Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor MPP Model 3 Build Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MountainPass

Global Vendor
Mar 2, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Listings
Now I'll start by saying I can't STAND when people post a "build thread" when all they are doing are installing wheels and a lowering kit. I can assure you all this will be a real build thread! We will share our development, ups, downs, lessons learned, data collected and prototype parts being developed - right here.

And what better way to start this thread than with our delivery date! We are located in Toronto, Canada, and I am over the moon to announce that we will be getting in on the first batch of Canadian cars, picking up our Pearl White Model 3 on May 30th. Interestingly this car has the exact same spec as the car we rented for 10 days to do development work on in California!

IMG_20180316_162545 (Large).jpg

As most of you know we've already developed coilovers and rear suspension arms, and have more parts currently being produced. Now having a car in-house will make development and testing much faster, not to mention all of the great content we'll be able to produce with this groundbreaking car!

Just about as soon as we get the car the plan is to attend GridLife, a grassroots motorsport festival, taking place June 7-10th, at Gingerman Raceway where we hope to have both our M3 and Blue Lightning.

So in preparation of that I've ordered a set of Advan RZII's in 19x9 +35 and 19x10 +35. These wheels come with a 13mm hole bore only, so we'll need to drill them to 15mm to allow the OEM Tesla 14mm studs to pass through. Be careful when shopping for wheels - make sure they will work with M14 studs!

These wheels are for track use. Coming from a background of tuning Japanese vehicles, we wanted to pay homage to classic wheel designs, and there aren't many better wheels these Advan's to do that with!

EDIT: Changed the order to RGIII's 19x9 +25 and 19x10 +35... sure hope we can fit these fronts! New picture below of a White M3 with the RGIII's photoshopped on there.

White_M3_RGIII.jpg

Our current plan before Grid Life is as follows:

Corner weigh the car as delivered, untouched.

Install Motec M1 ECU and connect to CAN bus

Baseline efficiency test: 18" Wheels with Aerocaps vs without vs Advan wheels and sports tires. We expect a significant loss of range with the Advan's and sport tires - more on that later.

Install prototype brake-upgrade kit, prototype pads and racing brake fluid

Install our coilovers

Install our suspension arms

Install Advan wheels, with custom hub-centering rings.

The above should get us to a point where the car can comfortably complete multiple laps on the track without performance fade, while at the same time retaining 100% of its road manners. We can't stress enough about how important comfort is to us.

This car MUST be as comfortable as an OEM BMW M3/M4 in all aspects. No matter how that limits our performance on track. So please don't read into what we're doing as it being only for track-oriented driving or racing. All of the development we do is to improve the performance while retaining the driving enjoyment.

That is far more difficult than just making a fast car around a racetrack, but the Model 3 has so much potential I just can't wait until the lap times start speaking for themselves.

Attachments

• 16228348933_c7d6866c92_b.jpg
    16228348933_c7d6866c92_b.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
I went to creep on my car yesterday with Blue Lightning, there are a ton of Model 3's in Toronto where they are preparing for delivery. Made for a pretty cool photo op. Look at all those Model 3's! The security guards were blown away when I told them the Lotus has a Tesla motor inside of it :)

Five days until we pickup our car, and then GridLife is only a couple weeks after that! The Advan's are shipping out today, our brake supplier is trying to get a set of our rotors ready in time, and we're trying to get our rear control arms back in stock in time so that we can have them on the car and aligned before the event!

IMG_20180524_161330.jpg
IMG_20180524_161502.jpg
IMG_20180524_161531.jpg

Looking forward to your build.

I'm curious about this Motec and how you will be installing it into the CAN bus. I believe on the 3 you worked on before you just used it for monitoring your suspension components, correct? How will you be connecting it to the 3's CAN bus and what information will you be able to obtain?

Reactions: tracksyde
@Blu Angel - Thanks Dom! We're pushing the suspension manufacturer as hard as we can. Bodies are being machined now and then it's just assembly and slow shipping from Germany... Before the end of July we should have a set in your hands :)

@GregRF - We did a fair bit of CAN capturing with the car while we were down there and have decoded a lot of the common messages. There are some similarities to the Model S so we were able to get a head start on that a little bit. We had both analog signal coming from the M1 (shock pots, accelerometer, GPS), as well as a number of CAN signals.

With custom firmware we're able to enter our setup data into the data in real-time, so things like alignment settings, corner weights, spring rates, damper valving are all in the data for real-time and post run analysis.

Pic attached of some roll couple analysis we were doing at different valving. If you look at the Front and Rear roll you'll see how closely they are coupled at the current spring rates we're using... the balance is really good and the response is laser fast. Sometimes it seems like the car is pointed before you've turned the steering wheel!

Model3_RollCouple.jpg

Now I'll start by saying I can't STAND when people post a "build thread" when all they are doing are installing wheels and a lowering kit. I can assure you all this will be a real build thread! We will share our development, ups, downs, lessons learned, data collected and prototype parts being developed - right here.

And what better way to start this thread than with our delivery date! We are located in Toronto, Canada, and I am over the moon to announce that we will be getting in on the first batch of Canadian cars, picking up our Pearl White Model 3 on May 30th. Interestingly this car has the exact same spec as the car we rented for 10 days to do development work on in California!

View attachment 302364

As most of you know we've already developed coilovers and rear suspension arms, and have more parts currently being produced. Now having a car in-house will make development and testing much faster, not to mention all of the great content we'll be able to produce with this groundbreaking car!

Just about as soon as we get the car the plan is to attend GridLife, a grassroots motorsport festival, taking place June 7-10th, at Gingerman Raceway where we hope to have both our M3 and Blue Lightning.

