Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor MPP Model 3 Build Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what the total weight gain from the AWD setup would be. 200lbs? Also I assume power would be same to rear motor. I figured the front motor would just be for efficiency and the rear for speed. Makes me believe that on the track most of the time the car would behave like rwd which would make it silly to have AWD for tracking(not talking performance version here) as you would just be lugging around all that weight for nothing. I guess I will just b on the fence for a little while until we know more.
200lbs sounds about right. All indications are that the AWD will have the same rear motor ad RWD. The thing is it's only 10% quicker than the RWD so either they're lowering the power to the rear or the front motor is only 10% of the power of the rear. I guess they could have raised the rear gear ratio to increase efficiency with less power at low speeds. That would actually give you more power at high speeds.
The front motor is induction which is less efficient than the permanent magnet rear motor.

200lbs sounds about right. All indications are that the AWD will have the same rear motor ad RWD. The thing is it's only 10% quicker than the RWD so either they're lowering the power to the rear or the front motor is only 10% of the power of the rear. I guess they could have raised the rear gear ratio to increase efficiency with less power at low speeds. That would actually give you more power at high speeds.
The front motor is induction which is less efficient than the permanent magnet rear motor.

Daniel in SD Do you do any autocross or road course tracking? By the look of your avatar you do in a NB Miata. Such great little cars.

Daniel in SD Do you do any autocross or road course tracking? By the look of your avatar you do in a NB Miata. Such great little cars.
I autocross a bit. I might take a Model 3 out if I ever get one (waiting on AWD). That Miata in the avatar is now an Exocet:
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
I bought it at a salvage auction and only drove it once before I took it apart. The Exocet is way faster :D

I autocross a bit. I might take a Model 3 out if I ever get one (waiting on AWD). That Miata in the avatar is now an Exocet:
View attachment 310546View attachment 310546
I bought it at a salvage auction and only drove it once before I took it apart. The Exocet is way faster :D
Those are bad ass. Funny enough was aty parents house this last weekend and they have an old grass root Motorsports mag kicking around that has a whole article on exocets builds.

Love the exocet!

We just went to the track to do some A/B testing, I will share more details when I have a moment but basically:

Totally stock other than DS2500 front pads and RBF660 fluid on the 18" wheels: 1:29.3 (LOL)
Swap to Advan Wheels / RE71R Tires: 1:24.2
MPP Coilovers, Suspension Arms, Big Brake Kit, Stability Control Disabled, Advan/RE71R: 1:21.7

And then a monsoon came. I didn't get to drive the car myself, this was all with Dave Pratte from Speed Academy testing our car. Hopefully I'll be able to get back out there soon and see if a 1:20 is possible! I think it should be as I was in the passenger seat with Dave the entire time.

Needless to say the car was basically un-driveable on the racetrack with the 18's (those Michelin's are awesome for rolling resistance though!), had tons of body roll and understeer with just the Advan wheels, and RE71R tires.

Dave really enjoyed the car with our parts on it though, the platform was just so composed and it really highlighted how great the Model 3 chassis is. With more front camber, setup work and some more laps I think a 1:19 is possible... for reference my Nissan 350z racecar used to do 18's before it had aero on used slicks...

I can't wait for you all to see the video. Should be out in a couple of weeks.

Speed Academy on Instagram: “The future of electric car tuning. We’re testing the @mountainpassperformance @teslamotors Model 3 at @tmpcayuga equipped with…”

Nice results! Have you taken a look to see if you can squeeze 265 width tires on the front?
A Model 3 owner in Hawaii fit 265/40/18 on all four corners, so it is possible.

Model 3 Aftermarket Wheel Fitment - NA only

I've got a 275/245 staggered setup waiting in my garage for when my car arrives. Will wait to see how bad the understeer is on the P model, but I suspect I might regret not just going 265/35/19 all around.

