Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Plaid vs Taycan vs EQS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My preference is to get the MS LR… but most of the MS LR are over-priced….. for just another 15K than the average over-priced MS LR on the market, I can get a Plaid with FSD…. I would rather pay the additional 15K and get Plaid with FSD, than a standard MS LR…. Better value for the money and better also return when I sell the car. Seems like there is a lot of MS LR owners just posting their cars out there waiting for a fish. Not a single car has sold unless the asking price drops to mid 60s …. This is a trend I noticed on facebook too with M3 and MY… people are posting their M3 or MY for the same exact price that they are being sold new by Tesla now with the 7500 tax credit… Like what are they looking for!!!??? Sell their M3 and MY for 42K and then get a brand new one for 40K with tax credits? Just makes no sense…. And iwth all due respect, this is only happening with Tesla.. just a bunch of sellers testing the water out shooting for the moon with non of the cars selling and just causing a false idea for serious buyers about a false inflation of the vehicle prices. Only the Plaid owners are asking for reasonable money.
The one on carsandbids closed at 63,500......

Coming from many MB, BMW, Porsche, and Audi's, and currently have a 2022 Model S LR, maybe my opinion can help you in your search.

Luxury/Comfort/Noise: Mercedes EQS, BMW i7, or Audi Q8 E-tron. Nothing beats German luxury still and its not even close when compared to the Tesla.

Tech/UI: Tesla Model S. Not even close. FSD is mind blowing to me and the ease of use of the car is wonderful. It is not the best car in the world but it is the best EV car in the world to me. However, remember this is a premium car not a luxury car and you must go in with that mindset or you will be disappointed.

Sport: Porsche Taycan. It's a Porsche, enough said.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
Coming from many MB, BMW, Porsche, and Audi's, and currently have a 2022 Model S LR, maybe my opinion can help you in your search.

Luxury/Comfort/Noise: Mercedes EQS, BMW i7, or Audi Q8 E-tron. Nothing beats German luxury still and its not even close when compared to the Tesla.

Tech/UI: Tesla Model S. Not even close. FSD is mind blowing to me and the ease of use of the car is wonderful. It is not the best car in the world but it is the best EV car in the world to me. However, remember this is a premium car not a luxury car and you must go in with that mindset or you will be disappointed.

Sport: Porsche Taycan. It's a Porsche, enough said.
Also have been shopping, and I agree. My Model S is an excellent EV, even after 8 years, but I am very tired of its poor ride quality (coil suspension), excessive road and wind noise, and uncomfortable seats. Unfortunately, I did not find the newest Tesla cars I have driven to be much better in the ride and noise departments....

Also have been shopping, and I agree. My Model S is an excellent EV, even after 8 years, but I am very tired of its poor ride quality (coil suspension), excessive road and wind noise, and uncomfortable seats. Unfortunately, I did not find the newest Tesla cars I have driven to be much better in the ride and noise departments....
Really? You didn’t find the air suspension and interior sound better in a new S vs an 8 plus year old one? I was shocked at how quiet and smooth the new ones are by comparison.

Im also in the market to upgrade, test drove the new long range, and really liked the car.
Then went over to Porsche and test drove a Taycan turbo and absolutely loved it! Everything about it to me was perfect, it was literally the perfect car for me, had almost every option I wanted, HOWEVER the pricing is just crazy, the dealer wanted 120k for a 2020 with 7k miles.
For 40k less I can get a 2023 LR with less than 1k miles, essentially a brand new vehicle.

The Taycan to me was a much better vehicle, but that’s subjective since not everyone will value the same things equally. To me I care less about 0-60 than I do the build quality, I’m sure many others would value 0-60 performance more and care very little about build quality.

At the end of the day I couldn't justify paying 40 grand more for a 3 year older vehicle. So now I’m just waiting on the prices to drop on taycans, especially when the refresh comes out. But I also have no problem going with a long range, it’s still a damn good car!

Now if the dealership was a little flexible and reasonable on the price and sold it for 100k, I would have no problem paying 20k premium over a newer long range.

Im also in the market to upgrade, test drove the new long range, and really liked the car.
Then went over to Porsche and test drove a Taycan turbo and absolutely loved it! Everything about it to me was perfect, it was literally the perfect car for me, had almost every option I wanted, HOWEVER the pricing is just crazy, the dealer wanted 120k for a 2020 with 7k miles.
For 40k less I can get a 2023 LR with less than 1k miles, essentially a brand new vehicle.

The Taycan to me was a much better vehicle, but that’s subjective since not everyone will value the same things equally. To me I care less about 0-60 than I do the build quality, I’m sure many others would value 0-60 performance more and care very little about build quality.

At the end of the day I couldn't justify paying 40 grand more for a 3 year older vehicle. So now I’m just waiting on the prices to drop on taycans, especially when the refresh comes out. But I also have no problem going with a long range, it’s still a damn good car!

