Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple system failure / Wiring Harness Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add me to the list - happened tonight leaving work. Vin 524xxx

No power steering/regen/traction-control/stability control at first, but that came back after sitting in the carpark for 15 mins while waiting for roadside assistance to answer the phone. Service appt setup, but will call roadside assistance again if it comes back.

No power steering/regen/traction-control/stability control at first, but that came back after sitting in the carpark for 15 mins while waiting for roadside assistance to answer the phone. Service appt setup, but will call roadside assistance again if it comes back.
Sorry to hear that. After a lot of pushing and shoving and grazed knuckles I've managed fo get the leak down to a drip rather than a flood. But I'm still off to MK service at 4am tomorrow to get the wiring and seal checked. It's been leaking badly for months so hopefully I'll make it. I'll report back

Update. So I travelled to Milton Keynes service very early this morning. Decent set of chaps and all done and back on the road north by 7.35am.

They basically checked the seal and also applied a "butyl" sealant to help prevent any further ingress. I'd managed to get it there or thereabouts but they say all should be fine now. They also checked the wiring loom below and it was OK as the leak had been missing it. So they added some "dielectric" paste or somesuch to further protect it. Where there is no damage, they are not replacing the loom. Where there is damage, they are retroffiting a new waterproof connector, albeit they'd run out! Bottom line is they reckon I'm good to go and won't need to go back on this one.

Hopefully that's me sorted for a good while. Good luck and speedy fixes for you folks who have had similar issues.

And me today after some ‘spirited’ driving as late for work. (Hard) reboot did nothing. Put in a service request which told me end of Marcho_O. Called up and told me someone would pick up the service request and would look over the airwaves. Two hours later went back out to the car and fixed. Not sure if was going to repair anyway or Tesla intervened.

Reminds me of a very old Win PC which when thrashed would overheat, come up with all sorts of errors but when it had chance to cool down was Ok again.

And me today after some ‘spirited’ driving as late for work. (Hard) reboot did nothing. Put in a service request which told me end of Marcho_O. Called up and told me someone would pick up the service request and would look over the airwaves. Two hours later went back out to the car and fixed. Not sure if was going to repair anyway or Tesla intervened.

Reminds me of a very old Win PC which when thrashed would overheat, come up with all sorts of errors but when it had chance to cool down was Ok again.
What's the last part of your VIN? (the first 3 of the last 6 digits would be fine I think). Trying to work out when they have supposedly fixed it.

Two hours later went back out to the car and fixed. Not sure if was going to repair anyway or Tesla intervened.
It's not exactly "fixed" the issue is a communications error that seems to happen when the plug gets too wet from a leaking cowl. From what I can tell, in most cases, the error will go away after leaving it idle when it re checks all the comms and the plug has dried out a bit. But if it's happened once, it'll more than likely happen again and there's no telling when it will happen. Until I see some evidence that they patch the firmware to stop it disabling the ABS and traction control, i stand by my assessment that this is a safety issue.

Two hours later went back out to the car and fixed. Not sure if was going to repair anyway or Tesla intervened.

Almost certainly nothing to do with Tesla intervention. When the systems and power steering go they can come back spontaneously (mine did) but, if it's electrical connections affected by water, the underlying cause remains I'm afraid. Do you still have a list of faults on screen referring to loss of steering assistance, stability control, regenerative braking or did they clear?

Electrical connections don't tend to cure themselves of water ingress. It can bridge pins that aren't meant to be bridged, create resistance and corrosion, etc. This doesn't go away if the connector becomes dry again.

Almost certainly nothing to do with Tesla intervention. When the systems and power steering go they can come back spontaneously (mine did) but, if it's electrical connections affected by water, the underlying cause remains I'm afraid. Do you still have a list of faults on screen referring to loss of steering assistance, stability control, regenerative braking or did they clear?

Faults all cleared. When got back in the car 2hrs later it was as if nothing had happened.

