looking at these two options as well, granted I still do not have my car but I wanted that M3 feel per se. Seems like the sports will accomplish that and more but just not sure if they will be as comfortable as I will be doing 160mile commetes soon. My current experience with coilovers is with ohlins on my S2000 and I absolutely love them. I also had a ATS-V and Type R in the past with mag ride and they were the best of both worlds. Decisions Decisions

@Bigsakius Re: Öhlins - I was super impressed by the Öhlins DFV factory option on another EV I test drove (Polestar 2 Performance). Extremely well-damped and controlled, and nicely firm, yet excellent ride quality at the same time, all aspects way better than a stock Model 3. I was so impressed that I ordered Redwood's Öhlins DFV kit in "Performance Sport" before I even picked up my M3P. For anyone who knows they like how Öhlins or KW or whichever feels, that seems like a reasonable way to pick between these options (Redwood Öhlins, MPP KW, etc) in the absence of getting local test rides/drives.

I've read that Öhlins is coming out with their own fully in-house R&T / DFV kit btw, and I believe KW has already launched their in-house v3 kit, those could be good options too, though to be honest I'd still pick Redwood or MPP over the standard Öhlins or KW, unless there is a huge price advantage. Not from experience with any of them yet, but based on everything I've read here, and also because Redwood & MPP have specific valving and spring options depending whether you're focused more on comfort or handling or a mix. (I've read Öhlins will do one-off custom valving for not much extra, maybe KW will too, not sure, but personally I wouldn't even know what to ask for.)

Re: Magneride - I also tested an EV with factory magneride, the Mach-E GT PE, and that suspension felt really good too, maybe even smoother than the Polestar 2 with Öhlins (tested on different roads), but I actually liked how the Polestar with Öhlins felt & drove even more. The Polestar felt even sportier, firmer, even more responsive, gave up a little bit of extra smoothness I guess but still very smooth for such sharp & responsive handling. So good that based on those two cars I'd rather have Öhlins DFV than fancy active Magneride (though both completely outclassed the stock Model 3 suspension/damping).

Öhlins has had COVID-related delays, I'm hoping to get my Redwood kit in the next week or two, can't give any driving impressions yet though. Someone I've been chatting about these kits with just received and installed the Redwood "GT" kit (comfort focused version) on his Model 3 and is loving it. Said it rides awesome, his wife even commented how smooth it rides without any prompting, and it's also a handling upgrade at the same time. He said this is with the adjustment set towards the soft end. He did install MPP FLCA spherical bearings at the same time, which I'll be doing too.

I don't actually mind the stock Model 3 ride at all, especially after downsizing from 20" to 18" wheels, but objectively it's not very smooth compared to most modern cars, even sporty ones. I'm mostly looking for handling improvement though, that's why I went for Performance Sport, but Redwood says I should expect a nice a ride quality improvement too (depending on how firm I set them of course). We'll see! My understanding from Redwood is the GT kits are really focused on ride quality (but still expect some handling improvement!), Performance Sport are focused on handling and ride quality (both are priorities), and I believe HPDE/Competition is really focused primarily on handling (of course).

Man thanks for the reply!! I agree with what you are saying and I hope to get more input when you get your ohlins. I have never tried kw’s but have driven a few ohlin cars and always liked the feel. Unfortunately for me I have not driven a model 3 much maybe a mile tops, so I don’t have a baseline yet.

Man thanks for the reply!! I agree with what you are saying and I hope to get more input when you get your ohlins. I have never tried kw’s but have driven a few ohlin cars and always liked the feel. Unfortunately for me I have not driven a model 3 much maybe a mile tops, so I don’t have a baseline yet.
You'll get lots of passionate descriptions of both the Ohlins and the MPP / KW products with lots of claims from their respective fans. But you should really experience them both for yourselves. That is easier said than done in terms of the Ohlins because they are not out there in significant quantity while you can probably get a test ride in an MPP or KW modified car fairly quickly.

If you’re new to aftermarket suspensions, I’d honestly do the comfort non adjustable variant, unless you’re going to be tracking the car every month. the $ you save can be put toward other mods like wheels and tires, or camber arms that will be more beneficial than just having adjustable damping

Reactions: MountainPass
I recently installed the Redwood GTs on my 2019 DM LR, and am the one referred to in @tm1v2’s post above. Kit is absolutely awesome. Gave me the ride I wanted and a noticeable handling improvement. Wife’s approval alone was worth half the price. If anyone in the northern VA area (Winchester/Front Royal) is considering these, I’d be happy to give a test ride.

Reactions: tm1v2
How do the comforts compare on a 2022 Performance? I don't feel my car has a harsh ride. The rear end feels a little wobbly accelerating on turns though and it does feel there is a fair amount of suspension travel throughout when pushing it.

How do the comforts compare on a 2022 Performance? I don't feel my car has a harsh ride. The rear end feels a little wobbly accelerating on turns though and it does feel there is a fair amount of suspension travel throughout when pushing it.
It sounds like you might be more interested in tightening things up with the Sports kit. One of the first questions we ask when someone is trying to determine which kit is right for them is "how do you feel about the stock suspension?" If they say it feels harsh, go Comfort. If they say it feels mushy or out of control, go Sports.