Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS MCU upgrade or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest news seems to be they've put the price up and its now nearer £2k again. For AP1 I struggle with its worth, for cars with the Tesla AP system its a way to unlock some of the features but buying a decent ipad is still a lot cheaper if you're not that bothered. I just don't get the need to use the screen as a browser or sit crooked in my seat to play games but then I don't sit for an hour a couple of times a week at a supercharger.

The latest news seems to be they've put the price up and its now nearer £2k again. For AP1 I struggle with its worth, for cars with the Tesla AP system its a way to unlock some of the features but buying a decent ipad is still a lot cheaper if you're not that bothered. I just don't get the need to use the screen as a browser or sit crooked in my seat to play games but then I don't sit for an hour a couple of times a week at a supercharger.
I didnt know about the £2000 cost, i hope they will honor my 31st visit at £1400. Is this cost also £2k for non AP and AP1 cars ? Or more specifically for AP2+ cars?

I do see the value in stress relief! Knowing the car either needs to, or will one day, lag, bug or even worse breakdown just to then be entitled to a replacement emmc under recall and then be stuck with a laggy as hell mcu1 forever. Not to mention the 3g will be turned off at some point soon, so will have to spend £450 to get LTE upgraded on the mcu1.
I am planning on doing a lot of driving in Europe and the constant fear of the above happening is not worth it for me at all.
As mentioned before, paying for LTE upgrade, buying an ipad and paying data connectivity for the ipad are all extra costs and then not having the sound through the sound system will need more time/money to find a work around/hack as streaming sound over bluetooth is terrible lipsync in my experience so far on mcu1.
I guess some people who just need/use the mcu for the radio and opening panoroof and charge port, then the risk of breaking down and getting the emmc recall done would be a prefered choice maybe. But not at all for me.