So in preparation of that I've ordered a set of Advan RZII's in 19x9 +35 and 19x10 +35. These wheels come with a 13mm hole bore only, so we'll need to drill them to 15mm to allow the OEM Tesla 14mm studs to pass through. Be careful when shopping for wheels - make sure they will work with M14 studs!

These wheels are for track use. Coming from a background of tuning Japanese vehicles, we wanted to pay homage to classic wheel designs, and there aren't many better wheels these Advan's to do that with!

EDIT: Changed the order to RGIII's 19x9 +25 and 19x10 +35... sure hope we can fit these fronts! New picture below of a White M3 with the RGIII's photoshopped on there.

View attachment 304194

Our current plan before Grid Life is as follows:

Corner weigh the car as delivered, untouched.

Baseline efficiency test: 18" Wheels with Aerocaps vs without vs Advan wheels and sports tires. We expect a significant loss of range with the Advan's and sport tires - more on that later.

Install prototype brake-upgrade kit, prototype pads and racing brake fluid

Install our coilovers

Install our suspension arms

Install Advan wheels, with custom hub-centering rings.

The above should get us to a point where the car can comfortably complete multiple laps on the track without performance fade, while at the same time retaining 100% of its road manners. We can't stress enough about how important comfort is to us.

This car MUST be as comfortable as an OEM BMW M3/M4 in all aspects. No matter how that limits our performance on track. So please don't read into what we're doing as it being only for track-oriented driving or racing. All of the development we do is to improve the performance while retaining the driving enjoyment.

That is far more difficult than just making a fast car around a racetrack, but the Model 3 has so much potential I just can't wait until the lap times start speaking for themselves.

I like your color choice, the Pearl White looks the best to me, looking forward to your delivery and development of this thread!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MountainPass
@GregRF - We did a fair bit of CAN capturing with the car while we were down there and have decoded a lot of the common messages. There are some similarities to the Model S so we were able to get a head start on that a little bit. We had both analog signal coming from the M1 (shock pots, accelerometer, GPS), as well as a number of CAN signals.

How are you tying into the CAN bus on the 3?

Just wondering, why do you want to install a Motec? Just to look at data?

Mostly to look at data and model the car yes, nothing we can "control" on the car right now anyways. Perhaps in the future we can implement some kind of more advanced traction control and de-activate the factory traction and stability control.

I personally have found the OEM stability control to be too intrusive, but I have a pretty loose and silly driving style at the limit. If you drive the car smoothly, or if you're a novice driver (and by novice I mean someone that hasn't done some form of medium to high level competitive racing), the factory stabi is quite good. Not nearly as restrictive as many other cars I've driven.

Well yesterday was the day. We were one of the first to receive an M3 at the International Centre in Toronto - yesterday was the first day of deliveries there! There have been a few delivered at normal service centers, but the big push is happening now over the next month or so.

Model 3 Pickup.jpg

The car is incredible. The build quality has improved so much compared to the early test car we had in California. The main difference I noticed was the interior noise. We removed a number of panels to add our Motec datalogger and there is insulation all over the place that was not there on the early build cars. It really feels like a BMW/Audi inside now.

IMG_20180531_101842.jpg

Yesterday we took the car straight from the delivery centre to the dyno, and ran the motor at 80% SOC. We tried a few tricks to get it to run on the dyno, but ultimately it was unplugging a front wheel speed sensor that allowed it to work. Here's a link to the entire delivery experience and dyno from yesterday:

Model 3 Dyno.jpg

And here is the dyno graph. Not enough torque to max out our dyno like Blue Lightning :) A decent bit of power for such a sedan for sure. Far more power than it is rated at!

Model-3-Brand-New-Dyno.jpg

And then today we installed our Motec M150 data analysis system and performed a number of baseline efficiency tests, put the car on the scales and we also charged it up to 100% and did some 0-60 acceleration tests. I'll post more detailed results shortly but here are the numbers of interest:

Weight: 3800lbs
0-60: 5.03 seconds with 12" rollout (it sounds like the power has been reduced from earlier firmware versions)

And then we installed our coilovers! I'm off to be a design judge at a FSAE (Formula SAE, these are university built racecars) competition tomorrow, where I'll be judging the electric builds. There were some really impressive builds last year and I'm interested to see what these bright minds have come up with this year.

Sunday we'll be flushing the brake fluid with some racing fluid, corner balancing and fine tuning the ride height, aligning the car and installing some of our suspension arms.

The Advan wheels are on the way and are looking like a Monday delivery, tires are ordered, the first production big brake upgrade components will hopefully arrive on Wednesday and the GridLife entry has been confirmed! We leave on Thursday for Michigan with both cars.

IMG_20180531_173752.jpg

Wow awesome I am surprised that the car weighted 3800lbs... It seems that Tesla might have taken some weight off compared to what Motor Trend measured: 3900lbs and other 3830-3850lbs.

Just curious what is the logging rate of the Motec. Is it accurate for 0-60mph measurements? it seems that (GPS 10hz-20hz) measurements are the standard for car reviewers.

335whp is amazing. What is the estimated drivetrain loss of the model 3?

@juanmedina - I will get photos from Bryson of the exact corner weights. He told me 2800, but I'm sure he was just rounding that number now that I think about it.

@pandam3 - Will do! We are looking at less than 7 weeks for delivery so they are coming very soon!

@FlyNavy01 - Thank you. Yes there is nothing worse than people who don't understand how to dyno an electric vehicle and post up dyno graphs that make absolutely no sense.

Maybe we'll have to tune on a Performance model sooner than later!