Now if the dealership was a little flexible and reasonable on the price and sold it for 100k, I would have no problem paying 20k premium over a newer long range.

Same here…. Going through the debate of whether I should go to the EQS 580 or the MS LR/Plaid. The price difference between the two (pre-owned) is not huge. All am hearing everywhere is that EQS has much better real-life** mileage as well as more luxury and ride comfort. Hence deciding whether the Tesla UI and technology worth it or not in exchange to less comfort and luxury is a tough decision. I don’t care much about charging stations as Mbenz has already landed a deal to use Tesla chargers (even if that will take a year to implement)… I like the interior of the EQS 580 a lot, but mileage is the one that I though is impressive…. There seem to be at least a good 50-60 miles advantage in real life for the EQS 580 when compared to the MS with the larger wheel setup. Real life range of EQS seems to be consistently higher than the factory/EPA reported range, wherease Tesla is the complete opposite. Both have an okay range, but again, luxury-comfort vs Tech and FSD is the comparison I need to carefully evaluate.

Reactions: AMPd
Same here…. Going through the debate of whether I should go to the EQS 580 or the MS LR/Plaid. The price difference between the two (pre-owned) is not huge. All am hearing everywhere is that EQS has much better real-life** mileage as well as more luxury and ride comfort. Hence deciding whether the Tesla UI and technology worth it or not in exchange to less comfort and luxury is a tough decision. I don’t care much about charging stations as Mbenz has already landed a deal to use Tesla chargers (even if that will take a year to implement)… I like the interior of the EQS 580 a lot, but mileage is the one that I though is impressive…. There seem to be at least a good 50-60 miles advantage in real life for the EQS 580 when compared to the MS with the larger wheel setup. Real life range of EQS seems to be consistently higher than the factory/EPA reported range, wherease Tesla is the complete opposite. Both have an okay range, but again, luxury-comfort vs Tech and FSD is the comparison I need to carefully evaluate.
I wanted to like the EQS design, I just can’t. It also feels too posh for me, too luxurious if that makes any sense.

I’m also not much into tech or the self driving.
Have you considered renting an EQS to really test it out?

I’ve been checking turo every now and then hoping a Taycan would be available to rent, id love to spend a day with it and get a better feel for it. Although the test drive was nice, it’s hard to truly experience it on a 15 minute drive with a sales guy breathing down your neck. (No offense to the sales guy he was great, very professional, very nice guy)

My local enterprise advertises a Taycan in their ev line up, but when I showed up to rent one they said they don’t actually have any, the closest location would be about 90 miles from me.

If you’re coming from an S class, you will see the difference in comfort and ride significantly especially you’re looking for the plaid. I came from driving a panamera and I didn’t see much difference and actually preferred the Model S interior. But for you will be different. My tip, go to Tesla showroom and drive the car for 30 mins, you will know if that’s what you want or not. Personally I picked the Model S because of convenience of charging infrastructure and it looks way nicer than the EQS. EQS is more similar to the S class. So your choice.

Really? You didn’t find the air suspension and interior sound better in a new S vs an 8 plus year old one? I was shocked at how quiet and smooth the new ones are by comparison.
Unfortunately, I have not driven a new Model S, just the Model Y and the X. As I wrote, the X was very noisy and seemed to be "about" as noisy as my S. But even if it is somewhat better, it was far noisier than the Mercedes and Audi cars I have test driven. Unpleasantly noisy.
As for smooth, I would need to take a longer ride over some specific streets to be sure, but it seemed as if the X was still not as good as i expected, even if it might have been better than the S. I was really surprised at the noise and roughness. Probably spoiled because I drove the X literally a few minutes after driving an Audi eTron, which is just so much quieter and smoother, one of the most pleasant car cabins I have ever experienced.

Unfortunately, I have not driven a new Model S, just the Model Y and the X. As I wrote, the X was very noisy and seemed to be "about" as noisy as my S. But even if it is somewhat better, it was far noisier than the Mercedes and Audi cars I have test driven. Unpleasantly noisy.
As for smooth, I would need to take a longer ride over some specific streets to be sure, but it seemed as if the X was still not as good as i expected, even if it might have been better than the S. I was really surprised at the noise and roughness. Probably spoiled because I drove the X literally a few minutes after driving an Audi eTron, which is just so much quieter and smoother, one of the most pleasant car cabins I have ever experienced.
I test drove a new Model S today and its improved compared to our one from a couple years ago. The ride & noise still not as smooth or quiet as our BMW but better than our last Model S. It looked like the fit & finish was a bit better but could be due to it being the demo car. Definitely liked the cooled front seats and the screen adjustment.

The demo experience today was terrible though, told us we only get 10 minutes even though we reserved a 30 minute spot for both of us to try it out, and didn't walk us through the new features or offer to answer any questions we had. Got the, we're busy today, but in the showroom must of been 5 Tesla folks just sitting around. Chalking it off to the luck of the draw of who "helped" us.

