Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MSP85 *DESTROYS* a Chevy Volt .. Epic Drag Racing BEATDOWN!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
more footage coming....

What a terrible angle to shoot that video! I have absolutely no sense for just how bad of a butt kicking that really was (and I'm sure it was an EPIC butt kicking).

Drag races are not normally shot from behind are they? Doesn't it make more sense to place the camera at the finish line?!?

- - - Updated - - -

Volt driver was inexperienced, Tesla driver was just waiting for him to go....

As someone that pretty much grew up at a drag strip that was one of my first thoughts also.

What a terrible angle to shoot that video! I have absolutely no sense for just how bad of a butt kicking that really was (and I'm sure it was an EPIC butt kicking).

Drag races are not normally shot from behind are they? Doesn't it make more sense to place the camera at the finish line?!?

Sometimes it's just not where the people are. Most people hang out at the starting line at drag strips.

This result can hardly be called surprising. But only because of the sheer power of the Model S and not because of the lack of power on the part of the Volt. I have a Volt and traffic lights I 'kill' most other cars (in Sport Mode, without generator). My only complaint is that it has a small lag after pressing the pedal. But the Model S ofcourse is a class on its own. And that's why I have a P85 on order!

Yes he's running the generator. I don't think it's providing direct drive to the wheels. That is only in very rare cases in the Volt, (i.e. low battery and high speed)
"Direct drive" (where the gas engine is mechanically connected to the wheels via the power-split planetary gears) is very common in the Volt when the usable EV battery capacity has been used up and the car has switched to Charge Sustaining (hybrid) mode. This mechanical path from the gas engine is often incorrectly characterized in media articles.

The Volt enters "direct drive" under low torque demand conditions at speeds as low as 35-40 mpg. In other words, during gentle acceleration or steady driving on flat roads. During strong acceleration the Volt uses only its larger 111 kW electric motor alone with power from the battery and also from the gas engine as a generator of the car is in hybrid mode.

The guy hacking the Volt software may have modified it to raise its battery state of charge target so it would enter hybrid mode on a full battery rather than one that is at the typical ~22% level. Or, he might have just been using or modified the existing "mountain mode" that raises the SOC target from 22% to around 40%.