Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's unfortunate the Tesla approved company installed it IMO. I installed two 14-50 outlets in my garage myself and used two separate 50A breakers w/6AWG wire and appropriate conduit. I'm not a certified electrician so it's technically an illegal install as well I guess.

The only negative of that is in case of a fire, your insurance company can use that as an excuse to deny coverage. I usually would pay the extra mile for that peace of mind.

• Disagree
Reactions: davewill
I would prefer to not use an extension code. I did contact 2 Tesla-experienced electricians via email with pictures and only one replied. Said too busy to come out but talked on phone and email but when ready to quote only quoted for the one next to the circuit breaker inside the garage with no recommendations on the multiple setup. And the quote of about $850 seemed high for just the one and especially since I would not be using that location at first. So not impressed with his input. I know another electrician that I used before and maybe not hard to just added two NEMA 14-50 outlets. Just wanted to reach out here for others who maybe needed two NEMA 14-50's.
Don't go thru Tesla ... I live in So. Cal and got a quote for $300 if the outlet was in close proximity to panel which mine is.

That's unfortunate the Tesla approved company installed it IMO. I installed two 14-50 outlets in my garage myself and used two separate 50A breakers w/6AWG wire and appropriate conduit. I'm not a certified electrician so it's technically an illegal install as well I guess.

If you used two 50A breakers, each feeding a 14-50 outlet via separate 6AWG wires from a 200 amp panel, I don't see anything illegal unless your state doesn't allow self-install. In my state self-install is permitted, but if there's a fire caused by your install, insurance probably won't cover you. You could also get your handiwork inspected but I'd check on cost prior to request. In many states such as Florida, it's a rip-off.

I finally decided to just install 1 NEMA 14-50. Got a quote for $800 to install it close to the breaker box (just on inside the garage). Decided to get an second opinion from a non-testa recommend electrician and he quoted much more and I was in shock since I had used them before. And it did not include a permit.

Anyway, decided to go ahead with the Tesla Recommended Electrician and was happy with my results. The permit was included which may be required by law but it is also required by Tesla. And Tesla required pictures be taken of the job and sent to Tesla. I like that Tesla was involved.

Since my breaker box would not support a second Nema 14-50 he recommended that if I got a second car just put in a Nema 14-30 since I would not loose that much in charging time. I could go with 2 Wall Chargers but if charging at the same time I would not get as much as going the other way (sharing 50amp) and the cost was much more. So, that is probably what I will do if I get a second Tesla in a couple of years.

A combination of a 50A and 30A outlet may be fine for two Tesla's. The 50A should be good enough to fully recharge an S/X 100 battery pack overnight. And if you have a second Tesla (especially if it is a Model 3, with a smaller battery pack), that may be good enough to handle the charging for the second car. And you always have the option of putting the car needing the most charge on the faster charger, which is basically what we have with an HPWC and 14-50 outlet sharing a 100A circuit.