Update. So I travelled to Milton Keynes service very early this morning. Decent set of chaps and all done and back on the road north by 7.35am.

They basically checked the seal and also applied a "butyl" sealant to help prevent any further ingress. I'd managed to get it there or thereabouts but they say all should be fine now. They also checked the wiring loom below and it was OK as the leak had been missing it. So they added some "dielectric" paste or somesuch to further protect it. Where there is no damage, they are not replacing the loom. Where there is damage, they are retroffiting a new waterproof connector, albeit they'd run out! Bottom line is they reckon I'm good to go and won't need to go back on this one.

Hopefully that's me sorted for a good while. Good luck and speedy fixes for you folks who have had similar issues.
Glad you got it fixed.
So I take it they must have taken the panel off run a bead of sealer along th Chanel and refitted it?

So my power steering is now disabled when I start driving, but will switch on unexpectedly about 5-10 minutes into the drive, and then is incredibly light. Feels really dangerous. Got to wait another week before its fixed (nearly a month broken).

So my power steering is now disabled when I start driving, but will switch on unexpectedly about 5-10 minutes into the drive, and then is incredibly light. Feels really dangerous. Got to wait another week before its fixed (nearly a month broken).

Are you getting the multiple on screen warnings or purely a steering assistance warning? Is your cowl at the bottom edge of the windscreen fitted well or can you see gaps?

Glad you got it fixed.
So I take it they must have taken the panel off run a bead of sealer along th Chanel and refitted it?
I think so but they didn't have much time to describe exactly what was done. However, your post prompted me to have another quick look and I've just had to reseat the cowl in one place again! That's just ridiculous. I need to try the water test again this evening :(

Water pouring in through a gap doesn't seem like it's normal though, whatever the water resistance status of bits below.

How disappointing to find that so many people have this issue and Tesla have done nothing proactive to manage it.

My VIN falls in this range (444XXX) and had identical issues, although I did not check for water ingress. The issues started after the frosty nights so there may well be ongoing issues next winter too! The car also had issues at delivery (bodywork damage, loose internal trim and driver's side wash/wipe not cleaning the screen).

Machines develop faults, however, cars sold to the public have to meet some standards of manufacturing quality and safety, with implied levels of service support.

Several observations :
(1) The experience of support from Tesla shows they haven't a clue how how to build a customer service culture. No oversight from senior management tasked to build brand reputation.
(2) Where is the 'over-the-air' diagnostic support when the first danger warnings appear? Is this live or has it been stopped? I eventually had to send a screenshot of the alerts 'screen of death'.
(3) There was no recovery offered - despite a car that was dangerous to drive in that the power steering could cut out or in.
(4) Loan cars unavailable mostly - but maybe good thing with an excess of £2500! Promised loan car never materialised, no message as to why.
(5) Uber vouchers sometimes did not activate, never renewed automatically - car off road for 2 weeks, voucher issued for 2 days, then 3 days.

In the end, I wrote a letter under the Consumer Rights Act stating that my car was not of merchantable quality - both in build, safety and service. No acknowledgement of letter, of message through their website, after speaking to the service advisor. The only messages were from the service team - repair was delayed awaiting parts, parts arrived now awaiting a technician and, finally, to collect a repaired car.

Unresolved as I write - the manager is in a meeting (although, of course, there are not enough employees to have a meeting and manage the phones and the customers trying to get their cars booked in or collected).

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
That's pretty shocking.

It seems like this problem could be down to the fact that this connector is not "supposed" to be under this area on the car. On LHD cars I presume it is on the other side, and this leak - if it occurs, I haven't found evidence of it - would not impact it.

Whether the windscreen trim and/or seal is not designed properly for RHD cars or not I don't know, but there is certainly evidence of this affecting quite a few cars in exactly the same way, with a Technical Service Bulletin going around that involves waterproofing the connector(s) impacted, etc.