Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS sometimes not recognizing driver from keyfob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I both drive our Model S, each has our own keyfob, and each has our own driver profile.

But, it seems like perhaps half the time the car doesn't realize who is who. I'm not talking about when we are both entering the car, I'm talking about when I'm going to the car, and nobody else is around. How can the car know with 100% accuracy that my keyfob belongs to the car (e.g. yes, unlock the doors!), but not be sure it is me (e.g. not switching the driver profile)?

My wife and I both drive our Model S, each has our own keyfob, and each has our own driver profile.

But, it seems like perhaps half the time the car doesn't realize who is who. I'm not talking about when we are both entering the car, I'm talking about when I'm going to the car, and nobody else is around. How can the car know with 100% accuracy that my keyfob belongs to the car (e.g. yes, unlock the doors!), but not be sure it is me (e.g. not switching the driver profile)?

I've had the same issue. My keyfob is linked to my profile, and most of the time it doesn't switch to my profile when I get in. In our case we only have 1 profile linked to a keyfob. I wasn't sure if I set something up wrong, or just a software bug. Not a big deal, would assume if a software bug it'll get fixed soon enough.

Here is what I have noticed:

- Walk up on drivers side with KF1 and last use KF1, no KF2 anywhere near, always good.
-Walk up on drivers side with KF1 after KF2 was last used, sometimes KF1 isn't recognized.
-Walk up on drivers side with KF1, KF2 near (even in house) profile sometimes changes to KF2
-Sometimes the profile adjust everywhere but seat and wheel.
-Walk up on passenger side, no affect on profile

Most of the time it works fine, usually the most common issue is when KF2 is somewhat near.

Either way with KF2 being 6'2 and KF1 being 5'3, I'm happy with the ability of profiles in cars, even with slight glitches.

I've recently noticed that my seat position does not change when I get out of the car and/or when I get in. Until this week whenever I got in the seat was all the way back and steering wheel up, my Exit position. After getting in, I selected my name and all my settings took place. Now the seat does not go back by itself like it has in the past. I wondered why it always went back to my "Exit" setting when I got out, without my doing anything but thought this was a great feature. It no longer does that. I have not had a software download.Hopefully, this is clear to the reader.