Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well after reading this thread and going back and forth 1000 times I finally decided on going with the non adjustable Comforts.

I like the idea of the adjustability and even possibly the sport but honestly the price was a big factor for me. Allows me to spend some more money on some other mods like bearing and brakes. Possibly sway bars if I feel like I want it to plant more in corners.

This car is a daily driver for me and will likely never see a track. If I find myself wanting more I can always sell these at a later point and upgrade. I was intially just planning on dropping Eibach springs in them but after reading I’m quite confident these will be much much better than the Eibachs.

New wheels come in next week too! Gonna be a fun week for me!!

Reactions: MountainPass
I now have the adjustable comforts installed for two months and would like to share my experience. As many has said, this is a great suspension that that car should have come with!

I installed this together with the solid lower control arm bearings, new forged 19 inch wheels (Jova) and a new set of tires (crossclimate2). I went through a unique experience, as one of the customers that mountain pass sent the wrong nonadjustable version of the coilovers. This led to two phases of installation :), first just with one control arm bearing on the left and the new wheels and tires. Somehow these had already made the car drive with a night-and-day difference. It felt so much more nimble with much sharper turns, but of course the car was still floaty. Mountainpass was very responsive and sent the correct version immediately (great customer service). The coilover took away the floatiness but not having any harshness and the car felt, just great. It reminded me the feeling when I first got the car 3 years ago, like many said, it puts a big grin on your face every time you drive it, again. The only "drawback" is my safety score on the Tesla app is reduced to 93 due to "aggressive turning" (I don't track the car :)).

I did the recommended lowering. The car sits at a perfect stance now, see attached before-and-after picture.
20220201_183231-COLLAGE.jpg

One comment is that MountainPass should really emphasize in the installation guide the issue of putting lubricant on the springs. There was a thread on it. Since not many had mentioned it for a while so I did not pay much attention and put on some lubricant to make the height adjustment easier. This led to the infamous clunking sound when turning at the extreme. Luckily after flooding it with brake cleaner twice in 2 weeks and then driving for 2 months, it mostly went away.

Finally an issue/problem I hope some experienced people can help. I always hear a light clunking sound when driving at low speed (10 to 20 mph) and going over small cracks on the road. It almost gives the feeling that some screws are loose. However the sound is not obvious or any louder on big bumps or at high speed. I thought this may be related to the lubricant issue. But it did not get any better, maybe even slightly worse now. I'm going to take it back to the mechanics next week. Would appreciate any suggestions on what the problem may be.

Just to be clear (because I haven’t seen the lubricant thing mentioned yet) you’re saying DO NOT put any lubricant on it right? Gonna be installing mine next week so just want to make sure I avoid that issue.

Just to be clear (because I haven’t seen the lubricant thing mentioned yet) you’re saying DO NOT put any lubricant on it right? Gonna be installing mine next week so just want to make sure I avoid that issue.
Search for "MPP Comfort Coilover making ping sound when turning wheel" you will find the thread on this. I believe it was also mentioned somewhere in this thread. The spring " jumps" at where it meets the spring perch (in my case the spring perch jumps together with the spring even though the little lock screw was tightened) if lubricant was applied. It seems for most people this evenually goes away after washing it with break cleaner extensively.

We do our best to make sure people know, but funny enough, it is usually a mechanic who does either of these two things!

View attachment 765966
Yeah the problem is that many mechanics think their knowledge/experience trumps the instructions. I see this at the top of the installation guide. Perhaps make it a bigger font to increase awareness :)?

I did see my mechanics hand tightening the top hats. Please see below for two clips, one at low speed and one for higher speed on the same road. If you crank up volume you will hear the clunking sound at low speed but not the other. Maybe somewhere else is loosse?

Low speed:

High speed:

Last edited:
Yeah the problem is that many mechanics think their knowledge/experience trumps the instructions. I see this at the top of the installation guide. Perhaps make it a bigger font to increase awareness :)?

I did see my mechanics hand tightening the top hats. Please see below for two clips, one at low speed and one for higher speed on the same road. If you crank up volume you will hear the clunking sound at low speed but not the other. Maybe somewhere else is loosse?

Low speed:

High speed:

You could spell it out in a giant glitterbomb, and some mechanics just won't get it.

Never use grease on the springs. The proper procedure is to jack the vehicle up to take the load off the springs before making right height adjustments.

Is the clunking sound over low speeds at bumps or only when turning the wheel at full lock?

Reactions: yxm3 and dfwatt
You could spell it out in a giant glitterbomb, and some mechanics just won't get it.

Never use grease on the springs. The proper procedure is to jack the vehicle up to take the load off the springs before making right height adjustments.

Is the clunking sound over low speeds at bumps or only when turning the wheel at full lock?
Thanks for the reply. The clunking sound happens in slow speed, straight line without turning, and over small bumps like the usual cracks on the road. It does get any worse or even feel less obvious with large bumps.

Thanks for the reply. The clunking sound happens in slow speed, straight line without turning, and over small bumps like the usual cracks on the road. It does get any worse or even feel less obvious with large bumps.

Only two culprits would be the camber plate not torqued down correctly or there is play in the stack height of the coilover. If you installed upper control arms, make sure the ball joint where the shims are installed has the bolts torqued correctly, as well as the ball joint nut itself.

Reactions: yxm3
Only two culprits would be the camber plate not torqued down correctly or there is play in the stack height of the coilover. If you installed upper control arms, make sure the ball joint where the shims are installed has the bolts torqued correctly, as well as the ball joint nut itself.
It looks like I am no longer needed! ❤️

The usual culprit is the 2 nuts that hold the damper to the tophat like Tom said. Sometimes they need to be retorqued while the car is sitting at ride height rather than with the wheels in the air.

Reactions: yxm3 and tom @ eas
Thanks! I will ask the mechanic to check these. The upper control arms wee not touched. Did have the solid lower control arm bearings installed.

Reactions: tom @ eas