TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

MS -> MX, Trade-in vs RVG, Timing

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by MiddKid, Jan 4, 2016.

  1. MiddKid

    MiddKid Member

    Jan 3, 2014
    Hey all,
    Looking for some feedback from the experts. My situation:

    My P85 will be 2 years old in March (specs in sig). Currently at 29K miles. Love the car to death. I've made the decision to exchange it for a Model X for two core reasons:
    - My only hesitation about buying the P85 almost 2 years ago was the lack of AWD. My family is constantly up in the mountains in the winter and the P85 stays in the garage while we have to take the ICE SUV. I'd love to make the MX my main AWD vehicle with the ICE SUV as our backup.
    - Three kids and the rear-facing seats have been wonderful. But my two youngest are just about at the maximum capacity. I need the seating for 7 but when they grow out of the rear-facing I'm back down to 5. Model X solves that.

    I purposefully financed through Tesla and have a Resale Value Guarantee of just over $54K that would come into effect on 3/26/17. With the lack of a "D" and no Autopilot hardware I'm feeling like the RVG landed up being good insurance.

    If I'm not mistaken we should be coming up (March of this year?) on the first round of owners eligible for the RVG. Has anyone started the process? Any sense for how the value holds up versus trade-in value? I'm wondering if people have any sense on where the market is trending and if I'm better off starting the trade-in process now versus the RVG 14 months from now.

    Also, does anyone have any sense on how timing works with the MX orders? If I'm going to RVG, then I'd need my car in March 2017...not this year. Does that mean I wait to put a deposit down? Or can I put a deposit down now and then defer to March of 2017?

    All questions I'm going to ask Tesla too but curious if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks all.
  2. MsElectric

    MsElectric Active Member

    Oct 11, 2014
    New York
    Before you go forward with RVG I suggest that you at least try to sell private party for RVG + $2,000. You only have $2K to gain.

    If you do decide to sell private party, the sooner the better as other cars will likely come on the market within the next several months, especially if the Model S receives a facelift.

Share This Page