Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MR Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I'm not mistaken, when Tesla has made similar changes in the past (like discontinuing the silver paint and the LR RWD configuration -- although the latter's now returned), Tesla has fulfilled existing orders on the discontinued configuration. In fact, they've sometimes given a week or so of notice to enable customers to buy a soon-to-be-discontinued configuration while they still can. Thus, if I had to bet, I'd say that Tesla will build enough MRs to deliver them for current orders, but then stop. OTOH, maybe their costs or logistics means existing orders will be cancelled (cue cries of foul play) or upgraded to LR for free, but my guess is those things won't happen.

If I'm not mistaken, when Tesla has made similar changes in the past (like discontinuing the silver paint and the LR RWD configuration -- although the latter's now returned), Tesla has fulfilled existing orders on the discontinued configuration. In fact, they've sometimes given a week or so of notice to enable customers to buy a soon-to-be-discontinued configuration while they still can. Thus, if I had to bet, I'd say that Tesla will build enough MRs to deliver them for current orders, but then stop. OTOH, maybe their costs or logistics means existing orders will be cancelled (cue cries of foul play) or upgraded to LR for free, but my guess is those things won't happen.

Makes sense. I'm hopeful for the in the upgrade to LR for free category.

I was planning on buying a MR soon. Now it's gone. I'm curious to know if I can call up and see if they will upgrade me to the LR for free, since I am a Day 1 reservation holder who has given them a $1000 interest free loan for 3 years. I'm not good at demanding free *sugar*, it's not my style, but the fact that they didn't give us any notice about removing the MR really feels crappy.

I'm trying to buy a house right now, so I've been stuck in limbo waiting to get the house first. But after the removal of the MR today, I alerted my mortgage loan officer to see if she can change the numbers around to see if I still qualify for the same mortgage loan if I were to get the car FIRST. If so, I'll be calling Tesla this week.

I'm curious to know if I can call up and see if they will upgrade me to the LR for free, since I am a Day 1 reservation holder who has given them a $1000 interest free loan for 3 years.

I highly highly doubt that. Considering how I've heard about Tesla offering some people 2018 demo vehicles even though they're ordered in 2019 without discounts. its unlikely they'd give a free upgrade. Definitely hope you do tho.

I highly highly doubt that. Considering how I've heard about Tesla offering some people 2018 demo vehicles even though they're ordered in 2019 without discounts. its unlikely they'd give a free upgrade. Definitely hope you do tho.

I've seen some people on FB who have said they've been offered discounts or upgrades, but I am not good at demanding or being stern with people. lol. I'm too much of a pushover, so I'm not feeling great about my chances. But I guess I'll try!

I was a day 1 reservation holder nearly 3 years ago, but I canceled my spot because I wanted to get my wife a better car than she had at the time sooner. She's been in a car she loves for 1.5 years now, but I recently started thinking about a Model 3 (please stop calling it an M3 - this is not a BMW!) when the $35k version was available to order. I daily drive a lifted and built Toyota Land Cruiser that gets 12-14 mpg, so I was thinking a relatively inexpensive commuter would make sense especially considering my commute is stop and go traffic.

I got really serious about ordering a car last weekend when I test drove a Model 3 and though a SR+ made the most sense overall. Then I started thinking about the premium interior with rear heated seats, live traffic, upgraded sound, better range, etc. and figured for the price bump over SR+ it made more sense to spring for it. I had configured it last night MR, black/black/aero/AP and was going to finalize it when we left to go to dinner. I figured I'd just place it today before the price bump tomorrow (3/18/19 for those reading this in the future), and of course when I went to do it this morning the freaking thing was gone!

I went into a store near closing time around 5:30pm tonight, and there were no local cars in inventory nor were there many available nationwide. The sales guy found 2 that fit my MR spec, but they are both at the gigafactory now. I'm in Denver, CO and apparently these cars aren't available for Denver delivery - he mentioned either picking up at the factory or in Vegas. I have connections at a couple airlines and can fly for free, but I'm just concerned about the time and of course adding 1k miles off the bat to bring it home. I went ahead with the order, and apparently the car is already built (he said it has 9 miles on it). Anyways, kinda rambling now but I'll learn more tomorrow when we chat further, and I'll update in this thread accordingly. Should be nice to offset the consumption of dino juice guzzler a little, which won't be going away as we use it a lot for exploring off road and long trips.

Posted this in another thread, but it’s probably more relavent here:

I was a day 1 reservation holder nearly 3 years ago, but I canceled my spot because I wanted to get my wife a better car than she had at the time sooner. She's been in a car she loves for 1.5 years now, but I recently started thinking about a Model 3 (please stop calling it an M3 - this is not a BMW!) when the $35k version was available to order. I daily drive a lifted and built Toyota Land Cruiser that gets 12-14 mpg, so I was thinking a relatively inexpensive commuter would make sense especially considering my commute is stop and go traffic.

I got really serious about ordering a car last weekend when I test drove a Model 3 and though a SR+ made the most sense overall. Then I started thinking about the premium interior with rear heated seats, live traffic, upgraded sound, better range, etc. and figured for the price bump over SR+ it made more sense to spring for it. I had configured it last night MR, black/black/aero/AP and was going to finalize it when we left to go to dinner. I figured I'd just place it today before the price bump tomorrow (3/18/19 for those reading this in the future), and of course when I went to do it this morning the freaking thing was gone!

