Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MSM paint fade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm noticing MSM model 3s that are a few years old - the color looks different, not a sparkly/bluish, and doesn't look as good, quite frankly. However I see newer MSM model 3's and it looks great. Did Tesla start using a different paint recently or does MSM age poorly? I'm currently considering MSM, White, or Blue. I think they all look great, but I love MSM with the black fittings/aero wheels. Thanks!

Example of great color MSM: Pic of your Model 3.......RIGHT NOW! [model 3 pictures thread]

Example of the faded MSM? Tesla Model 3, 2 Years & 50K Miles: What Does Car And Driver Think?

Pretty sure it’s just a matter of being detailed or not.
Agreed. Any car's paint will look dull after a few years if the paint is not washed, decontaminated, polished, and protected on a regular basis. If you love the MSM paint color, I say go for it and have the car ceramic coated shortly after delivery. As long as you wash and maintain the car's exterior, it should look great for the entire time you own it.

I have two MSM cars, a 2018 M3 and a 2020 MY. The color looks great when it is freshly washed. After 5 to 7 days it will start looking more like dirt than MSM. Wash it again and it looks new. That's my experience, anyway. I use ONR Wash & Wax. I have not had the cars detailed nor have I done any extra waxing myself and I think that paint still looks factory new immediately after washing. My only complaint about the color is that it does not stay clean. Maybe if I actually took the time to properly wax the cars they would maintain their clean appearance longer.

I have two MSM cars, a 2018 M3 and a 2020 MY. The color looks great when it is freshly washed. After 5 to 7 days it will start looking more like dirt than MSM. Wash it again and it looks new. That's my experience, anyway. I use ONR Wash & Wax. I have not had the cars detailed nor have I done any extra waxing myself and I think that paint still looks factory new immediately after washing. My only complaint about the color is that it does not stay clean. Maybe if I actually took the time to properly wax the cars they would maintain their clean appearance longer.
dang, i was buying MSM specifically because i thought it looked good when dirty lol

All cars and colors look dull and hazy (not shiny) when dirty, especially after driving through the rain/snow. So, don't drive on rainy days and dust/spot clean it after every drive multiple times a day.
I'm a car detail guy with OCD. LOL