Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS 2015 rear wheels alignment - negative camber issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have the issue with the camber on the rear wheels on my MS 85 2015 (Rear motor version).

After the motor service (the subframe was removed, as well as upper suspension arms) and reassembly, I faced the issue of enormous rear tire wear on the inner side. On the photo - this is what happened after ~2500km. I never had such problems before, with the same upper arms and all other parts.

It looks like there is no "official" way of how to align the rear camber, and the factory spec value for it is -1.35, which I find very strange. The rear toe is fine aligned and in specs.

What could be a solution, except buying a custom upper adjustable arms? It is very strange for me that after the rebuild the issue appeared, even though all parts are the same and aligned.

And if there is no other way - what should be the value for the rear camber in case of adjustable arms?

d4c98f11-44eb-42b6-b3b8-b68d281545ab.jpeg

Hello, I have the issue with the camber on the rear wheels on my MS 85 2015 (Rear motor version).

After the motor service (the subframe was removed, as well as upper suspension arms) and reassembly, I faced the issue of enormous rear tire wear on the inner side. On the photo - this is what happened after ~2500km. I never had such problems before, with the same upper arms and all other parts.

It looks like there is no "official" way of how to align the rear camber, and the factory spec value for it is -1.35, which I find very strange. The rear toe is fine aligned and in specs.

What could be a solution, except buying a custom upper adjustable arms? It is very strange for me that after the rebuild the issue appeared, even though all parts are the same and aligned.

And if there is no other way - what should be the value for the rear camber in case of adjustable arms?

View attachment 1050265
As far as I know you need aftermarket arms to get the camber reasonable(much tighter than Tesla's listing).
Though those tires look like they have a lot more than 2500km on them to be down to the wear bars or else I think you've got some toe or other issues as well...

Reactions: jatguy

View attachment 1050265
I went for N2itive and all is great now with way better handling.

As far as I know you need aftermarket arms to get the camber reasonable(much tighter than Tesla's listing).
Though those tires look like they have a lot more than 2500km on them to be down to the wear bars or else I think you've got some toe or other issues as well...
Thanks!
What could be the other issues?
Before the motor repair these tires had ~30000 km without any issues and uneven wear, and I've never even thought that this could be the problem. What else could be wrong after reassembling the upper arms?

Well if those tires were already worn down then I would think it could just be a camber issue. Get a set of adjustable camber and use N2itive instructions for what the alignment should actually be.
Also if you're running 21's it will be considerably harder to get the tires to wear evenly.

Well if those tires were already worn down then I would think it could just be a camber issue. Get a set of adjustable camber and use N2itive instructions for what the alignment should actually be.
Also if you're running 21's it will be considerably harder to get the tires to wear evenly.
Thanks, after this incident I've already switched to new 19's, since 21's are just too hard/expensive to maintain for me.
Do you know your current camber angle? Where you given a spec sheet showing before and after alignment values?
Yes, just measured today. Right -1.9 Left -2.2.

After some talks and clarifications, it turned out that these adjustable arms are not certified in Europe, so it will be illegal to use them and I will not be able to pass any annual inspection.
Taking into account only the original parts - in which part do you assume is most probably the issue? Could it be the coil spring compressed?

After some talks and clarifications, it turned out that these adjustable arms are not certified in Europe, so it will be illegal to use them and I will not be able to pass any annual inspection.
Taking into account only the original parts - in which part do you assume is most probably the issue? Could it be the coil spring compressed?
When I got my 15 last year I believe it had cam bolts on the inner side of the factory camber arms. Can you use this to get it at least closer?

When I got my 15 last year I believe it had cam bolts on the inner side of the factory camber arms. Can you use this to get it at least closer?
There is an adjustment screw at the end of a front upper arm, it is used for the toe adjustment, maybe slightly affecting the camber. Even if I turn it to the max. positive camber it is still far not enough, and the toe is really bad then.

I believe that the camber is controlled mainly by the upper rear arm, which is fixed from the factory.