Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple Gateways - 3 Powerwalls - switch powerwall assignments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two 200 amp services into my home. So when they installed my 3 powerwalls, they split them up and put 2 powerwalls on Gateway A and 1 powerwall on Gateway B. I have since noticed that my power consumption is greater on Gateway B.

Question 1:
I would like to swap my powerwall configs so that Gateway B has 2 powerwalls and Gateway A has just 1 powerwall. Can the control wires and power wires/breakers just be swapped from one gateway to the other or are they "married" to each gateway?

Question 2:
If I leave the current configuration alone and then add a fourth powerwall (so that I have 2 powerwalls on each gateway), is there some special configuration only available to installers? or is it something I can do without a "certified" installer?

Thanks in advance

I have two 200 amp services into my home. So when they installed my 3 powerwalls, they split them up and put 2 powerwalls on Gateway A and 1 powerwall on Gateway B. I have since noticed that my power consumption is greater on Gateway B.

Question 1:
I would like to swap my powerwall configs so that Gateway B has 2 powerwalls and Gateway A has just 1 powerwall. Can the control wires and power wires/breakers just be swapped from one gateway to the other or are they "married" to each gateway?

Question 2:
If I leave the current configuration alone and then add a fourth powerwall (so that I have 2 powerwalls on each gateway), is there some special configuration only available to installers? or is it something I can do without a "certified" installer?

Thanks in advance
The unique serial numbers of your equipment are registered to each device, and changing that would require re-commissioning the system. If you started messing with things at minimum the installer of your system would know, and may refuse to warranty your system.

Question 1:

Question 2:

Thanks in advance
Interesting - I am about to get scheduled for Solar Roof +4 powerwalls, and I have the same thing - 2x200A panels - I am debating whether to try and backup everything which would require me to have 2 Gateways, versus just going with traditional single gateway and trying to move 4-6 circuits over to the the other panel and designate 1 panel as the official "backup panel" - I frankly can't decide which way to go - what has been your take on it so far? In my case, I would have 2 Powerwalls for each panel if I split between 2 gateways, so nice and even so to speak, though I'd probably want to move a few circuits anyway to better 'even out' the potential load during outages. Any advice you can share on the approach of having 2 gateways? Did it complicate the project in any way for you? Do you see 2 separate 'systems' in the Tesla App on the phone, or how does that appear to the user? Thanks a ton for the insight.

Interesting - I am about to get scheduled for Solar Roof +4 powerwalls, and I have the same thing - 2x200A panels - I am debating whether to try and backup everything which would require me to have 2 Gateways, versus just going with traditional single gateway and trying to move 4-6 circuits over to the the other panel and designate 1 panel as the official "backup panel" - I frankly can't decide which way to go - what has been your take on it so far? In my case, I would have 2 Powerwalls for each panel if I split between 2 gateways, so nice and even so to speak, though I'd probably want to move a few circuits anyway to better 'even out' the potential load during outages. Any advice you can share on the approach of having 2 gateways? Did it complicate the project in any way for you? Do you see 2 separate 'systems' in the Tesla App on the phone, or how does that appear to the user? Thanks a ton for the insight.
I wanted ALL my house backed up, with is why I went with 2 gateways for the PW',s and 2 transfer switches for the generator

In most cases I recommend putting everything you might ever want to backup behind the gateway. However if you have 2 gateways you are always limited in each system to whichever one runs out of juice first. Also you need to decide from the start how to split the PV generation and that's it forever.

If you go with a double gateway, you really really want this split as even as possible based on your usage, so the 2 systems act as close as possible as well as 1 system would. You will have to swipe left or right to see the different gateways activity and there isn't one place to see your house load or PV generation.

In many many cases all that you want to backup can be consolidated behind one gateway even with a 400A or larger service. You need to do a set of very accurate load calculations to see where you are at by the numbers. Then I would factor in how you use the space and how you intend to use it in the future.

In most cases I recommend putting everything you might ever want to backup behind the gateway. However if you have 2 gateways you are always limited in each system to whichever one runs out of juice first. Also you need to decide from the start how to split the PV generation and that's it forever.

If you go with a double gateway, you really really want this split as even as possible based on your usage, so the 2 systems act as close as possible as well as 1 system would. You will have to swipe left or right to see the different gateways activity and there isn't one place to see your house load or PV generation.

In many many cases all that you want to backup can be consolidated behind one gateway even with a 400A or larger service. You need to do a set of very accurate load calculations to see where you are at by the numbers. Then I would factor in how you use the space and how you intend to use it in the future.
If I were to do over, clearly I would work with you, put my entire house from two subpanels to one, and have all the batteries and solar together. Expensive, yep, but gets ride of the issues you bring up

I am planning on having 2 gateways in my house. (I have 2 phase power)
How does this work within the one app? For a single residence
Are the two sets of Powerwalls "seen as one" or are they separated out in the app, then the read out surmounted (or some other arrangement?)
Thanks
@Vines ?

Last edited:
I am planning on having 2 gateways in my house. (I have 2 phase power)
How does this work within the one app? For a single residence
Are the two sets of Powerwalls "seen as one" or are they separated out in the app, then the read out surmounted (or some other arrangement?)
Thanks
@Vines ?

2 gateways = 2 complete separate systems. It would be no different than if you had the systems at 2 different residences.

2 gateways = 2 complete separate systems. It would be no different than if you had the systems at 2 different residences.
Geeez... OK thanks for the replies and help everyone. I just assumed there was a way in the Tesla app to combine everything. No problem. I'll just summate everything in home assistant which I do anyway now I've added the PW to my Solaredge inverter and monitoring. I monitor my meter directly anyway using a Rainforest zigbee monitor. Cheers