I test drove a new Model S today and its improved compared to our one from a couple years ago. The ride & noise still not as smooth or quiet as our BMW but better than our last Model S. It looked like the fit & finish was a bit better but could be due to it being the demo car. Definitely liked the cooled front seats and the screen adjustment.

The demo experience today was terrible though, told us we only get 10 minutes even though we reserved a 30 minute spot for both of us to try it out, and didn't walk us through the new features or offer to answer any questions we had. Got the, we're busy today, but in the showroom must of been 5 Tesla folks just sitting around. Chalking it off to the luck of the draw of who "helped" us.
That was my experience as well, they told me I had 15 minutes and the cars nav already had a route programmed. Nice little 10 minute drive. But at least they let me do it on my own, without any sales pressure

Reactions: paratrooper
A few things to keep in mind:

1) MB EQS/EQE have larger 110kWh battery packs, so that might explain the extra range capability (though I believe they are less energy efficient compared to the MS LR and 3/Y).

2) Tesla model consistency seems to vary greatly. Some folks get a well crafted car, while others get panel gaps and ineffective weatherstripping.

3) It seems like Tesla ride comfort is optimized with fresh new tires and the ride deteriorates quickly as the tires wear. The European cars seem to have tuned suspensions that keep the ride comfort to a more desirable level longer as the tires wear compared to Tesla models.

4) While the worst energy guzzler, the Audi e-Tron SUV/CUV is a pretty good bargain as a used car. I'm seeing 2019 models for as low as $34K...I think they are flooding the market as lease-returns.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I wanted to like the EQS design, I just can’t. It also feels too posh for me, too luxurious if that makes any sense.

I’m also not much into tech or the self driving.
Have you considered renting an EQS to really test it out?

I’ve been checking turo every now and then hoping a Taycan would be available to rent, id love to spend a day with it and get a better feel for it. Although the test drive was nice, it’s hard to truly experience it on a 15 minute drive with a sales guy breathing down your neck. (No offense to the sales guy he was great, very professional, very nice guy)

My local enterprise advertises a Taycan in their ev line up, but when I showed up to rent one they said they don’t actually have any, the closest location would be about 90 miles from me.
The EQS, like most MBs, is a lady's car, more specifically a grandma's car. It's luxurious but really goofy looking, and not sporty at all. I wouldn't be caught dead in one, but I guess everyone is different. To the OP - Not mentioned here, but have you considered the new BMW i5? It's also a bit odd looking, but in a butch kind of way, and the interior is very nice, plus you know the driving dynamics will be good.

The EQS, like most MBs, is a lady's car, more specifically a grandma's car. It's luxurious but really goofy looking, and not sporty at all. I wouldn't be caught dead in one, but I guess everyone is different. To the OP - Not mentioned here, but have you considered the new BMW i5? It's also a bit odd looking, but in a butch kind of way, and the interior is very nice, plus you know the driving dynamics will be good.
The EQS sedan has strange back seats. I can’t imagine they are that comfortable for passengers, especially on longer trips. What is the actual range of a 450 EQS? EPA is really annoying how they have to different range tests and Lucid/Tesla take the overly optimistic one and Mercedes/BMW take the conservative one. Confuses the marketplace that way. Refresh Model S and Lucid look much better than EQS on exterior.

Would be nice if the EQS had a frunk and I also think there infotainment system is clumsy, but at least they have CarPlay.

Curious to try the BMW i5, but advertised range is not great unless it way over performs.

If you travel, purchasing any EV other than Tesla makes me nervous trying to find EV chargers that are reliable. That is the last thing I want to do on a trip. With Tesla you just pull in charge and then go. So impressive.

Reactions: Michael24
As we’re talking here my 2018 model S decided to die on me yesterday. Everything opens except the IC screen. Possibly the 12v battery is dead but nothing happened when I tried to use an external battery.

Roadside was useless. Asked me to call service center. SC asked me to call roadside. After back and forth, car was finally towed to the SC and I don’t have a loaner.

It gets very tiring dealing with the ineptitude of Tesla customer service. They are great cars except when you need service out of warranty. I just ordered an EQS suv for a lease. Lots of new EV’s coming in over the next few years. Don’t want to tied down to a particular brand.

As we’re talking here my 2018 model S decided to die on me yesterday. Everything opens except the IC screen. Possibly the 12v battery is dead but nothing happened when I tried to use an external battery.

Roadside was useless. Asked me to call service center. SC asked me to call roadside. After back and forth, car was finally towed to the SC and I don’t have a loaner.

It gets very tiring dealing with the ineptitude of Tesla customer service. They are great cars except when you need service out of warranty. I just ordered an EQS suv for a lease. Lots of new EV’s coming in over the next few years. Don’t want to tied down to a particular brand.
Were you at home when the car died?

Don’t think the external battery is to reboot the computer. New 12v battery and you’ll likely be on your way.