@Daniel in SD - I haven't tried putting a rear 10" on the front yet, I was thinking about that a lot yesterday though. A 10" +35 will stick out about 3mm more than my 9" +25, so with some more camber I think it would be very possible.

I'll likely test fit them some time this week and if I can make it work, I'll order 2 more Advan's in the 10" width. They will be coming from Japan so I'll likely be waiting some time for them to come in! I think that would be worth ~0.5 seconds at our local track though. The RE71R seems to be overloaded in my opinion.

I'm super proud to announce we just took the first win for the Tesla Model 3 in competition worldwide! We ran a Time Attack event with the Model 3 yesterday. It was a super last minute decision but it ended up working in our favor as it was wet all day, and the Model 3 is fantastic in the rain. Our competition was a Porsche Boxter (new), Honda S2000's, and we also beat most every other car on the track, but since the conditions were constantly changing it's only fair to compare to cars that are on the track at the same time.

I'll post some video shortly, but there was a lot of sliding around in the wet, this track is one of the lowest grip tracks in the rain I've ever driven on. It is honestly comparable to ice! The in-car video with an electric car makes it seem like I'm on a cool down lap.. and then you see the car start to slide. To many it will look like the car is broken!

IMG_20180624_181206.jpg

Quick video of a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dakLnkgquGcCGCvR6

I'll post more media when I get some good photos. Hopefully I'll get to try it out in the dry soon :)

And the wind turbines in the background are the coolest part about racing an electric car at this track!

Awesome build. Just read through this whole threads. I especially like the part where you state that this must have M3/M4 levels of comfort. That really hits home for me coming from that world of cars.

I know you are partnering with KW for the coils. I wonder if Ohlins would consider making a kit with your help as well? They have been making some pretty nice stuff that can be dual purpose street/track these days. Just a thought!

Keep up the awesome work!

Think the factor in the efficiency loss is more so the sticky tires? Or the width?

Really like the stance with those wheels:)

Damn... wanted to keep my BMW M3 for weekend track days and use my Tesla M3 for weekday commute... this is makes me wonder why keep my BMW M3? Excuse me while I let my BMW M3 engine rev it’s 8 cylinders to 8k rpm to try and convince me to keep it... lol.
I’m in the same exact situation. I thought I was going to keep the BMW M3 as a track and canyon toy.

But the more info that keeps coming out of this car and how capable it is. I think I’m pretty much going to sell the ///M at this point. Plus in California I can only see it being harder and harder to own a modded gasoline car. I will miss the sound though!

This is one of my favorite threads to follow. Even Elon retweeted your win!

I just might have to eventually order your coilovers (assuming you will be developing them for the AWD/Performance variants as well). Can't wait to see more.

Last edited:
Here's a video of one of the fast laps from the Time Attack event. You can see just how slippery it is on this track in the rain! So much fun though, extremely challenging and the Model 3 just loves sliding around searching for grip!

And the music isn't edited in, that's what I was blasting while racing. Haha.

Sting for the win! (trying to avoid the pun about the pain of winning)

@Victor3 - Great graph! That is from GridLife, the first time attack event we did. At that event I didn't know the track and I don't think I got everything possible out of the car. I would say a mid 1:41 should be possible. But you can see how the Model 3 is surrounded by sports cars (remember these cars are all also heavily modified to take full advantage of the rules) - so it's a little bit out of place which makes it so fun and cool when it does well!

@Brian N - Comments like that make me so happy. Convincing people that the Model 3 can be as fun and exhilarating as an M3 is exactly our goal. The chassis on this car is just so good, there is so much potential. I think going as fast as we are in only 3 weeks is proof of that potential.

@FlyNavy01 - So cool! I didn't know Elon re-tweeted that until I read your post, that made my day! So cool. We will be developing AWD dampers absolutely. I think the performance car is really going to need them if it comes with the same suspension as the standard LR RWD.

@pandam3 - These decisions are so tough!

Reactions: Yuri_G and SD_Engnr