Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the models with the 10kw Charger, with DC Fast Charge a good option?

Also, what are ppl in California paying for yearly reg?

Also, around here in So Cal, I notice hardly no MS owners ever have their sunroof open, I LOVE having a sunroof and almost every vehicle I have owned has had a sunroof. I actually prefer the fresh air vs. A/C. Why don't owners hardly have the sunroof open?

Thanks!

Yes. It's good. But you want faster home charging speed, you want dual charger (10+10=20kW charger) on a 100 ampere breaker.

Why don't owners hardly have the sunroof open?

If you are driving at freeway speed, nature can be noisy (wind).

If you park, watch out for those birds, leaves, dust, and lately, rain!

Insurance seems to put EV's in another category. I was shocked when I insured my Leaf, but at least pleasantly surprised that my rates barely went up moving up into the MS. With such a price difference, I expected a big jump in rates.

Thanks everyone! I'm already on it w/ my insurance agent and another agent to get some quotes.

From reading other posts I know there are wait times for things coming from the factory, but after you put a deposit down, how long are ppl waiting for delivery?

Seems like CA cars, except maybe P100D's, are always leaving the factory at the end of a calendar quarter. That would be a good first guess. Probably too late for March, so June might be your next shot. Time of order doesn't seem to matter as much as long as you can get in before the quarter's production fills up.

Also, what are ppl in California paying for yearly reg?

Also, around here in So Cal, I notice hardly no MS owners ever have their sunroof open, I LOVE having a sunroof and almost every vehicle I have owned has had a sunroof. I actually prefer the fresh air vs. A/C. Why don't owners hardly have the sunroof open?

Thanks!
Just remember the AC in-car charger doesn't affect DC charging speed.

So supercharging is the same speed no matter what in-car charger you have. The supercharger charges the batteries directly, bypassing the cars own charger. Rate is about 90kW.

The in-car AC charger can be upgraded to 16.5kW but if your charging source can't deliver that much you don't get any benefit from upgrading.

As for sunroof, I also love using mine! But it gets noisy above about 50kph (~30mph).

$595 is a steal for registration! I was living in NV when I obtained my MS. NV registration is 2% of MSRP (no state income tax? They get you one way or another!). IIRC I paid something like $1400 for my first year of registration. Moving to TX registration is unbelievably cheap, $50 or so. I pay $2150 a year to insure here as well through AAA.

The sunroof has a recommended open setting that is quieter than the full open. I have some sunshade/screens that I put in the opening which seem to help with the buffeting (or just crack a window). I love having my sunroof open when I can!

Lastly, I suggest dual chargers if you can get them. With dual chargers, and a 100AMP breaker (220 on the main breaker) set up with HPWC I recharge at about 50mi hr give/take. I have a 100AMP breaker in preparation for next Tesla that supports higher power.

The neat thing about Texas is we have a deregulated energy market here. I was able to sign up with a power provider that gives free electricity between 9pm-6am, so naturally, that's when I charge!