I went into a store near closing time around 5:30pm tonight, and there were no local cars in inventory nor were there many available nationwide. The sales guy found 2 that fit my MR spec, but they are both at the gigafactory now. I'm in Denver, CO and apparently these cars aren't available for Denver delivery - he mentioned either picking up at the factory or in Vegas. I have connections at a couple airlines and can fly for free, but I'm just concerned about the time and of course adding 1k miles off the bat to bring it home. I went ahead with the order, and apparently the car is already built (he said it has 9 miles on it). Anyways, kinda rambling now but I'll learn more tomorrow when we chat further, and I'll update in this thread accordingly. Should be nice to offset the consumption of dino juice guzzler a little, which won't be going away as we use it a lot for exploring off road and long trips.

My order for a MR midnight silver / black interior / 18" wheels seems stuck. I matched to a 2018 VIN on Saturday, but on the advice of others, I asked to be matched to a 2019 VIN instead. I called up just now and I'm still not matched. After researching 2018 v 2019, I'm thinking I might want to remove the request to be matched to a 2019. Perhaps 2019 has low or no inventory. I know Tesla doesn't care about model years, and I tend to keep cars for a very long time (replacing a 2005), so the exact model year shouldn't matter. Anyone have any advice for me?

Placed a MR order on Thursday night (3/15) rather than wait for the weekend like was originally planned. Seeing it dropped from the order page made me happy I pulled the trigger on Thursday.

Hopefully they still deliver the MR or give a free upgrade to LR.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
My order for a MR midnight silver / black interior / 18" wheels seems stuck. I matched to a 2018 VIN on Saturday, but on the advice of others, I asked to be matched to a 2019 VIN instead. I called up just now and I'm still not matched. After researching 2018 v 2019, I'm thinking I might want to remove the request to be matched to a 2019. Perhaps 2019 has low or no inventory. I know Tesla doesn't care about model years, and I tend to keep cars for a very long time (replacing a 2005), so the exact model year shouldn't matter. Anyone have any advice for me?

Sorry no advice here. I'm just as indecisive as you are. I got matched to a 2018. We had to schedule delivery around a vacation. At one point I was told if I can't take it by a certain date, they have to release my car to someone else and then re-match me. I was a bit tempted to delay it so that maybe I could get matched to a 2019? We got a discount on the 2018 and they said if I'm re-matched the price would stay the same. It was tempting, but I don't want to risk it. There are also rumors that some 2018 cars still have EAP (instead of AP)..I haven't followed that thread closely enough to see if that is true or not). Also one of the delivery people I talked to assured me that I am not getting a rejected 2018 car. He gave me the whole history - car was made on new year's eve and was matched to someone else for 1 minute, but then it was unmatched because they found a closer car. So then I felt like I should stick with the 2018. What if the 2019 i get re-matched to is a reject?
Like you, we keep our cars for a very long time. (Except for our 3 year old Prius we just sold so that we can get the MR :D ).

Ugh. I just got off the phone with a guy at my local store.

There are no 2018s nor 2019s left, at least not in the Mid-Atlantic, and seemingly anywhere. My match profile isn't specifically "2019-only", its any MR with my color and wheel choice. And it simply won't match. The one match I had on Saturday for a Dec 30 made car was already delivered to another customer (wow, so fast!). So now i'm left unmatched, which he said he doesn't see often.

He's going to try to see if they can offer me a deal on a long-range. I cited the premium interior as my main reason for wanting MR over SR+. But since there aren't any on the lot, it unlikely they can work me a deal.

Also, they've not been told how to handle MR orders that won't match due to low inventory. Meaning they don't have the directive from HQ to match customers to LR.

The good news is that they're highly incentivized to get this all resolved by the end of the quarter.

Ugh. I just got off the phone with a guy at my local store.

There are no 2018s nor 2019s left, at least not in the Mid-Atlantic, and seemingly anywhere. My match profile isn't specifically "2019-only", its any MR with my color and wheel choice. And it simply won't match. The one match I had on Saturday for a Dec 30 made car was already delivered to another customer (wow, so fast!). So now i'm left unmatched, which he said he doesn't see often.

He's going to try to see if they can offer me a deal on a long-range. I cited the premium interior as my main reason for wanting MR over SR+. But since there aren't any on the lot, it unlikely they can work me a deal.

Also, they've not been told how to handle MR orders that won't match due to low inventory. Meaning they don't have the directive from HQ to match customers to LR.

The good news is that they're highly incentivized to get this all resolved by the end of the quarter.

Seems like they are short now with everything. I think they are hopeful in getting the sales before next week so maybe they will ramp shipping in the next few days. The long range guys are waiting too so that’s why I don’t think they will upgrade anyone unless they don’t have enough batteries left.

I went to the showroom and asked if they had any MR, but they 1. The demo with 200 miles. It had a curbed rim and wouldnt discount it.
So i dont know which one we are going to get. Our lease is up in may. Debating on SR+, LR RWD and LR AWD. We live on long island, ny so leaning towards awd for the snow if the winter. Price is a big factor us. With the price increase, we were hoping to get a MR.