TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Multi storey car parking in a Model X

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by jamesheard, Sep 19, 2017.

1. jamesheard

jamesheard KTBFFH

Hi
    Just ordered my Model X and occasionally use multi storey car parks such as Heathrow and Gatwick Airport.
    Has anyone safely negotiated the narrow ramps in a Model X.
    Worried about the wheels and tyres although will park in premium area to get a wider space. Thx

2. vrykolas

vrykolas Member

Many times in different parking garages in the US. never had any problems (so far)

3. culverwood

culverwood Member

I clobbered my S's wheels at T2 Heathrow car park but that was my bad driving not the car.

4. jamesheard

jamesheard KTBFFH

Thanks guys US parking garages are a lot bigger than our UK ones unfortunately

• Like x 1
  5. vrykolas

vrykolas Member

Oops. Sorry. Didn't realize this was a UK/Ireland specific thread.

Sometimes I get over exuberant and search for new threads to read

• Like x 1
  6. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

IME its more difficult than in a regular-width car ... but doable. My Wife doesn't take the MS to station and town multi-story car parks as she thinks it's way too much hassle ...

There are some Gaters you can get to protect the alloys. I've seen stories of them coming off and flailing the bodywork ... but I reckon that is rare compared to preventing curb-rash.

7. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

One got me in Crystal City, Va, it had very sharp curve, my S couldn't make it.

8. jamesheard

jamesheard KTBFFH

No problem all replies very welcome !

9. jamesheard

jamesheard KTBFFH

10. arg

arg Supporting Member

Since noone has answered this specific question, my experience (with an S rather than an X):

Heathrow T2 short stay: no problem at all. Also lots of charging facilities conveniently located (on each floor by the entry ramp so easy to spot, but some distance from the lifts so they don't get ICEd).

Heathrow T3 short stay: more awkward design than T2, but still perfectly OK. Charging only on one floor and not immediately obvious where it is.

Gatwick South Terminal short stay: very tight by comparison (both the access ramps and the spaces). I ended up in a space next to the ramp and took a considerable amount of manoeuvring to get into it. Apparently there is charging here, but it's only 3kW and I didn't bother to search for it.

11. jamesheard

jamesheard KTBFFH

Much appreciated that's really useful info. I will take a lift or a cab to Gatwick short stay then as a lot cheaper than refurbing the wheels! Thanks

12. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Seem to remember that its Type-2, AND you get 4 hours FREE parking if you get your ticket endorsed ...

• Like x 1
  13. arg

arg Supporting Member

Seems you're right (in respect of Gatwick only, not at Heathrow): Electric charging points | Gatwick Airport

So doing a pickup at Gatwick you plug in for the free parking but only pick up a trivial amount of charge, while at Heathrow you pay for the parking but get twice as much charge...

Not sure about the ethics of plugging in there if doing longer stay parking in the short-stay (which, booked in advance, can be quite competitive for a few days away).

14. Anode

Anode Member

Definitely trickier than in my previous car which was a LR Discovery..... but I've managed. Last weekend I conquered the multi-storey car park behind Harrods, which has to be one of the worst if anyone else has seen it you'll know what I'm talking about!

• Like x 1
  15. cubbie

cubbie Member

I recently parked a multi storey in Basildon where the spaces had been made bigger but trying to negotiate the bends in my model x was very tight. Ended up scraping front rim. So off to buy some wheels gators. Best to use open car park if possible