Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP hopes for rear rotor kit too

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same size as the non-sport rear rotors I’m guessing. A full front and rear set would be awesome for anyone planning to track. Just thought I’d pass this along.

MPP 2 Piece Rear Rotor Upgrade PRE-ORDER

I worry about using these on any track other than a drag strip as MPP has this recommendation, in italics, “This upgrade is recommended for street/autocross use only. For track use, please refer to our Page Mill 365mm Big Brake Kit.“ I’ve been looking for 18” wheels that work with MPPs big brake kit (365 mm rotors) or the Tesla big brakes.

Keep in mind that the quoted $200 price is for the deposit only... the final price is $1050 :cool:

upload_2018-8-1_20-19-40.png

Yeah. These are for the rear, and they do have a 320 OEM size replacement for the front pending as well. Those will definitely be for lighter duty fun.

On their test M3, they have 18" ADVANs that fit over the 365.

Thanks! I thought they were running 19” wheels over the big brakes, but if they found some 18” that fit, I’ll be a happy camper. I’m a little confused by the 320 rotors MPP is offering. The description of the issues with the stock rotors at MPP argues against the 320s. Here it is:
“During our testing in California we overheated the Model 3’s brakes while enjoying a spirited drive downhill on Page Mill Rd – almost completely losing braking power! For that reason we’ve named this brake kit the Page Mill Rd BBK! We are excited and proud to announce this kit for the Tesla Model 3. This BBK upgrades the rotor size from the OE’s tiny 320mm to 365mm, and the thickness goes up from 25mm to 26mm – a MASSIVE difference in rotor size! As a result the thermal ceiling, even on stock brake pads goes up massively.

As we all know the Model 3 struggles with braking performance – the main source of the problem being overheating the front pads. Larger rotors are able to dissipate much more heat, and that is why large rotors are found on just about every sports car in the world. No matter what kind of brake pad you put on – you still need a way to shed heat. It is almost more important when using a street friendly brake pad to have a large rotor, as you want that rotor to run at the lowest possible temperature to keep from overheating the mild pad.”

Thanks! I thought they were running 19” wheels over the big brakes, but if they found some 18” that fit, I’ll be a happy camper. I’m a little confused by the 320 rotors MPP is offering. The description of the issues with the stock rotors at MPP argues against the 320s. Here it is:
“During our testing in California we overheated the Model 3’s brakes while enjoying a spirited drive downhill on Page Mill Rd – almost completely losing braking power! For that reason we’ve named this brake kit the Page Mill Rd BBK! We are excited and proud to announce this kit for the Tesla Model 3. This BBK upgrades the rotor size from the OE’s tiny 320mm to 365mm, and the thickness goes up from 25mm to 26mm – a MASSIVE difference in rotor size! As a result the thermal ceiling, even on stock brake pads goes up massively.

As we all know the Model 3 struggles with braking performance – the main source of the problem being overheating the front pads. Larger rotors are able to dissipate much more heat, and that is why large rotors are found on just about every sports car in the world. No matter what kind of brake pad you put on – you still need a way to shed heat. It is almost more important when using a street friendly brake pad to have a large rotor, as you want that rotor to run at the lowest possible temperature to keep from overheating the mild pad.”

Unless it’s a typo, which is possible, those ADVANs are 18s. Great wheels, but pricey.

Interesting proposition. It is safe, from a braking proportion front to rear, to upgrade the rear brakes with better 320s and go big brakes in the front?

Yup. Just about every performance car out there has larger front brakes. Under heavy braking, the car’s weight is shifted to the front. Bigger brakes/pads are needed because of this.

Yup. Just about every performance car out there has larger front brakes. Under heavy braking, the car’s weight is shifted to the front. Bigger brakes/pads are needed because of this.

Agreed but Tesla, with it's huge rear brakes relative to its front brakes, may have the percentage of front to rear braking pressure set up for the specific brakes on the car. If you change the size proportion of the front to rear rotors, is that still safe? If the front to rear brake pressure is computer controlled or adjustable, one might think so, but I'm not sure. Where's our resident brake expert when we need him...

Last edited:
Reactions: TheLocNar
I worry about using these on any track other than a drag strip as MPP has this recommendation, in italics, “This upgrade is recommended for street/autocross use only. For track use, please refer to our Page Mill 365mm Big Brake Kit.“ I’ve been looking for 18” wheels that work with MPPs big brake kit (365 mm rotors) or the Tesla big brakes.

Obviously the bigger 365mm rotor has more heat dissipation capacity but 320mm should do fine IMO. There is many performance oriented cars that come with about that size of rotors, like the old EVO, WRX's etc. On the track events that I have attended we only got 7-5 laps max per session depending on the traffic, track etc.

And some people have done track events with just upgraded pads with the model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA