Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP now has rear subframe inserts:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an infiniti that had a lot of movement similar to what is seen in this video:
at the 1:10 mark.

I took video using an endoscope of the front and rear bushings while driving my M3P and I have to say there is very limited movement in the bushings. The only movement that could be seen was under hard acceleration and even then it was very limited. Not sure I would want to add inserts that would most certainly void the warranty on the rear drive train.

Very interesting stuff here.

I can say firsthand that the stiffness of OE rubber mounts can vary greatly, they're not all soft. My last ICE car had lots of truly soft mounts from the factory, and the automaker themselves had a whole catalog of upgrade parts. Many of the mounts were just stiffer rubber that looked IDENTICAL to the soft factory parts, save for the part number. They weren't identical though! I upgraded all the drivetrain mounts with the stiffer rubber and it made a big, obvious difference. Felt awesome, stiffened up the shifting, handling, and even made the engine sound meaner.

The stiffer rubber wasn't racecar stiff, the automaker offered even stiffer, mostly solid mounts for that. The stiffer rubber I went with was a nice compromise for a daily driver though. For street driving, even aggressive canyon carving, they felt great. On the racetrack I could certainly tell there was still movement of the drivetrain, I could feel the tranny moving especially for shifts like 2->3 (regular shift pattern, not dogleg). It was much better than with the original soft mounts though where I could barely find 3rd gear!

For that car I got rear subframe inserts analogous to these. Installed along with other mount and bushing upgrades at the same time so I can't say what effect they had individually, but the cumulative effect was great, really tightened up the car's feel and responses.

It's helpful to know that the M3P factory subframe rubber is pretty stiff already. I'm not tracking my M3P so I really don't "need" these inserts...but that didn't stop me from some other mount and bushing upgrades that I certainly didn't "need"...okay okay control arms first!

I’ve had these inserts installed for a little over 400 miles
There is a slight increase in NVH but it’s not major as MPP pointed out

The best is when taking a corner and I don’t wonder where the rear wheels are anymore after turn-in! Coupled with the rear spring arms and rebound turned up a few notches it’s a blast

For every day driving, I find that at highway speeds there’s no more wander in the back anymore when changing lanes rapidly

@enigmata Thanks that's really helpful. What control arm and other bushing or mount upgrades do you have? Did you install these inserts alongside anything else or by themselves?
I already have MPP front upper control arms, lower control arm bushings, compression rod bearings, rear spring arms, comfort adjustable coilovers, rear camber, trailing and traction arms on the car.

For me the inserts were the latest addition to my car. Well, I changed wheels at the same time too. Haha

Definitely agree with MPP sentiment to get some of the control arms done first!

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
I already have everything from MPP and additional rear wing to push down the rear with 275 wheels and proper wheel alignment.

But rear is still not planted at high speed. It feels like start of massive rear slide from small road disturbance. It's just downright scary if you at speed limiter.

I suspect that it's more subframe movements from bumps rather than actual wheels slip. And too soft seat is not helping it either. You can actually move the subframe with hands when car is on the lift.

Btw, there is still bunch of rubber in the rear unaddressed, but I'm not qualified enough to know if that can be a culprit.