Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-family Level 1 or Level 2 infrastructure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd let this thread go and forgot about until stumbling across it today. I thought I'd come back to it now that the project is nearly complete.
We went with L2 Clipper Creek single port chargers for the tenant's use, and have a couple of dual port chargers for staff and a retail space.
For the tenant chargers, I found a system by DCC Electric, where each charger is directly connected to the tenant's electric service through a smart energy allocation box. Each tenant is individually metered so they'll pay for their charging on their own utility bill. In a main electric room, on the opposite side of a wall where all the meters are mounted, are matching empty DCC boxes. Each tenant's service feeder passes through their box on its way to their apartment. In the parking lot we have the charge spots pre-wired going back to the electric room and stopping at a junction box at the ceiling adjacent to the meter/DCC wall. When a tenant wants a charger, an electrician will wire between that ceiling box and their DCC box and put the smart circuit in the box. The DCC box then monitors power draw from the apartment and whatever is available extra of the apartment's 110A service, up to 40A, becomes available to the charger. If the tenant turned on the stove and dryer, they'd likely get nothing at the charger. In the middle of the night when they're not using much power, they'll get the full 40A at the charger.

I'd let this thread go and forgot about until stumbling across it today. I thought I'd come back to it now that the project is nearly complete.
We went with L2 Clipper Creek single port chargers for the tenant's use, and have a couple of dual port chargers for staff and a retail space.
For the tenant chargers, I found a system by DCC Electric, where each charger is directly connected to the tenant's electric service through a smart energy allocation box. Each tenant is individually metered so they'll pay for their charging on their own utility bill. In a main electric room, on the opposite side of a wall where all the meters are mounted, are matching empty DCC boxes. Each tenant's service feeder passes through their box on its way to their apartment. In the parking lot we have the charge spots pre-wired going back to the electric room and stopping at a junction box at the ceiling adjacent to the meter/DCC wall. When a tenant wants a charger, an electrician will wire between that ceiling box and their DCC box and put the smart circuit in the box. The DCC box then monitors power draw from the apartment and whatever is available extra of the apartment's 110A service, up to 40A, becomes available to the charger. If the tenant turned on the stove and dryer, they'd likely get nothing at the charger. In the middle of the night when they're not using much power, they'll get the full 40A at the charger.
How do you make sure the tenant is the person actually charging? Is there an rfid card or a key for the evse?

What I love about this DCC system and the electric room layout, is that any of the 40 chargers can be connected to any of the 200 tenants. I imagine an old telephone operator plugboard, swapping cables around from one box to another.
1657063836869.png