Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS Standard Range no AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed this when comparing models on the Tesla website - they don’t mention AWS for the MSSR:
IMG_6426.jpeg

Thought consensus was that the SR MS was just software range limited, could this mean they plan to release an actual different model, like with a rear wheel drive???

Noticed this when comparing models on the Tesla website - they don’t mention AWS for the MSSR:

Thought consensus was that the SR MS was just software range limited, could this mean they plan to release an actual different model, like with a rear wheel drive???
Unless something is new, "Dual Motor" has been the equivalent of "AWD "and it would be redundant to put those 2 together as "AWD Dual Motor."

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I had an order for the Standard range that I just switched to Long Range last minute (i took delivery of my Long Range just today).

The car is basically the same. In fact, they said they could technically get a Long Range (same exact car) from factory and just label it as a Standard Range and edit the Window Sticker… it’s only the software that has the range/battery capacity locked. That’s what I was told by the general manager.

Anyway I ended up ordering the long range despite the attractive price point of standard range.

I had an order for the Standard range that I just switched to Long Range last minute (i took delivery of my Long Range just today).

The car is basically the same. In fact, they said they could technically get a Long Range (same exact car) from factory and just label it as a Standard Range and edit the Window Sticker… it’s only the software that has the range/battery capacity locked. That’s what I was told by the general manager.

Anyway I ended up ordering the long range despite the attractive price point of standard range.

Just a place marker here: One day you'll regret it. ;)

Just a place marker here: One day you'll regret it. ;)

@kg7jo- I am willing to take the challenge. I bet I will NOT ... because I got my long range at 9K discount and I traveled to a nearby state wherein Tesla sales are too low and they have inventory on discount. The car manufactured date was just 3 weeks ago, VIN was never ever assigned to anyone. So now if I got the Long Range for nearly same price as standard range, why would I ever regret it>?

It is foolish to get the standard when nearly half Model S inventory cars now are on a 9K discount, and even the Plaid are on 10K discount (in states wherein Tesla sales are low)!!... My tickets costed be 300 bucks to get the car from out of state. There is just no way on earth that un-locking the range on the standard would even get close to what I paid for LR. Even if they offer unlock for 3K only, worst case I ended up breaking even if not even still had gotten a better deal.

Reactions: saj070
@kg7jo- I am willing to take the challenge. I bet I will NOT ... because I got my long range at 9K discount and I traveled to a nearby state wherein Tesla sales are too low and they have inventory on discount. The car manufactured date was just 3 weeks ago, VIN was never ever assigned to anyone. So now if I got the Long Range for nearly same price as standard range, why would I ever regret it>?

It is foolish to get the standard when nearly half Model S inventory cars now are on a 9K discount, and even the Plaid are on 10K discount (in states wherein Tesla sales are low)!!... My tickets costed be 300 bucks to get the car from out of state. There is just no way on earth that un-locking the range on the standard would even get close to what I paid for LR. Even if they offer unlock for 3K only, worst case I ended up breaking even if not even still had gotten a better deal.
Which state did you buy it? Zip code would be interested to see if they have more discount?

I have MS Refresh and looking for a 2nd one for my Daughter

If it’s really the same battery, going to be interesting to see the charging curve. Like if it reaches 100% in the SR as fast as 80% in the LR.
I traveled to get it from Minnesota (there is a Tesla store 30min away from MSP airport).
Then I shipped my car via self-arranged transportation.
They are one of a few who offers generous discount ~9K on inventory MS and MX (new and NOT demos). Almost most others would only offer 9K only if it’s a demo. I also added the 1K referral code. It’s easier for the Plaid too… almost all stores are offering 9K on Plaids…

I had an order for a Standard range and when I saw that one my local salesman was kind to book that Long Range one in the MN state and match it’s VIN to my order! Got it for almost same cost as the Standard.

Reactions: saj070

Were you actually scheduled to pick up a Standard Range? Did anyone actually get one? Or did they cancel it before they actually delivered any?

Were you actually scheduled to pick up a Standard Range? Did anyone actually get one? Or did they cancel it before they actually delivered any?
I switched last minute to long range and took one from inventory with matching spec’s at 9.5K discount. Ended up at same price we would have paid for standard range had we ever got it. With current discounts, am so glad we got the LR when the inventory cars were heavily discounted as its somewhat close to current prices after the discount