Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. The seller makes no such claims. MPP claims only a slight improvement in cornering.
This is why I need a ride. Help!

These are somewhat natural outcomes of lowering the center of gravity and picking up some negative camber on the tires due to the lowered suspension. It doesn’t make the M3 a race car able to handle rapid fire track corners but it does make a mid / fast sweeper feel really solid...

Here is my review of the MPP Comfort Coilovers...

I had the MPP comfort coilovers installed about three weeks ago by my local shop in Santa Barbara - HP Autosport. Harold @ HP is super knowledgeable and helpful and does great work.

I took delivery of my LR RWD in April 2018 on the gen-2 factory suspension. Ride quality and handling were decent, but the fender gaps were much higher than my liking for a sport sedan. I then had the T sportline lowering springs installed by HP Autosport last August. While the ride quality was generally better on slow compression bumps, it was much worse on fast compression bumps and divots, even lane line reflectors on the freeway were jarring. I also disliked how the fender gap was uneven front and rear making it look like there was extra weight in the trunk.

Earlier this year I decided that it was time to give up on the T sportline springs and go for a real coilovers setup. After reading a few of the reviews here, and overall being impressed with the work Mountainpass is doing, I decided on the comfort coilovers. While I’m sure the sport set is great, I don’t plan to track this car so the extra cost for adjustable compression/rebound didn’t seem necessary.

So, here are my thoughts and impressions of the MP comfort coilovers so far:

Ride quality
Definitely better than either stock or the T sportline springs. I find that the medium-speed compressions bumps are the smoothest, e.g. speed bumps. Slow compressions are good, as expected, and fast compressions (divots, cracks, reflectors) are stiff but significantly better than the T sportline springs.

Handling
Despite being more compliant, I have found the handling to be better overall. When taking a sharp turn under power, the T sportlines were nice and flat due to the progressive rear springs, but most other movements or hard turns were mediocre at best. At worst, a mid-turn bump would upset the handling and was quite unnerving. The MPP comforts might have slightly more body roll in fast power turns, but overall the handling is way more predictable, responsive, and generally easier to maneuver at speed.

Ride height
The ability to dial in ride height is the killer feature here. The specs recommended by MPP were a bit too low for my taste but they looked real slick :) I ended up taking the car back to HP to have them raised up a bit. After a few weeks of settling my final ride height is around 1.5” below stock and ground clearance is still a bit on the low side for my needs. There are lots of steep driveways here in SB and my wife gets quite uneasy when we bottom out. Ideally I'd like to bring the ride height up a second time but still debating whether it's worth the cost for another adjustment.

Ground-to-fender height:
26 7/8” front and rear

Battery pack ground clearance:
4” front
3 7/8” rear

(For comparison, here are the measurements I took on the stock suspension and also on the T Sportline springs.)

Summary
Overall I am very happy with the MPP comfort coilovers. As MPP claims, I would characterize them as the ideal street sportscar suspension, which strikes the right balance between handling and comfort for a daily-driven sports car. If I had to nit-pick, I would like to see slightly softer response on fast-compression bumps and divots, and slightly stiffer overall handling, but it really is 95% perfect so I’m talking about minor improvements here. Also, Harold mentioned the MPP kit was significantly lighter than the stock part so you save a good amount of unsprung weight with this kit.

I should probably note that I am on stock 19” sport wheels and factory continental tires. I also installed spacers of 15mm front and 20mm rear back in August when i had the T sportlines installed. I’m not 100% sure how spacers change the physics of suspensions but that could be be affecting my experience somewhat. @MountainPass I would love any insights you can share on this point.

I have attached some photos of the final setup. Overall I’m very happy with the setup and enjoying my Model 3 even more than before. Kudos to MPP for a great suspension and HP Autosport for a great install.

1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg 5.jpeg 6.jpeg

@dgaultiere thank you for the detailed review! We tried very hard to get them perfect for everyone. As for wheel spacers, space away! The response you are speaking of on the high-speed bumps is, unfortunately, necessary to prevent bottoming out the suspension. We could have been a bit too cautious there, but we don't want anyone damaging their battery, better safe than sorry!

• Informative
Reactions: dgaultiere and zhu-
Ideally I'd like to bring the ride height up a second time but still debating whether it's worth the cost for another adjustment.

Noob question here, but I thought these were DIY adjustable at home?

@MountainPass I'm also interested in either the comfort or sport if needed. Does the comfort suspension get stiffer the more I lower it or is that not the case? I'd like for there to be less body roll and also for the car to not dip as much on acceleration. Would you suggest comfort or sport? Thanks!

Noob question here, but I thought these were DIY adjustable at home?

@MountainPass I'm also interested in either the comfort or sport if needed. Does the comfort suspension get stiffer the more I lower it or is that not the case? I'd like for there to be less body roll and also for the car to not dip as much on acceleration. Would you suggest comfort or sport? Thanks!

They are DIY'able at home if you have the tools to remove a wheel!

Thanks for the detailed review guys. I'm wondering if you could help me with a question.

Houston area roads are mostly concrete slab. Meaning they have a ton of seams and each slab moves a bit compared to the next. In my experience with my Model 3 AWD, this results in a "bobbing" motion or a "jiggle", as I can best describe it. It feels like the springs are stiff and the car is very "bouncy" over just undulations.

Over actual bumps, broken pavement, railroad tracks, potholes, the car is still pretty compliant. But when driving straight and level, the car bounces a lot. You can see it in this video. Watch how the car's frame continually bounces up and down, like a handheld camera.

I REALLY want to get rid of this behavior. It drives me nuts. I have played with tire pressures to no end and gotten it to somewhat tolerable. To me it feels like the spring rate is mis-matched front to rear since it's a "hobby horse" motion, yet overall compliance is good. I've played with the pressures making the front higher, the rear higher and balcned and right now am running the rears 2 psi higher than the fronts and it's the best it's been but still get the above.

I'm wondering if the comfort coilovers could help? Thanks.